• Photo
      25 Jul
    BongAkaDrew

About to attempt my first 4g run of bho :) wish me luck

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      25 Jul
    the_dank_one

nothing pisses me off more to come by and see all my pics have been removed and the threads look like shit now..pointless

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Photo

TRICHOME COLOR / HARVESTING WHITE WIDOW

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 youradvocate

youradvocate

Stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

I am growing White Widow indoors under HPS. The specimens I have are clones from a previous generation so I am certain of the genetics. When I last harvested these plants I did so when I had almost 100% milky trichomes, and a low percentage amber trichomes. The result was good, but I am looking for better. So this time I want to wait until I have 30-50% amber trichomes over the majority of the plant, in order to produce a more narcotic effect. I am currently at 64 days of flowering (8 weeks 4 days). My questions for the community are as follows:

1) Will the trichomes on EVERY strain progressively change to milky then amber as the plants mature? Or is this a general rule for most strains?

2) Is it possible for a plant to complete its cycle, even completely dying, without the trichomes changing to Amber?

3) The trichomes on my White Widow plants are almost 100% milky, and have a very low percentage of amber trichomes at 64 days. Will my trichomes turn amber still? Or is it possible that my plants are at their optimal harvest window, and the trichomes will not turn amber?

4) Are cannabis plants at their peak resin production when the pistols, or hairs, have completely receded, or disappeared? Or when they have changed to red, and BEFORE they recede into the Ovarian Pods?

5) I want the most narcotic effect I can get from my plants. When should I harvest the White Widow strain? Have you heard of White Widow growing longer than 9 weeks?

Thank you for your time and assistance. I am happy to be a part of the community.

#2 Doobie Brother

Doobie Brother

Ganja God

• Administrators
  • 6,837 posts
  • LocationThe G.W.N.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hello advocate, welcome to CC.

I cannot answer all of your questions, however I am able to comment on number five; for a heavy narcotic buzz, simply let the plants go longer. I have been experimenting with a number of strains at different harvest dates (generally 60,80,100 days) for a similar reason as yours, to increase the conversion of thc to cbd.

My current grow includes WW, which are just starting to flower. I will be harvesting at three different points: when trichs are just starting to cloud up, when 10-20% are amber, plus at or close to day 100.

So you may want to try something similar: I use two plants per strain, chopping from the top - down. If you decide to give it a go, please post the results.

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan

#3 youradvocate

youradvocate

Stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Doobie Brother!
I will keep you posted on my results. If you come to any epiphany's regarding the White Widow strain, please let me know, and if I can ever help you with anything, you need only ask.

#4 Fulvic

Fulvic

Stoner

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationMAINE

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Doobz, THC degrades to cannabinol (CBN) not cannabidol (CBD). CBD is the miracle compound that has activists buzzing. Which (BTW) is almost 1000 times more abundant in a raw or minimally processed product of cannabis (i.e. juice) versus a more extensive form of processing via heat (i.e. edibles).

All trichomes exposed to ultraviolet radiation will turn amber eventually. There are four types of ultraviolet radiation (UV) with wavelengths ranging from 100nm (short wavelength = high frequency = more energy) to 400nm.

VUV 100-200nm only exists within a vacuum
UVC 200-280nm completely filtered out in the atmosphere
UVB 280-315nm 1% of all UV that reaches earth's surface
UVA 315-400nm 99% of all UV that reaches earth's surface

UVB photons increase the phytochemical biosynthesis of cannabinolic acids and alkaloids from lipids/fats and terpene phenols. Terpene phenolic resins drawn from within the plant surface and accumulate to form bulbous, sessile and capitate glandular trichomes. Capitate-stalked glandular trichomes double as optical receptors to maximize UVB absorption and increase resin production.

Hopefully that will answer your questions.

#5 youradvocate

youradvocate

Stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

Fulvic, Thank you my friend. So long story short, wait them out. No matter how long it takes, no matter what the hairs look like, if you want a more narcotic effect (higher levels of CBN and CBD) wait until the specimen has an amber to milky trichome ratio of 50-70% amber, regardless of how long it takes them to get there. They have faired well so far for the extra time, growing a remarkable amount in the last week. Thanks for the help! I will post some pics of the girls ASAP. Thanks again!

#6 Fulvic

Fulvic

Stoner

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationMAINE

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

No matter how long it takes, no matter what the hairs look like, if you want a more narcotic effect (higher levels of CBN and CBD) wait until the specimen has an amber to milky trichome ratio of 50-70% amber, regardless of how long it takes them to get there.

Close, but not exactly. You're right on about the pistils though, they are not a factor when harvesting for psychoactivity.

CBG is the precursor to CBC and CBD. THC is derived from CBC not CBD; THC and CBD are produced independently of each other. As THC degrades it breaks down to CBN. THC side effects are stimulating and cerebral, whereas CBN effects are narcotic. CBD is not psychoactive on its own.

It isn't time so much as it is environmental factors, i.e. oxygen levels and UV radiation. There are risks to waiting indefinitely (bud rot, over-drying etc.), but as long as you're in complete control your buds are just as safe as they would be in a jar.

#7 SSofDark

SSofDark

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

FuLViC- So if someone uses supplemental UVA or UVB lighting in the indoor garden the THC production is increased and/or it will assist in the trics turning amber? Would the additional supplemental lighting speed up the process from lets just say 90 days for 40% amber to 70 days for 40% amber?

#8 nutogrow

nutogrow

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,658 posts
  • LocationOZ

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

I have a UVB black light in my room to help increase trich production. See signature below to verify my scientific knowledge.

I don't know shit from shinola. But never seen shinola.

#9 Fulvic

Fulvic

Stoner

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationMAINE

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

FuLViC- So if someone uses supplemental UVA or UVB lighting in the indoor garden the THC production is increased and/or it will assist in the trics turning amber? Would the additional supplemental lighting speed up the process from lets just say 90 days for 40% amber to 70 days for 40% amber?

Yes, a sufficient supplement of ultraviolet radiation will increase the rate of oxidation in trichomes, and at the correct wavelengths (UVB only) it will also increase resin production. To address your second question: at the right intensity pure UV radiation would easily speed up the process by 20 days. Having said that, facilitating phytochemical reactions is a delicate process and should be treated as such.

"Everything in moderation."

To avoid overexposure UV must be gradually introduced. I start by scheduling 30 minute exposures at 5 hours and 45 minutes into a 12 hour photoperiod, then add an extra 30 minutes every other day until a solid 4 hour exposure is reached - totaling 1/3 of each 12 hour photoperiod. At this rate it takes two weeks to fully introduce UVB. I typically start supplementing three weeks before harvest.

If you really want to start supplementing with UVB, I suggest looking into narrow band medical UVB fluorescent lamps. They are the only TRUE UVB lamps out there. Right now I have two SolRx 100 series I mounted to articulated arms for spot targeting. I've tried reptile and reef lighting but nothing has come close to phototherapy lamps.

#10 nutogrow

nutogrow

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,658 posts
  • LocationOZ

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Can't do all of that in my room. Continuously choppin' and introducing new ones into flower Besides there is enough to keep track of down there. I just have a UVB black light 2 bulbs 4ft. come on and go off when the lights do. I am very certain I'm getting better trich production. Was thinkin of adding another one.

I don't know shit from shinola. But never seen shinola.

#11 Doobie Brother

Doobie Brother

Ganja God

• Administrators
  • 6,837 posts
  • LocationThe G.W.N.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

Id imagine the medical grade UVB's are expensive as heck. Fulvic, do you think it is worth the extra cost of introducing high quality UVB light to your grow ?

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast” – Ronald Reagan

#12 Sticky_Icky

Sticky_Icky

Old hand

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Don't the "reptile" lamps supply UVB and UVA in dangerous levels? Seems pretty pure.

#13 halphdunn

halphdunn

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • LocationMASADA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

I've been chasing this amber trichome "myth" for six years.I just added 2 shop lights with 2 black bulbs each to the flower room,after reading this thread.
Thanks,if I have any success I'll let you know.

Lite'em if you got'em,if you don't grow some.

#14 Sir.Ganga

Sir.Ganga

GOOYGURU

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

I am growing White Widow indoors under HPS. The specimens I have are clones from a previous generation so I am certain of the genetics. When I last harvested these plants I did so when I had almost 100% milky trichomes, and a low percentage amber trichomes. The result was good, but I am looking for better. So this time I want to wait until I have 30-50% amber trichomes over the majority of the plant, in order to produce a more narcotic effect. I am currently at 64 days of flowering (8 weeks 4 days). My questions for the community are as follows:

1) Will the trichomes on EVERY strain progressively change to milky then amber as the plants mature? Or is this a general rule for most strains?

2) Is it possible for a plant to complete its cycle, even completely dying, without the trichomes changing to Amber?

3) The trichomes on my White Widow plants are almost 100% milky, and have a very low percentage of amber trichomes at 64 days. Will my trichomes turn amber still? Or is it possible that my plants are at their optimal harvest window, and the trichomes will not turn amber?

4) Are cannabis plants at their peak resin production when the pistols, or hairs, have completely receded, or disappeared? Or when they have changed to red, and BEFORE they recede into the Ovarian Pods?

5) I want the most narcotic effect I can get from my plants. When should I harvest the White Widow strain? Have you heard of White Widow growing longer than 9 weeks?

Thank you for your time and assistance. I am happy to be a part of the community.

Hety welcome to CC. I gever my best shot:

#1 Yes, all strains will change color at different rates. Some strains will start to dry up or go moldy before the change occurs. Sativa strains can take upwards of 15 weeks in some cases.

#2 Yes, if enviormental factors are right, or not right for that matter, a plant can go to her grave not even showing cloudy trichs. A lot of finishing is technique.

#3 WW is a 9 weeker, my last attempt I held on foe 12 weeks before I decided I would not push it any farther(was having humidity issues) and all cloud no amber to speak of.

#4 Personally I think if the pistils are starting to receed then you missed peak production, That doesn't mean she is ripe. Once you see pistils receeding the plant has begun its final stage of life. You might see an increase of trichs at this point due to the fact that she is now doing whatever she can to propagate and she know their not much time left.

#5 The WW I grew was from greenhouse seeds and I found that that 10 week timeline was giving me some 25-40% amber. I run perpetual and needed the space, it was quite couch lock.

Read FulVic info its all bang on. One thing though I do believe that if you want to use black lights you will need prolly 20 4ft. bulbs in a closet grow to actually see what everyone is talking about. 400 watts of additional UV did squatt for me and I gave her a good 6-8 month trial. Different types of uv lighting may give you better results though.

If you start flushing with ice cold water, ph balanced of course, you will see that your WW will start to go amber. The last WW I grew for 8 1/2 weeks they were pretty much all cloudy after 2 flushing with ice water my count shot up to about 30% amber.

Good Luck

IMO

Vaper

#15 Doobie Brother

Doobie Brother

Ganja God

• Administrators
  • 6,837 posts
  • LocationThe G.W.N.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

Doobz, THC degrades to cannabinol (CBN) not cannabidol (CBD). CBD is the miracle compound that has activists buzzing.

Thanks for this FulVic, I've been going down this road for some time now, thinking that CBD is a byproduct of THC degradation. Probably read that somewhere....at least that is my story, and I'm sticking with it. Just goes to show you can't do too much reading!

#16 Fulvic

Fulvic

Stoner

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationMAINE

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

The majority of the energy consumed in a common UVB reptile lamp produces visible light and heat. At the recommended distances the Repti Glo 10.0 (for example) radiates UVB at around 14 µW/cm². In the Himalayas it is not uncommon for UVB intensities to exceed 1000 µW/cm² during summer months. I still have D3+ Reptile T5 lamps from Arcadia I was using with my T5 fixture, but getting them close enough was annoying and started to create some heat issues. Moving the light source only 6 inches away dropped UVB radiation by 50%.

IME reptile lamps are okay for ripening trichomes, but aren't very effective when it comes to increasing resin production.

Within 1' of the light source my Philips PL-S9W 01/2p's radiate UVB at over 500 µW/cm² and well over 1000 µW/cm² at recommended treatment distances; in my case gradual exposure is necessary. Philips UVB lamps aren't that expensive, but it's the fixture/psu that can be pricey. Having said that: a nice handheld unit goes a long way. The ability to mount and fully articulate my 100 series has enabled me to target just about any spot on my plants with ease and efficiency.

Like I said, I've tried many different methods and nothing has come anywhere close to medical grade narrowband UVB phototherapy lamps.

#17 halphdunn

halphdunn

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • LocationMASADA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

FuLVIC
Are you talking about a 6"X8"? unit that comes in a plastic case with equipment to operate it? Was it $43?

#18 Fulvic

Fulvic

Stoner

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationMAINE

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

My unit is 7" x 3.5". I bought my first 100 series (wand and supply cable only) through SolArc's used equipment & special offers page, plus two new bulbs for $250. Buying a power supply separately saved me a nice chunk of change and has enabled me to run a second unit off of the same ballast.

#19 halphdunn

halphdunn

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • LocationMASADA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

I'm surprised with all the lighting available for growing that this hasn't been addressed.