Shoutbox

Resize Shouts Area

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo

killing spider mites in 2012..what's best?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Harvey_M

Harvey_M

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

So, I've been using azamax for a couple years now, but it's just not working anymore. It also killed probably at least 50% of my clones, completely stopped them from rooting. I don't know if my bottle is just getting old, or the mites are mutating, or what, but the azamax is causing a lot of damage now without killing the damn mites, and this is really starting to annoy me.

Hence this thread. Any of you guys know of any really good natural methods that can be used even during flowering? Are there any new products out there that kick ass?

I have read quite a few threads on here about spider mite cures, including the stickied thread in this forum, but I can't help wonder if there's something better I just won't know about until I ask.

I am also very intrigued by akfatman's mention of using nicotine to kill the mites, especially since it can be easily removed from budded plants, and does not remain systemic during the flush.

So yeah, what's better than azamax in 2012..?
9/11 was an inside job.
Rights are only protected by force, so be strong.
End the Fed.

#2 jetski

jetski

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

The problem with poisons is if you don't completely eradicate them they can eventually become immune. I suspect this is your problem

i use Neem oil. It doesn't poison them it suffocates them so they are unlikely to become immune. You put a few drops in some warm water in a spray bottle. Putting some washing up detergent is worth doing as it helps mix it up. Spray the whole plant leaving nothing untouched. this will not kill the eggs so you will need to repeat the process after 3 days

btw Neem oil is non toxic and you don't need gloves or anything, it completely harmless. It smells like peanuts and garlic, not to everyone's taste

#3 Mgee

Mgee

Stoner

• Members
  • 691 posts
  • LocationMichigan, US.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Mighty Wash is where it's at this year dude. The stuff is awesome. It's water on a changed frequency - zaps the little suckers. Does wonders even during flowering and up til day of harvest. The company that makes it, NPK Industries, makes a handful of really nice products. a PM Wash (Powdery Mildew), and their recent products Multiply and Stack - Organic alternatives to Emerald Triangle's Bushmaster and Gravity - without the paclobutrazol.

Check it out. You wont be disappointed.
- When the power of love overcomes the love of power, there will then be peace -

#4 wohlandr

wohlandr

Old hand

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • Location vancouver island

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

for fungus gnats and spider mites i like vapona no pest strips.i only use them during vegging when infested.by the time flowering starts they are removed.it clears up my problems really fast.
wohlandr

#5 Harvey_M

Harvey_M

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I've heard of mighty wash before, but I kind of wrote it off because of what I heard, ionized water, or "frequency water", sounded like some new age bullshit to me, and I keep it real. Hahaha. But I think the reality is they simply don't want to say what that their secret ingredient is, and they let their marketing department come up with some bullshit to throw everyone way off. I have searched a little on it, and most people say that it does work.

The no pest strips, I've heard of that before too, but I don't want to do that at this point due to fear/lack of knowledge. Years ago, when I was a kid, the house me and my family were living in was fumigated, and it caused all kinds of weird health problems with my mom. Like allergies, allergic reactions to other random chemicals, etc. I don't know what's in the pest strips, but a lot of chemicals will fuck you up, permanently, and usually people don't know until it's too late. I don't need random mystery headaches, the shakes, etc, from some chemical I don't even know about. So I'd definitely have to do some more research on anything like those pest strips before considering them at all. Also, my room is sealed (not perfectly 100% obviously, but still) and co2 enriched with a burner, so any chemical in the air is also going to be burned somewhat by the burner, possibly creating more toxic shit. (?) And the fact that the room is sealed is going to make me want to be in there even less with chemicals in there, and I have to be in there to work.

I think I'm going to give the mighty wash a shot, if it doesn't work, it's on to something else..
9/11 was an inside job.
End the Fed.

#6 seabc

seabc

Pot Head

• GlobalModerators
  • 3,068 posts
  • LocationSombrio Beach Vancouver Island Canada

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Peace

I have been using hemp oil and dish soap for few months now. It has been working great for me, even in flowering. I have used it 4 weeks into flowering.

SeaOfGreen
Member of the Organic Mafia. VAN.ISL Division(Hempology 101 Team)

http://www.cbc-canada.ca/
http://www.hempology.ca/

Proud 30 years activist of Vancouver Island BC

#7 Harvey_M

Harvey_M

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hemp oil? You're not talking about something you can smoke, right?
9/11 was an inside job.
End the Fed.

#8 seabc

seabc

Pot Head

• GlobalModerators
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

Peace

Here a video I made for a other thread.

SeaOfGreen

#9 my1952HD

my1952HD

Stoner

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

Hey Harvey,

Looks like I'll be using the AzaMax for a while yet, I stocked up. I'll only use it for spraying now and thanks to you, will keep it out of the nutrients by covering the grow media with a towel. I also do not spray my clones at all until they've been transplanted.

Another tough lesson to learn, but a lesson learned... 52.
Ignorance is bliss, knowledge is awesome.

***Censored***

#10 Harvey_M

Harvey_M

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

I will NEVER use azamax on any plant that I am going to take clones from again, or spray any clones with it either, or have any of it anywhere near the clones. Most of the clones I took died thanks to that shit.

Just spraying the plants with it, then taking clones from them a week later will make them not root. That appears to have enough of a systemic effect to stop them, even without it being in the nutrient solution. At least it did with me.

Uuuugghhhh.

I'd rather have spider mites for part of the cycle than have no clones, because no clones= no crop.

Seabc, that's some interesting stuff about the hemp oil. But how does it rinse off the buds? Since you sure wouldn't want to be trying to smoke oil..
9/11 was an inside job.
End the Fed.

#11 seabc

seabc

Pot Head

• GlobalModerators
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Peace

I have played with many oils, from neem, sesame seed, ect. Those oils I find are a thicker oil, and last longer on the plant. So In flowering, I could all ways could taste it , after harvest. The hemp oil, is a lighter oil. I sprayed it on a 4 week flower. Once the mites were died, a couple days later, I sprayed it again, with just the dish soap, then few days after I spray with luke warm water, then did a cold water spray. Myself and ppl I toked the plant with, after toking it, I told them, what I did, no one noticed. Rest of flowering time , had no mites.

The oils suffocate the mites and seemed to kill off the eggs, so the extra spraying I did, it also got rid of all those died mites. To make for a cleaner bud.

Tx for your interest, SeaOfGreen

#12 jetski

jetski

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

I have never used hemp oil in this way but I will definitely try it in the future. I use help oil when making fishing bait, carp and roach love it. its a lot cheaper than Neem oil and smells and tastes a lot better

i get my hemp oil from my local health food store

#13 Johnny5

Johnny5

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten State

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

I have been using azamax for a while. it works...but I do think they build up a tolerance to it. i now take my cuts that are already transplanted an totally submerse them in a 5 gallon bucket full. I figure this way there are no spots for them to hide.

That being said i am up to try out some new stuff. there is a product out called no more spider mites. cost 250.00 though for a 5 gallon mix so i have been hesitant to try it, but it is 100% organic. so maybe soon here i will cough up the dough. I will let everyone know how it works.
Life...what would it be like without some good ganja...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users