• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ashley

ashley

Stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

I'm writing a paper for college class and have some generic questions. I smoke but have no prescriptions and was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer questions. My biggest questions is what does marijuana do for you that other medications do not? I appreciate any response.

thanks a lot

#2 PharOG

PharOG

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Well, I can give you a list of things that you do not get from marijuana that you do get from other medications.

1) Addiction; It is unlikely to gain an dependent addiction to marijuana, where other medications are high association with dependency.

2) Negative Side Effects; Marijuana has no real proven negative side effects other than the "high" feeling, all other aspects are purely medicinal, from Hunger Inducing, to Inflammation Reduction, where other medications have extensive list's of negative side effects including death.

3) Quality of life; Marijuana allows a person to continue functioning in today's fast paced world, allowing them to continue to participate in activities that increase their quality of life, many other medications have side effects that make people feel ill, lack of apatite which results in a lack of expendable energy, and the list goes on.

These are 3 aspects of marijuana that makes it that it should in my opinion, be the first medication used when treating a patient of any ailment. Cannabis research has been discovering very interesting things over the last while, such as the fact that we naturally produce a Cannabinoid called anandamide. This same cannabinoid is found in chocolate. Research as to what roles this, and other endocannabinoids that are naturally found in our own bodies play in our chemical makeup.

Come to the Dark Side we have cookies
The problem with Sound Advice it's usually 99% Sound 1% Advice

#3 Guest_merle57_*

Guest_merle57_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

1) Addiction; It is unlikely to gain an dependent addiction to marijuana, where other medications are high association with dependency.

#4 Buddha

Buddha

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationIf "Harper" has his way...JAIL

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

Private Message "Alison Myrden" she will have all the info you will need for your paper.

http://forums.cannab...rofile&User=126

Peace...Buddha

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"-Albert Einstein

#5 Spuzzum

Spuzzum

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLotusland

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

I use for muscle, joint, and disk pain, as well as migraines. They'd have me on codeine otherwise for the muscle relaxant. But it also makes me itchy, as well as a sense of creepy crawlies in my muscles as the relaxant sets in. Not to mention it also makes you constipated. Codeine is also addictive "to me", after a week or 2. There's also been "some" deaths directly associated with codeine.

Marijuana on the other hand.. if used in cannacaps, cookies, or other edibles.. is a perfect muscle relaxant. Smoking high CBD cannabis is also a good muscle relaxant, as well as a good sleep agent, and helps with migraines. And there's no creepy crawlies when the relaxant sets in. And instead of constipating you like codeine.. it actually relaxes your bowels.. makes you a lot more regular. And that's just from smoking.. cannacaps do the same. Although people state marijuana is "not" physically addictive.. it is if used daily, for an extended period of time. The difference though, is that it's easier to kick than codeine. In fact.. you'd be over it in less than a few days, and it's nowhere near as intense as a cigarette withdrawal. It starts out physical addiction, but changes to mental addiction fairly quickly.. you "want" it, not that you "need" it. And in the 10,000 years or so that we've been using cannabis.. there has never been a single death directly attributed to cannabis. Harvard Medical School.

12:40 mark, but watch the whole movie.

That last line is the most important to me.. "no deaths" directly associated to cannabis. Look at how many pharmaceuticals get pulled every year, that was previously deemed "safe", but years later was determined to be deadly, or the source of serious medical problems that the patient never had before starting using the medicine in the first place. Shit, just look at all the friggin' warnings in the "fine print" of medicine commercials these days.. why the hell would anybody want to take that? You need pills to make you feel better from all the pills you're already taking. laugh

Cannabis use also promotes new growth of brain cells.

Naw.. I'd rather use something natural, that I can't die off of, and doesn't destroy the rest of my body. Using opiates like codeine for the rest of my life, really isn't appealing to me.

#6 Tuvok

Tuvok

Stranger

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

You talk about The DarkSide and Cookies. You by chance Ride?? I have been on the DarkSide for 4 years now. smile

I agree with what you said as well!

Sorry Dad Don't Share his Stash

#7 PharOG

PharOG

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

You talk about The DarkSide and Cookies. You by chance Ride?? I have been on the DarkSide for 4 years now. smile

I agree with what you said as well!

Naw, it's just a play on starwars lol I wouldn't be able to ride without modification to the bike anyway.

#8 WeedWitch420.1

WeedWitch420.1

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,861 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

Oh no you didn't just mention StarWars to a Trekkie (trekER?) did you??? laugh

-*witchy*

#9 smokum

smokum

Old hand

• Members
  • 977 posts
  • LocationCannaDuh

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

^Even geeks use the power of cannabis^ cheeky

SOME people just need a sympathetic pat.......

ON THE HEAD...

WITH A HAMMER !!!

#10 PharOG

PharOG

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Oh no you didn't just mention StarWars to a Trekkie (trekER?) did you??? laugh

lol, the funny thing is, I don't even like Star Wars, IMO just too far fetched, Star Trek on the other hand, is much more realistic, and I enjoy it more. However, the saying, coupled with "We have cookies" just tickles my fancy lol

#11 MedsNotDrugs

MedsNotDrugs

Stranger

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

Is the question personal? That's actually hard to answer because we have different responses to various medications. In fact, that is probably the reason why some people advocate the legalization of cannabis - because it is a good alternative compared to other available meds (at least for them).

You probably should look into the other aspects of cannabis - not just the medical benefits because there will always be other medicines with the same function.

#12 topcat1666

topcat1666

Ganja God

• Members
  • 10,618 posts
  • Location la la land

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

If I don't use weed for my pain I have to use herion based pain killers. Now if some kids [grand kids or friends] get the idea to steal meds and get high I would much rather they steal a non-letheal non-addictived thing. Yes I know raise them so you don't have to worry but if you think teenagers won't try things you're only fooling yourself.

#13 Spuzzum

Spuzzum

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLotusland

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

Even if kids weren't in the equation.. I still wouldn't want opiates for the rest of my life. Never mind the addictiveness, but what's it's actually doing to your organs?

Quote:
"Other medical complications, such as heart and valve infections and liver problems, can develop over time because long-term use of opiates will weaken the immune system in the body. Opiates can cause respiratory depression and increase the risks of getting pulmonary and respiratory problems such as pneumonia and bronchitis."

http://www.livestron...cts-opiate-use/

I'd take a cannacap over a Tylenol 3 any day.