PsychedelicSam

Very Cold Tincture Method - Try it, You'll like it

First a little background. I have severe chronic pain in a lot of different places and that pain has a tendency to increase once I lie down to sleep. I had been experimenting with tinctures because I could but didn't have any real experience with them. I had gotten some at the co-op but it was a bust. I hadn't been using it for much at the time because I had some good weed and that was enough. Well, one night after a bad day I was having a hell of a time with hip and back pain. Nothing helped, morphine, oxy, ambien, advil-not even tears. I'd been lying there for hours in extreme pain and decided to try my tincture, nothing to lose.

I knew I had a winner a few minutes after I laid back down. The pain was still severe but as I lay there, the pain started to fade. The relief came in waves, slow and easy. At first I wasn't sure. Little pockets of pain were winking out and not coming back with as much intensity, then not at all and those pockets turned into pools and then a flood of relief and I floated off on a cushion of sleep. It wasn't about getting high. That wasn't possible with the pain I had. It was about the relief I felt within minutes, hands down. High is good but relief is best.

This is NOT an original recipe. I did a lot of research and condensed all I found into a fairly easy process and started testing. I wanted something that could be easy to follow so that others would consider doing it too.

It involves a freezer method and my version can be finished in 3 days for some dynamite tincture. No heat at all touches your marijuana anywhere in this process except for the decarb if you choose. The only real heat doesn't come until you're concentrating the final product.

You may say, "I've heard that freezing causes the pot to deteriorate. Why would I want to do that?" Well, I'm glad you asked that question. If you don't package your weed correctly when you freeze, it can deteriorate. What happens is that the trichomes freeze and fall off the bud. So, when you smoke the weed it will have lost those trics and not be as potent. If you could collect those trics, you'd have some good kief. Well, that's kind of what we're doing. We are harvesting those fallen trichomes. We want them to fall off, as many as possible. Those fallen trics are easier for the alcohol to assimilate, like the Bork (Star Trek NG).

So this is my preamble or maybe just a ramble. You decide. I know it's a lot of words but that's what I do. grin

• Like 1

A lot of these tincture recipes give you the amounts you'd need to make a large batch, several ounces minimum as if you're just going to go out and throw away an ounce of your hard earned weed on something so iffey. That's not the case here. While my other recipes use a base of an ounce of top trim and popcorn, this is going to be scaled down to a level that is manageable for many, maybe most.

I'm taking my base and dividing by 4 because the 28g in an ounce is easy to quarter. I'm basically asking you to commit 7g of marijuana. If that's all you have, wait until you're comfortable with it. And while this recipe is designed for a quarter, you can cut it in half and still make enough to make it worth the effort. Once you've made it, you instantly become an expert and a lot of light bulbs will pop on.

While I use trim and popcorn, I am acutely aware that most people don't have access to growers to get good trim. Decent mids should produce a good tincture. I make no claims for brick weed, Kankakee Red ditch weed, AVB, reclaim, etc. If someone wants to get back to us on that, it would be great. Clean the seeds before weighing out your 7g.

The next post will be a list of the equipment you'll need to carry out this adventure. You'll be surprised at how little it takes. They will be geared toward ease and even stealth. I'll try to make a separate entry dealing with stealth techniques that can be used in a dorm room or even with the family in the house. Can you say, "No Smell"? smile

• Like 1

As promised, here's the equipment list.

2 half pint Mason or Kerr jars with lids

Cheesecloth or other bulk filtering material such as silkscreen, clean white t-shirt, pantyhose, etc.

Gold metal coffee filter

Paper coffee filter.

Potato ricer or other press. You can also use a wooden spoon handle if needed.

Double boiler set up near ventilation and away from any flames. This could include a crockpot or saucepan or electric rice cooker with a stainless steel bowl that fits in the opening. This step can easily be modified for various scenarios.

A couple of midsize glass or ceramic bowls (preferably) to use as catch basins.

A glass measuring cup probably would come in handy.

And that's it. Simple so far, heh? It doesn't get any harder.

• Like 1

Here is a short review of the products I have made with this Green/Gold Dragon within the last couple of months.

Unfortunately, I've already used up some of the stuff but such is life. I used my Agave elixir in the soft candies and hadn't initially made much since I had never used it, but now that I know how well it works in candies and as a sublingual I'll be making a lot more. I've also used all of my regular enhanced coconut oil that I leave liquid for coffee and tea. Just ran out of that, but at least I have caps left. I've eaten all my brownies but have some butter saved to make more.

I've made the picture a good size so that you can see all the stuff without squinting when you click on it. I'm gong to start at the back with the mediums I used. Starting on the left and going clockwise:

Edible Mediums:

Glycerin

Blue Agave Nectar

Full pollen raw Honey

Virgin Coconut Oil

Clarified Butter

Edibles and Tinctures/Elixirs

Soft Rose Solid Candy

Glycerin Tincture

Orange flavor GD Tincture

Honey Elixir

Caramel Filled Candy

Fudge

Caramel Chews/Kisses

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, with the dosage adjusted so I could have a bigger cookie.

Dinosaur Eggs

Coconut Oil Capsules

Not an edible or tincture, but just as important-Coconut oil Pain Cream behind the caps.

And in the middle, Butter, one ounce, enough for a batch of brownies, cookies or any other 20 serving edible, when added to the appropriate amount of fresh to meet the recipe.

Well, I hope you'll enjoy these as much as I have. Stay tuned. I'm hoping I can figure out how to add pictures correctly and this is my first attempt.

GDTinctureandEdiblesReview-1.jpg

• Like 1

Green/Gold Dragon Recipe

DECARBOXYLATION:

Bake 7g herbs @ 220F for 25-30 minutes or (less heat for convection and or metal pan). This is variable dependent on the dryness of the reefer. If using seeded pot, cleaned weight should equal 7 grams.

FREEZE:

Place the decarbed 7g herbs in sealed Mason jar into the freezer for 24 hours.

Also place a pint of Everclear or other 190+ proof alcohol in freezer for 24 hours.

After 24 hours add 150 ML to Mason jar with herbals. Shake aggressively for 15 minutes.

Place back in freezer for at least 4 hours and shake again for 15 minutes.

STRAIN:

1. Cheesecloth. Cut your cheesecloth large enough that you can fold it a couple of times finishing with a square about an inch larger than the mouth of your jar. Take the lid off the jar and take the middle out, just leaving the ring. Place the cheesecloth over the top of the jar and screw the lid ring over it tightly. Take a bowl big enough to hold the liquid and turn the jar upside down over it. That will strain the plant material from the alcohol without making a mess. You may have to shake it a bit but with just 7 grams it shouldn't be too bad.

* Don't worry about pressing the material just yet. When it's pretty dry, take off the ring, remove the cheesecloth, put the center back in the lid, seal the lid and put it back in the freezer for 24 yours. You should also have your fresh alcohol in the freezer too. You'll go back and do the 24 hour combine and shake and the next one again, a second run.

2. Gold Coffee Filter. After you've strained the plant material, you're ready for the gold coffee filter. Place it over a container and pour your alcohol solution through it. You'll see a lot of trichome husks that have been stripped of the thc oils. When it dries it will look like a fine blonde kief but there's nothing left in them. Just toss it. You may have to work the filter around a little to get past those husks. If you, don’t have a gold filter you can use paper ones.

3. Paper Coffee Filter. For the third and final filter, take another mason jar without the lid and stick a paper coffee filter into the top. Push the filter into the jar far enough to form a cup and screw the cap ring over it or use a rubber band to secure it to the jar. This will be the slowest part of the process. Pour your GD into the filter until it's full. Keep filling it until it all filters through. Since you've only got about 5 ounces, it shouldn't be too bad. You will have to move the jar around to find fresh spots in the filters. Those husks really gum it up but it's worth the time. You'll get a nice clear Green/Gold Dragon. Of course, you can always filter it again if you're a perfectionist.

4. Now that the filtering is finished, put the lid back on and seal it. Set it aside in a dark cupboard until the second run is complete.

5. Follow all the same steps for the 2nd run. Freeze reefer and alcohol separately for 24 hours then combine and shake for 15 minutes, put mix back in the freezer for 4 hours, then shake, shake, shake for 15 minutes.

6. If you have a press, place a square of cheesecloth or other material over your press, being sure to allow enough on each side to fold over the ball. After you’ve strained the weed, you can dispose of the leftovers as you see fit. If you don't have a press, cut the cheesecloth large enough so that you can pull the corners together and use a wooden spoon handle to wrap them around and then twist. You don't have to squeeze like crazy because the alcohol drains well.

7., 8. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as stated above.

REDUCE

Now we’re ready for the main event, concentrating the extraction by reduction of the alcohol.

1. Set up your double boiler configuration away from flame or other open heat sources. Use a fan for ventilation. If using an electric range, be sure your vent fan is on high. The more ventilation the better. While there won’t be the concentration of vapors there would be for larger quantities, there’s still enough to cause a flash fire if not careful.

2. Have the heat source for your double boilers at a level that causes a gentle boil in the water. If you’re using a crockpot where the water may not boil, just put it as high as you can. If you use an electric rice cooker that only has one temperature, just keep an eye on it so it doesn’t go beyond the desired level. If you don’t have a double boiler set up, air evaporation will work, just slower

* If at all possible, your upper chamber(bowl) of the double bowler should fit snugly in the lower portion a few inches above the water line. This is to prevent loss of steam and therefore water. If it’s a loose fit, keep an eye on the water level and add more as needed.

3. Measure your combined haul from both runs. If you don’t have a measuring device, you can mark a spot halfway down your jar and use that as your guide. As your tincture reduces, you can keep track of the level easier.

4. Add your dilute GD to the upper chamber and reduce it by half. Alcohol boils at a much lower temperature than water and thus will not damage the thc. Depending on your heat source, your solution may bubble a little bit, a rolling boil, or just swirls. What you want at minimum are the swirls. That shows there is action.

5. Finally, this recipe is designed to give you approximately 4 fluid ounces of concentrated Green/Gold Dragon tincture. We used 5oz of alcohol per run instead of 4 because of the small volume. I wanted to make sure the pot had good cover. For larger quantities, that extra bit wouldn’t be necessary. Wouldn’t hurt but would need more reduction. So for the last step, reduce your solution by half, or down to our goal volume, which should be about 4 fl.oz for this size batch, and bottle it. It is now officially ready to sample. As if you haven’t been as it was going along.

And there you have it. I've tried to make the actual steps as simple yet concise as possible. And as stated previously, this recipe is pretty much designed for the novice, the beginner. It does not require a lot of marijuana that could be lost, anything is possible so it could happen. I don't advocate making this or any other cannabis product for the first time with your emergency stash. You don't have to have expensive pot or even buds. I want everyone to be comfortable within themselves with trying this.

Let me know if something is confusing or just plain wrong and I'll get it cleared up. happydance

• Like 1

This is the start of a picture tutorial of each step and then some of this recipe. I'm using the exact steps laid out here for a 7g batch of Gold/Green Dragon. At the same time, I'm making an exact batch with no decarboxylation and will have comparison pictures. There will be a new post for each stage so that the pictures don't get too confusing.

First is prep through the first shake from left to right:

1) Tools and ingredients, 7g Blue Widow sugar trim in plate.

2) 7g pre-freeze

3) 7g & Everclear after 24 hour freeze, ready to shake

4) Comparison of decarbed and non-decarbed batches after first 15 minute shake. Both are equal except for decarb. Left is decarb, right is non. You can see a difference at this level. The decarbed jar is much darker and you can already see a layer of trichome husks, whereas none are visible on the other one.

I'll have pics of 2nd shake and first run filtering. I am also getting pics of a third batch which is a full ounce batch.

[img:left]RecipebatchIngredients.jpg[/img] [img:right]Recipebatch7gprefreeze.jpg[/img]

[img:left]Recipebatch7g1stshake.jpg[/img]

[img:left]Recipebatch7gcomparisonafter1stshake.jpg[/img]

• Like 1

2nd Installment for the recipe pictorial.

We covered through the first shake on the previous post. This will take us through the 2nd shake, strain and filtering.

1) 7g after 2nd shake comparison. Decarbed on the left and non-decarb on the right. The non-decarb is a lighter green but had an equivalent amount of husks.

2, 3, 4) Straining the 1st run plant material.

5) Leave reefer in the jar and place back in the freezer for another 24 hours as well as the remainder of the alcohol, separately.

6) 2nd filter using a gold mesh coffee filter or a paper filter.

7, 8) 3rd filter using a paper coffee filter (very slow)

9) Alcohol extraction solution after final filter before reduction. Place in a dark spot until 2nd run is ready.

10) These are trichome husks that are filtered out during the process. These are still moist but when dry it looks just like some blonde kief. There's nothing left in those because the thc oil has been stripped from them.

[img:left]Recipebatch7g2ndshakecomparison.jpg[/img]

Recipebatch7gstrain1.jpgRecipebatch7gstrain2.jpgRecipebatch7gstrain3.jpgRecipebatch7g2ndfilter.jpgRecipebatch7g3rdfilter1.jpgRecipebatch7g3rdfilter2.jpgRecipebatch7gBackinfreezer.jpgRecipebatch7g1strunfinal.jpgTrichomehusks.jpg

• Like 1

Third installment for the recipe pictorial

We've already covered the complete first run and this post will deal with the 24 hour freeze, mix and first shake of the 2nd run. This is the same as the first run so the only pictures enclosed here shows the solution after the first shake before placing back in the freezer for another 4 hours. And there is a comparison shot of the decarb and raw batches. The decarbed batch is cloudier than the raw and is refracting the light which makes it appear lighter. This batch also seems to have broken the plant material down more.

1) Alcohol solution after 1st shake of 2nd run.

2) Comparison of decarbed and raw batches. Decarb is on the left.

Recipebatch7g2ndrun1stshake.jpgRecipebatch7g1stshake2ndruncomparison.jp

• Like 1

Final Installment for the recipe pictorial

This is going to cover the final strain and filtering as well as the reduction to the final strength. I have only included pictures for the straining process since the final 2 filters are the same as the 1st run.

1) Set-up to strain and press plant material before final 2 filters.

2) Filtered product of each run with the first run on the left. There is more liquid in the second run because I left the plant material wet which added the extra volume.

3) Filtered 2nd run total comparison of decarbed and raw reefer. Decarbed is on the left.

4) Total solution from both runs totaled 8 fl oz after filter absorption and any spillage and ready to reduce.

5) My reduction set up for a small batch. You can see the fan and the exhaust fan and a/c fan are on also. Away from all flame and other open heat sources.

6) Starting the reduction. With this "little dipper" crockpot I was able to reduce it by half in an hour and a half. I didn't let it heat up first and it only gets to 130F, but it worked well. The raw one I used my usual double boiler process and it took a half hour.

7) Reduced by 50%.

8) Net final results of your Green/Gold Dragon: 4fl oz Potency of 1.75g/fl oz. For 2.0g/fl oz, reduce to 3.5 fl oz and for 2.25g/fl oz. I like the last one but your results will revolve around the type of material you use.

9) Comparison of decarbed and raw concentrated Dragon with the raw on the right. At the end they look pretty much the same although the raw tincture is a little greener, probably due to the chlorophyll. I'll do a buzz comparison a little later.

Recipebatch7gfinalstrainandsqueeze.jpgRecipebatch7greadyforreduction.jpgRecipebatch7g2ndruncomparison.jpgRecipebatch7gfinalprereductiontotal.jpgRecipebatch7greductionsetup.jpgRecipebatch7greduction.jpgRecipebatch7gfinalreductionbyhalf.jpgRecipebatch7gConcentratedGreenDragonfinaRecipebatch7gGreenDragonfinalproductcomp

• Like 1

Nice read, but you are heating it. I thought that you made it completely cold. I have a recipe for a cold tincture but it takes months not days or hours.

I am certainly new to all this. I recently tried my hand at making an oil for my vape. I made a tincture with 3.5 g mj and everclear. I did not decarboxylate due to mixed instructions. Some said that the vape process will take care of the process of decarb. I have two questions. Do I need to decarb before making a vape oil?

I followed the QWISO method on this post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/1sjj1r/four_different_methods_for_making_ecig_juice_in/

If so, is there any way to recover? I now have about 5 mL of oil, but have not tried it yet.

Thank you

• Upvote 1

High rmandree

No need to decarb for a vape as it heats the oil to a much higher temp than needed to decarb.  Decarb is needed to get a better buzz from oil or edibles that aren't baked before consuming.

Not sure what you mean about recovering.  You seem to have more oil than the weight of the pot that you started with if your numbers are correct.  5mls of oil at about 0.9g/ml = 4.5g of oil from 3.5g of pot.  Something is off like there is still a lot of alcohol in the oil you made.  Getting 1 - 1.5g of good oil from an eighth is more like it.

I looked at those methods and #4 is the way to go.  They say do the evaporation outdoors if you can but I suggest that you better do it outdoors as the fumes from everclear are highly flammable and as dangerous as butane fumes.  If ISO is used it's just as flammable and also toxic if breathing the fumes in an enclosed space.  The sparks made by the motor in the overhead fan above the stove can easily ignite the fumes and cause a fire if not an explosion.

If cooking off the alcohol in a pan on the stove make sure to have a tight fitting lid for that pan so it there is a fire you can put the lid on and stop the fire.  Heating over a pan of simmering water in a double boiler is the best way to go.  If using a gas stove then you deserve what you get. ;)  Do NOT use water on a solvent fire as you will spread the burning solvent all over the place,  Keeping an ABC or CO2 fire extinguisher handy is a good idea as well.

I usually use distillation to reclaim my solvents, including butane, for reuse but that's a bit more of an advanced topic.

Good luck and be safe!

:peace:

Nice read, but you are heating it. I thought that you made it completely cold. I have a recipe for a cold tincture but it takes months not days or hours.

I know this is old but the answer needs to be in here, anyway. 

The only heat in this method is from the decarb and the final evaporation for concentration. No heat touches the material during extraction.  :)

• Like 1

Would the the not decarboxalate in the crock pot in the reduction?

No, sorry. It takes a temperature of 240°F for an extended time but you can make the tincture without decarbing it and then let it sit for 3 months to naturally decarb. That gives you all the terpenes and cannabinoids without any being cooked off with heat.  :)

• Like 1

Would the the not decarboxalate in the crock pot in the reduction?

No, unfortunately not. It takes a temperature of 240°F for an extended time.  :)

• Like 1

@PsychedelicSam

I followed your recipe for cold tincture in detail. Even got a 'martini shaker machine' so i didn't have to shake it for 15". I couldn't get Everclear because it's become illegal in CA, so used Vodka.  After all the filtering, I tried the result, and no presto, no whamo, no high at all.  I wonder wonder why.

I hope you are still active or can answer my question. For the second run, are you using the same (already macerated) 7g of flower that you used in the first run? Or are you using a new 7g?

• Like 1

Reusing the same pot will not give much if anything if the first extraction is done properly.

Vodka is only 40% alcohol and is not useful for extracting much.

19 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Reusing the same pot will not give much if anything if the first extraction is done properly.

Vodka is only 40% alcohol and is not useful for extracting much.

That's why I was wondering. I have 190 proof ETOH, but the recipe only calls for 7g of flower. Why the second run then? Any ideas?

• Like 1

Generally you just pour some more alcohol on after straining to rinse the same stuff but it's pretty much useless for further extractions after that.

I always just add enough alcohol to cover the pot in a jar whether 7 or 70g.  There's no particular amounts or recipe needed.

If just doing a quick wash for making oil I add enough Etoh to cover the pot.  Shake or stir for a couple minutes then pour it thru a coffee filter, add more alcohol then immediately pour that thru the filter to get the last of the resin.  The pot can be tossed in the compost heap after that.

For smoking oil I keep everything in the freezer overnight including jars and filter funnel.  For a funnel I use the basket from a coffee maker and mount it on a lab stand tho there are lots of ways to make that work.  A standard funnel with smooth sides doesn't work very well as the only place the solvent can get thru is the little bit at the bottom and it quickly plugs up with fine particles.  The coffee basket has ribs all down the sides and bottom to allow better flow.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Generally you just pour some more alcohol on after straining to rinse the same stuff but it's pretty much useless for further extractions after that.

I always just add enough alcohol to cover the pot in a jar whether 7 or 70g.  There's no particular amounts or recipe needed.

If just doing a quick wash for making oil I add enough Etoh to cover the pot.  Shake or stir for a couple minutes then pour it thru a coffee filter, add more alcohol then immediately pour that thru the filter to get the last of the resin.  The pot can be tossed in the compost heap after that.

For smoking oil I keep everything in the freezer overnight including jars and filter funnel.  For a funnel I use the basket from a coffee maker and mount it on a lab stand tho there are lots of ways to make that work.  A standard funnel with smooth sides doesn't work very well as the only place the solvent can get thru is the little bit at the bottom and it quickly plugs up with fine particles.  The coffee basket has ribs all down the sides and bottom to allow better flow.

Are you speaking to the OPs recipe for the very cold method or just in general? Your ideas are interesting. 

• Like 2

Had to go back and read that over.  Seems a lot more involved than it has to be in my opinion but it's for more of a whole plant extract rather than just making oil for smoking.  For a tincture I just add the alcohol to cover the pot in a jar and leave it on a shelf in a closet for a month then strain thru a coffee filter.  Add a bit more booze for a rinse and add that to the first batch.  Then evap off a lot of the booze to concentrate it further if that's what's wanted.

There's a lot of different methods and a lot of different ways to do the same thing.  Alcohol will dissolve both water soluble and oil soluble components where a pure hydrocarbon solvent like butane or naphtha will just dissolve the oils and some waxes depending on how long the pot remains in contact with the solvent.

Books are written on the subject of plant extractions so it's a bit much to go into detail of all the different ways it can be done.

I don't smoke much of my pot in any form and prefer making cocobudder so I can eat it.  Details in the link in my sig about how I do that.

peace.gif

PSAM is the Man

This Man save my life, helped me make a pain cream so I could walk again

You are awesome Sam

Thank You

Not sure ii you ever get over this way but I have a thread here now stop by

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2012 at 2:03 PM, PsychedelicSam said:

Green/Gold Dragon Recipe

DECARBOXYLATION:

Bake 7g herbs @ 240F for 40minutes (Sam Has found 240f @40 mins works best through further Lab Testing on finished product)  (or (less heat for convection and or metal pan). This is variable dependent on the dryness of the reefer. If using seeded pot, cleaned weight should equal 7 grams.

FREEZE:

Place the decarbed 7g herbs in sealed Mason jar into the freezer for 24 hours.

Also place a pint of Everclear or other 190+ proof alcohol in freezer for 24 hours.

After 24 hours add 150 ML to Mason jar with herbals. Shake aggressively for 15 minutes.

Place back in freezer for at least 4 hours and shake again for 15 minutes.

STRAIN:

1. Cheesecloth. Cut your cheesecloth large enough that you can fold it a couple of times finishing with a square about an inch larger than the mouth of your jar. Take the lid off the jar and take the middle out, just leaving the ring. Place the cheesecloth over the top of the jar and screw the lid ring over it tightly. Take a bowl big enough to hold the liquid and turn the jar upside down over it. That will strain the plant material from the alcohol without making a mess. You may have to shake it a bit but with just 7 grams it shouldn't be too bad.

* Don't worry about pressing the material just yet. When it's pretty dry, take off the ring, remove the cheesecloth, put the center back in the lid, seal the lid and put it back in the freezer for 24 yours. You should also have your fresh alcohol in the freezer too. You'll go back and do the 24 hour combine and shake and the next one again, a second run.

2. Gold Coffee Filter. After you've strained the plant material, you're ready for the gold coffee filter. Place it over a container and pour your alcohol solution through it. You'll see a lot of trichome husks that have been stripped of the thc oils. When it dries it will look like a fine blonde kief but there's nothing left in them. Just toss it. You may have to work the filter around a little to get past those husks. If you, don’t have a gold filter you can use paper ones.

3. Paper Coffee Filter. For the third and final filter, take another mason jar without the lid and stick a paper coffee filter into the top. Push the filter into the jar far enough to form a cup and screw the cap ring over it or use a rubber band to secure it to the jar. This will be the slowest part of the process. Pour your GD into the filter until it's full. Keep filling it until it all filters through. Since you've only got about 5 ounces, it shouldn't be too bad. You will have to move the jar around to find fresh spots in the filters. Those husks really gum it up but it's worth the time. You'll get a nice clear Green/Gold Dragon. Of course, you can always filter it again if you're a perfectionist.

4. Now that the filtering is finished, put the lid back on and seal it. Set it aside in a dark cupboard until the second run is complete.

5. Follow all the same steps for the 2nd run. Freeze reefer and alcohol separately for 24 hours then combine and shake for 15 minutes, put mix back in the freezer for 4 hours, then shake, shake, shake for 15 minutes.

6. If you have a press, place a square of cheesecloth or other material over your press, being sure to allow enough on each side to fold over the ball. After you’ve strained the weed, you can dispose of the leftovers as you see fit. If you don't have a press, cut the cheesecloth large enough so that you can pull the corners together and use a wooden spoon handle to wrap them around and then twist. You don't have to squeeze like crazy because the alcohol drains well.

7., 8. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as stated above.

REDUCE

Now we’re ready for the main event, concentrating the extraction by reduction of the alcohol.

1. Set up your double boiler configuration away from flame or other open heat sources. Use a fan for ventilation. If using an electric range, be sure your vent fan is on high. The more ventilation the better. While there won’t be the concentration of vapors there would be for larger quantities, there’s still enough to cause a flash fire if not careful.

2. Have the heat source for your double boilers at a level that causes a gentle boil in the water. If you’re using a crockpot where the water may not boil, just put it as high as you can. If you use an electric rice cooker that only has one temperature, just keep an eye on it so it doesn’t go beyond the desired level. If you don’t have a double boiler set up, air evaporation will work, just slower

* If at all possible, your upper chamber(bowl) of the double bowler should fit snugly in the lower portion a few inches above the water line. This is to prevent loss of steam and therefore water. If it’s a loose fit, keep an eye on the water level and add more as needed.

3. Measure your combined haul from both runs. If you don’t have a measuring device, you can mark a spot halfway down your jar and use that as your guide. As your tincture reduces, you can keep track of the level easier.

4. Add your dilute GD to the upper chamber and reduce it by half. Alcohol boils at a much lower temperature than water and thus will not damage the thc. Depending on your heat source, your solution may bubble a little bit, a rolling boil, or just swirls. What you want at minimum are the swirls. That shows there is action.

5. Finally, this recipe is designed to give you approximately 4 fluid ounces of concentrated Green/Gold Dragon tincture. We used 5oz of alcohol per run instead of 4 because of the small volume. I wanted to make sure the pot had good cover. For larger quantities, that extra bit wouldn’t be necessary. Wouldn’t hurt but would need more reduction. So for the last step, reduce your solution by half, or down to our goal volume, which should be about 4 fl.oz for this size batch, and bottle it. It is now officially ready to sample. As if you haven’t been as it was going along.

And there you have it. I've tried to make the actual steps as simple yet concise as possible. And as stated previously, this recipe is pretty much designed for the novice, the beginner. It does not require a lot of marijuana that could be lost, anything is possible so it could happen. I don't advocate making this or any other cannabis product for the first time with your emergency stash. You don't have to have expensive pot or even buds. I want everyone to be comfortable within themselves with trying this.

Let me know if something is confusing or just plain wrong and I'll get it cleared up. happydance

I ammended the above method to read Decarb at 240 deg F for 40 mins this temp and time has been determined to be optimal for conversion through many lab tests since this was written.

• Like 1