Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      23 Dec
    Dove

Pissed at the amount of ignorant anti-cannabis comments and lack of pro-cannabis comments here: http://www.straight.com/confessions/1412/420-unfriendly

Show comments (7)
  • Photo
      21 Dec
    SeaWeed

Happy Solstice! May you be well fed, warm, and well loved.

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      30 Nov
    HPSDREAMER

legal...now everyone and everything smells like pot. Is it worth it.

Show comments (13)
View All Updates

Photo

How long should I wait to flower under cfl's?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 EasternChez

EasternChez

Journeyman

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMaritimes

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

Subject asks it all, my plants have about 3 nodes with the 4th set up and coming, this is going on 2-3 weeks after germination. I'm not looking for a huge yield, just enough for my medical needs, so I need about 3-4 ounces of dried bud every 2 months.

I'm using 1 main 42 watt cfl and 5 15 watt cfl's surrounding the 42 watt. I'm planning on replacing the 15 watt cfl's with 42 watt once I get my paycheque. I'm only growing about 5 plants cause I figured I wouldn't need any more than that. Anybody have any advice?
thanks

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.

#2 puffinmeown

puffinmeown

Old hand

• Members
  • 810 posts
  • LocationBroomfield CO

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

not much longer. maybe another couple of weeks more. Look for the pre-flowers. They will determine the maturity of the plant. When it comes to yield, a good grower can average .5 grams per watt so with a 100 wts of light dont expect more than 50 grams. Probably a little less is more realistic with cfl's The best way you can increase your yield to what you desire. Is to get a larger wattage lighting set-up. A 600 watt HPS light can grow 5-6 plants nicely and you can yield 300 grams.

Grow marijuana, Sell It, Buy Gold!

#3 fazes

fazes

Stranger

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

You can replace all those CFL's with a 600hps like mentioned above for a much nicer yield. As for veg time, how much room do you have? Most clones usually around 4 weeks, if you are growing from seeds I'd go 5-6 or until you have a nice node distribution.

#4 EasternChez

EasternChez

Journeyman

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMaritimes

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I didn't figure that cfl's would give me very much weed but I figured I'd give it a shot since it's cheap and I'm low on cash. As for the 600 watt hps, how much would that cost on my electrical bill, leaving it running for a 24/7 veg cycle? Also I was reading through the forums and came across some articles about having an 18/6 veg cycle so that the plant can use the sugars it has stored, any suggestions? What kind of cooling system should I use with the hps? I think I'll pass on the carbon filter until my plants really start to flower.

I'm growing in a 3'x5' closet with a good 7' of head space. As for the growing medium, I'm using an 8 cu. ft. container for all 5 plants. It's a bit of a squeeze but they are spaced out evenly and I'm not looking for monster plants just short and bushy.

#5 Rastaman

Rastaman

Old hand

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • LocationBlazing the fire from Israel

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:34 AM

For veg the cfl's will do, you can go 18/6 for veg cycle and most do, but the plant doesn't actually need the dark to create the sugars, it's just a light-independent process.

I'm not expert but I think a 600w hps might be a little overkill for that space, you'll probably need a cooltube for it and proper venting, I think if its a small personal operation that need to supply 3-4 ounces of dried bud every 2 months then even a 250w or 400w hps will do.

Better if you divide the closet in two, a veg and flowering chamber and use a scrog or some other training to keep the height of plant low in the flowering cab, as for soil much better to go with independent pots, use good organic soil&nutes, Biobizz is a very good organic company.

#6 jawohio

jawohio

Old hand

• Members
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ohio United States

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:07 AM

60 watts per square foot is the ideal amount of wattage for a room - given adeqaute airflow and humidity control. The 600 watt will heat the space up quite a bit - however, airflow will solve this issue. The light will lead you towards your goal of 3-4 ounces of dried herb every two months. A benchmark is 1 gram per watt of light; however, I feel this is wet weight....hope this helps..Peace and Pot

I do not grow marijuana

"the led master of disaster"

Organic Mafia

#7 puffinmeown

puffinmeown

Old hand

• Members
  • 810 posts
  • LocationBroomfield CO

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:36 AM

lol...wet weight...never weighed my harvest wet...hmmm...to each his own.

Grow marijuana, Sell It, Buy Gold!

#8 HeweHaarlemmer

HeweHaarlemmer

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

WHAT SPECTRUM IS THE CFL LIGHT? I USE 2*65watt Low spectrum cfl and 3*25watt High spectrum 6500k daylight cfl here:

http://forums.cannab...mp;#Post1623045

here is information of PAR LIGHTING :
http://www.enviro-gr...o.uk/stuff1.asp

#9 EasternChez

EasternChez

Journeyman

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMaritimes

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

The spectrum is the 2700 K. I noticed a salt build up in the soil, thought it was a phosphorus def. I transplanted them into new soil, and gave each plant its own pot, and started using fresh spring water. They started looking better today, so I think I'm going to stick with this setup for now until I can get my hands on a new light. I've been looking for lights in my area and came across a few options, I was wondering if they'd be an alright option.

http://halifax.kijij...QAdIdZ181994449

http://halifax.kijij...QAdIdZ183170228

http://halifax.kijij...QAdIdZ184742837

#10 HeweHaarlemmer

HeweHaarlemmer

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

I think most people will suggest you buy a hps highpressuresodium 400watt+ light. I found one on ebay, but I don't know if that is the best deal. The plant needs the right kind of light. Your current 2700k cfl light will work.

I will be interested to see how your plant does because as you can see mine are using both spectrum. CFL sounds good for Veg. I have seen good results for Flowering, I think I was searching google "CFL utopia haze grow" or "CFL g13 haze grow".

I AM NEW TO THIS