Organic Gardener

Name your tea

Just wondering for the peeps that brew their own teas, what do ya put in yours.

I've been using:

Age Old Organics, solid grow or bloom

Bat Guano 10-3-1 (5% of the nitrogen is water soluble)

Molasses

and right before i water with it i add some myco madness.

after it's all brewed i use the solids and put it in with my plants.

so what does everyone else use?

I have to KISS. I make:

guano tea

alfalfa tea

compost tea

all fermented, none aerated.

Separately from those I feed seaweed extract weekly and molasses monthly.

worm droppings I use in the soil, teas are chicken shit and bat guano which I also use as a pre-treatment, I add only water during the grow, nothing else.

I would like a good tea recipe? not using a tea curently just cns17 and mollases. What kind of tea can i add or use to supplement this?

Ok here is my input to this tea thread, Call it the wizzsrd's tea... hehehe

I have a 33 gallon plastic olive barrell, I took an old pillow case and poked a bunch o holes in it.. used the top and screwed the rim onto the top to hold the pillow case open..

Fill barrell with water and let sit for at least 24 hours before adding any ingredients. (I'm on city water and they use chlorine)

In the pillow case I put:

1 small shovel of dirt from my compost pile, (lots of worms and bugs in the dirt)

8 cups worm castings

4 cups bat guano (in veg use the N guano, in flower use P guano)

1/2 of a quart bottle of earth juice (grow during veg, bloom for flower)

1 gal moleasses

any over ripe fruit, bananna peals, unused vegie/fruit parts ( like cucumber skins, mellon rinds, etc.) if it can go into a compost pile it can go into your tea.

I have an air compressor and oxygen tubing that I airate the tea with a couple times a day and just before feeding. Run the compressor up to 90 lbs and it will bubble for about 45 minutes.

I usually take out the tea 5 gals at a time and add water to refill. Adding moleasses weekly. Monthly I empty the barrell and pillow case and start fresh.

I like the idea of using over ripe fruit. Your tea sounds really good GW i might try adding in some fruit to mine sometime. what do you think about maybe mashing or even just cutting an apple and sticking it in there? I don't brew mine as long as you usually just over night sometimes i let it go for a longer time up to 4-5 days.

OrganicSnow, any fruit or veggies can be used, they will increase your K, I had a bunch of grapes that had some issues, they went into the tea...

Dankenstein, I use 8 cups of castings for 33 gals of water.. but I know others that use 8 cups for 5 gallons of water and then dilute what they use from the 5 gal container. 2-3 cups per 10 gallons should be a good place to start.

hope it helps..

In 5 gals of rainwater I bubble

1 cup of worm castings

for an hour with a fish pump, then add

1 Tbsp molasses

to feed the micro-beasties. They need that O2!

Let the whole thing go for 12-24 hrs to feed the good, aerobic bacteria.

I add 1/4 c of norwegian sea kelp and some fungal supplements as it is about to finish.

The sea kelp helps level out the low pH of the rainwater (around here...in Kazakhstan).

In my readings, aeration is really key to good compost teas. The micro-herd reproduce best when they are able to ferment aerobically. You're really trying to boost their numbers as they are the helpful little dudes who make lots of nutrients available and break down all the stuff in your tea.

I would use an aquarium bubbler, short length of hose and an aerating stone. Add molasses when you start the tea and again after a couple days to rouse the herd again. The longer it steeps, the more the nutrients will be extracted. I would do 3 days+

Pardon a question from the naive gallery - what makes a tea superior to other forms of ferts ?

If you're brewing a compost tea, you're actually growing a culture of mycelium and beneficial bacteria, you aren't making food for them in the soil, you're growing them.

The molasses and fertilizer blends aren't actually teas, unless you made an aerated compost tea, they are simply nutrient and carbohydrate solutions.

Molasses is not even necessary for an aerated compost tea made from worm castings, unless you brew it for over 48 hours, otherwise they'll overgrow their oxygen supply if you feed them too much and asphyxiate themselves and the tea.

people DON'T realize that there is a 50/50 ratio of aerobic and anaerobic at ALl times....its just goes either way depending on conditions..