Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      09 Nov
    Dove

Dessert then Dinner. Nothing wrong with that.

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      07 Nov
    captainjoint

Captain Joint's answer letter to the FBI-Sgt Scott E. Haley

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      05 Nov
    SeaWeed

Three new legalized states and one legalized district! WTG USA.

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      03 Nov
    adrok

Something special about smoking your own freshly cured buds.. The experience is far more satisfying..

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

How to prepare a mono tub for P. Cubensis

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_UnnamedGrower_*

Guest_UnnamedGrower_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

*******Note you must know how to prepare grain as spawn before you can do this*********

If you would like to know how let me know and I can write that out too.

Items needed:
5-10 liter spawn jars of cubensis spawn. 3-6 actual liters of spawn if your using bags.
Mushies dont need alot of light and the best light for shrooms is a 6500k light above and off to the side of your tub

50-75 liter rubbermaid tote. Clear is best but you can cut the top out and tape saran wrap to allow light. Polyfill AKA pillow stuffing
Tape
Thrash bag
A way to cut out 5 cm holes on your new monotub. Tomato paste can heated on the stove. Knife and a way to get it hot to cut. Or a hole cut out drill.

650g of dry coir. Note alot of coir bought at hydro stores have been infected with trich which is absolutely no good. You need to get coir without trich in it
2 Liters of vermiculite
20 liter bucket
1/2 cup of gypsum. You can obtain gypsum by taking a piece of drywall and beating it with a hammer and removing the paper. Just make sure the drywall doesnt have green tape on it cause that means anti fungal. No good for shrooms.

Prepare the tubs.
You need to cut 6 5 cm hole in your monotub. The placement of your holes depend on your sub depth.
2 5 cm holes on the long sides of the tub about 2-3 cm above the top of your substrate depth
1 5 cm hole on each end about 5 cm from the top of the tub.
We are going to use a 9-10 cm sub depth so the center of your 5 cm hole's on the sides is going to be about 12-13 cm from the bottom of the tub. These holes allow CO2 to exit the tub.
You want the top of your holes about 2-5 cm from the top of the tub. This is for the 1 hole on each end of your tub. This hole is to allow Fresh Air Exchange to enter your mono and push the CO2 laden air at the bottom of your tub out.
Take the new thrash bag and open it up in your tub to create a liner for it. Taping the bag about 12 cm up the side of the tub.
Your monotub is complete and should look something like this.

Your monotub is complete.

How to prepare your substrate.
Put 4 liters of water on the stove to boil.
break up your dry coir(650g) into smaller pieces
place coir and 2 liters of verm and 1/2 cup of gypsum into the bucket(the gypsum is completely optional)
Pour 4 liters of boiling water into the bucket and give it a good stir. Cover with a lid or something and let sit for 45 minutes to an hour. Stir the mixture up and let sit 4-6 hours until cool.

The more spawn the faster your tub will colonize. I like to use 7 liter jars of spawn or 4.5 liters of actual spawn. You could use 15-30 cakes as your spawn if you wanted to. Take the cakes and put them into brand new big freezer bags and break them apart.

Tape up all the holes you cut with packing tape. Take your cooled coir/verm mixture and dump it into the tub. Leave aside about 4 cups and dump all the rest into your tub. You will use the 4 cups to cover your spawn/sub mix so that you cover any exposed grains/spawn.
Mix your spawn in and with clean hands or gloves mix up the spawn and substrate. Take the remaining coir/verm mix and cover up all exposed spawn. Exposed spawn leads to trich.

Leave your mono at room temp receiving ambient light. In several days you should start to see mycellium pop thru the surface. In about 10-14 days depending on the amount of spawn you used you will see the mono fully colonized. Once your tub is fully colonized you want to let it consolidate for 5 days or until you see pins whichever comes first.

Take the tape off the holes and place in polyfill into your tub. This is where "dialing" in your tub comes into play. What you want is to be able to spray the whole mono tub until it is quite glistening with water but no pooling is occurring and within 12-16 hours the sub is dry again. This is a properly dialed in tub. To acceive this you have to either put more polyfill in the holes or remove poly until you have got your tub "dialed" in. You want to have your fan in the room but not pointed at your tub.

Within 3-7 days you should see pins. With a 55 liter mono I get 7-9 oz dry first flush and 3-6 second then toss them cause space is at a premium and 3rd and 4rth flushes are usually really lame. I usually get wall to wall pinset first flush and much bigger shrooms second.

Fanning and misting is beneficial to tubs but not necessary with a properly dialed in tub.

From day of inoculation to .75 lb crop 7 weeks

#2 TheGodOfGaja

TheGodOfGaja

Stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

Nice job. Is it just me, or are those caps really a light cream color? What strain is that?

#3 Guest_UnnamedGrower_*

Guest_UnnamedGrower_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

Yea those caps are white. Its a leucistic cube. White with purple spores. Its called albino a+

#4 p_light420

p_light420

Super Stoner

• Members
  • 4,318 posts
  • Location5280

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

This is a great tek, thanks for the run down. The brf/verm cakes are good to learn on, but this is really where it's at. I just have a couple simple questions.

1. Where is a good place to look for clean coir?

and

2. Isn't the boiling water supposed to sterilize the substrate? If so, why would the trich in the hydro store coir matter?

and

3. If sterilization is the issue with the coir, why not run it through the pressure cooker in quart jars for an hour instead of using the boiling water dump?

Sure the boiling water dump is faster, but I don't mind spending extra time to avoid contamination.

Thanks again!

Overgrow the Cartels!

#5 Guest_UnnamedGrower_*

Guest_UnnamedGrower_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

1. If your canadian Ive had success with a brand called beats peat. Its available at rona or home depot I believe. If your american petsmart has a product called bed a beast which is a brick of coir and exactly 650g.

2. No this is a pasteurization. The water equals out to pastuerization temps when added to the coir/verm. Trich survives pasuerization .

3. For mushroom growing pastuerization of your sub is much better than sterilization. So the pressure cooker route isnt as good as this bucket pastuerization

#6 Johnny5

Johnny5

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten State

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

Nice thread.

I am doing wbs at the moment. just setup 9 jars, been on heating pad for 5 days now.

? for you. you ever go WBS? what do you think is the best way to spawn?
I am going to be using verm/coir as my bulk.

Life...what would it be like without some good ganja...

#7 Guest_UnnamedGrower_*

Guest_UnnamedGrower_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

Incubation of jars is an outdated method. Its better to have your jars at room temp 78F

I use WBS all the time.

The best way to spawn is in a small space sprayed with lysol/bleach spray. Have your jars already broken up. A tire works great to hit your jars upon to break up the spawn. Have your sub already in the tub and open it up and pour your spawn in and mix as quickly as possible. You are trying not to let airborne spores fall into your sub. Then cover with your coir/verm and cover it up. I like to wrap the tub in saran wrap while colonizing.

#8 Johnny5

Johnny5

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

What do you mean as in a small space sprayed with lyso/bleach?

No my jars got killed! they got to hot I think...damn heating mat.
Oh well I will give them longer, but getting ready to start over..

What are your thoughts?

Got a lot of WBS left to use...

#9 Guest_UnnamedGrower_*

Guest_UnnamedGrower_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:51 AM

First off you should spawn mono's in a small space like a bathroom or closet sprayed with lysol or 1:10 Bleach:water. Incubation of cubes is very outdated and leads to more contams than anything. Your jars should be left at room temp for the whole time that the jars are colonizing.

#10 Johnny5

Johnny5

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

Cool.
Well I guess I didn't kill all the jars!
Looks like 2 are getting all nice an white.

I have a perfect spot now that i think of it.
So you spawn right in a tub, no jar?

#11 Guest_UnnamedGrower_*

Guest_UnnamedGrower_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

I would suggest taking those 2 jars and increasing your spawn via Grain 2 Grain 2 jars isnt enough to be spawning a mono. The bare minimum I would use is 5 quarts.

Yes you spawn into a mono not a jar.

#12 Johnny5

Johnny5

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

Sweet. Thanks.

I will try it out.
I will let you know how it goes.
btw the are B+

Next are some golden teachers. Any input on spores...like what ones you like to run/and why.

#13 Guest_UnnamedGrower_*

Guest_UnnamedGrower_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

Fucking B+. B+ is the only "strain"(I use the word strain losely) that ill never grow again. My first bulk grow was B+ and I ended up with 1.5 lbs of bunk shrooms. B+ have a tendency to put out a shit flush here and there of impotent shrooms. I have seen it happen to several people. I thought it was just me at first, but I found out it happens more than is lead on. The only real difference in shroom "strains" is the buzz really some are more visual than others. Some give more of a body buzz. I grow shrooms according to what orders I have coming up for spores. One company will tell me they want such and such prints. Ill grow those out and provide prints for the strain they are looking for. So I end up growing alot of GT, burma, cambodia, BHT, equador. These are some of the more popular strains. It seems alot of companies trust my printing skills and give me there bigger sellers to provide prints for

#14 Johnny5

Johnny5

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Ah.. yeah the reason I got B+ was just cause it was commonly grown.
besides the golden teachers I also have the cambodians, and orrisa(i think that is how you spell it) I will get you some pics here pretty soon of what i have going.

As far as spawning in the mono goes do I still put the wbs in the pressure cooker(in Jars) then dump into the mono? And how do I inoculate the wbs once in the mono? besides a grain to grain.

Sorry for all the dumb questions...

#15 Guest_UnnamedGrower_*

Guest_UnnamedGrower_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Spawn = Spawn is some sort of grain. Common type's of grain used as spawn are - Wild Bird Seed(WBS), Rye(Berries or kernels named different things)Millo, Millet and Wheat kernels(These are common in WBS) Popcorn. I have seen people use lots of different types of grain. I personally have used some funky choices as well but would not suggest it. As long as you get your moisture right you can use all sorts of different stuff.
Spawn is what is going to go into your jars pc'd and innoculated with a spore syringe.
Spawn needs to be steriliezed for use.

Substrate = Substrate is a nutritious source of food for mycellium. Common substrate choices are Coir, Straw, Manure(Horse is best cow or any strictly vegetarian grain animal will work) Any combination of these with the addition of verm makes a great substrate. The addition of gypsum(calcium carbonate) is a great benefit to a substrate.
Your spawn in going to be mixed or layered with your substrate and let colonize. Once your substrate is fully colonized and consolidated you are going to introduce to Fresh Air Exchange(FAE) and this is when you will start to see some fruits.
Substrates need to be pasteurized between 140-160F for 1.5 hours

You are talking a strain called Orissa India

#16 Johnny5

Johnny5

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

Cool yeah. Had the basic knowledge on what all the terms meant, just not on how you inoculate not using jars...like you said spawn in mono. But will do grain to grain this round.

An yes Orissa India...have any experience with them?

#17 Guest_UnnamedGrower_*

Guest_UnnamedGrower_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Ive grown them out. I have grown out many many different strains. They all pretty much grow the same for me. There are a few strains that grow different but not that much difference. The thing with cubes is every strain has a different buzz. More visual or body based usually. I dont eat cubes so I cant tell you which one I like better. Thats something like weed your going to have to find what you like.

#18 Johnny5

Johnny5

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

Yeah i know what you mean.I have eatten a lot over the years, and like you said some are more body while others are more visual.

What are the ones in your sig?

#19 Guest_UnnamedGrower_*

Guest_UnnamedGrower_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

the albino a+ left mono were more body the bpk right were more visual

#20 lukemode

lukemode

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:41 AM

Hey man keep posting the mushroom grow techniques. Very informative.