Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      14 Aug
    Organic Gardener

Well Marc is back home, good stuff. Glad I'm not paying to keep someone in jail that shouldn't be there.

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Photo

How long should I wait to flower under cfl's?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 EasternChez

EasternChez

Journeyman

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMaritimes

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

Subject asks it all, my plants have about 3 nodes with the 4th set up and coming, this is going on 2-3 weeks after germination. I'm not looking for a huge yield, just enough for my medical needs, so I need about 3-4 ounces of dried bud every 2 months.

I'm using 1 main 42 watt cfl and 5 15 watt cfl's surrounding the 42 watt. I'm planning on replacing the 15 watt cfl's with 42 watt once I get my paycheque. I'm only growing about 5 plants cause I figured I wouldn't need any more than that. Anybody have any advice?
thanks

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.

#2 puffinmeown

puffinmeown

Old hand

• Members
  • 810 posts
  • LocationBroomfield CO

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

not much longer. maybe another couple of weeks more. Look for the pre-flowers. They will determine the maturity of the plant. When it comes to yield, a good grower can average .5 grams per watt so with a 100 wts of light dont expect more than 50 grams. Probably a little less is more realistic with cfl's The best way you can increase your yield to what you desire. Is to get a larger wattage lighting set-up. A 600 watt HPS light can grow 5-6 plants nicely and you can yield 300 grams.

Grow marijuana, Sell It, Buy Gold!

#3 fazes

fazes

Stranger

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

You can replace all those CFL's with a 600hps like mentioned above for a much nicer yield. As for veg time, how much room do you have? Most clones usually around 4 weeks, if you are growing from seeds I'd go 5-6 or until you have a nice node distribution.

#4 EasternChez

EasternChez

Journeyman

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMaritimes

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I didn't figure that cfl's would give me very much weed but I figured I'd give it a shot since it's cheap and I'm low on cash. As for the 600 watt hps, how much would that cost on my electrical bill, leaving it running for a 24/7 veg cycle? Also I was reading through the forums and came across some articles about having an 18/6 veg cycle so that the plant can use the sugars it has stored, any suggestions? What kind of cooling system should I use with the hps? I think I'll pass on the carbon filter until my plants really start to flower.

I'm growing in a 3'x5' closet with a good 7' of head space. As for the growing medium, I'm using an 8 cu. ft. container for all 5 plants. It's a bit of a squeeze but they are spaced out evenly and I'm not looking for monster plants just short and bushy.

#5 Rastaman

Rastaman

Old hand

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • LocationBlazing the fire from Israel

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:34 AM

For veg the cfl's will do, you can go 18/6 for veg cycle and most do, but the plant doesn't actually need the dark to create the sugars, it's just a light-independent process.

I'm not expert but I think a 600w hps might be a little overkill for that space, you'll probably need a cooltube for it and proper venting, I think if its a small personal operation that need to supply 3-4 ounces of dried bud every 2 months then even a 250w or 400w hps will do.

Better if you divide the closet in two, a veg and flowering chamber and use a scrog or some other training to keep the height of plant low in the flowering cab, as for soil much better to go with independent pots, use good organic soil&nutes, Biobizz is a very good organic company.

#6 jawohio

jawohio

Old hand

• Members
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ohio United States

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:07 AM

60 watts per square foot is the ideal amount of wattage for a room - given adeqaute airflow and humidity control. The 600 watt will heat the space up quite a bit - however, airflow will solve this issue. The light will lead you towards your goal of 3-4 ounces of dried herb every two months. A benchmark is 1 gram per watt of light; however, I feel this is wet weight....hope this helps..Peace and Pot

I do not grow marijuana

"the led master of disaster"

Organic Mafia

#7 puffinmeown

puffinmeown

Old hand

• Members
  • 810 posts
  • LocationBroomfield CO

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:36 AM

lol...wet weight...never weighed my harvest wet...hmmm...to each his own.

Grow marijuana, Sell It, Buy Gold!

#8 HeweHaarlemmer

HeweHaarlemmer

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

WHAT SPECTRUM IS THE CFL LIGHT? I USE 2*65watt Low spectrum cfl and 3*25watt High spectrum 6500k daylight cfl here:

http://forums.cannab...mp;#Post1623045

here is information of PAR LIGHTING :
http://www.enviro-gr...o.uk/stuff1.asp

#9 EasternChez

EasternChez

Journeyman

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMaritimes

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

The spectrum is the 2700 K. I noticed a salt build up in the soil, thought it was a phosphorus def. I transplanted them into new soil, and gave each plant its own pot, and started using fresh spring water. They started looking better today, so I think I'm going to stick with this setup for now until I can get my hands on a new light. I've been looking for lights in my area and came across a few options, I was wondering if they'd be an alright option.

http://halifax.kijij...QAdIdZ181994449

http://halifax.kijij...QAdIdZ183170228

http://halifax.kijij...QAdIdZ184742837

#10 HeweHaarlemmer

HeweHaarlemmer

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

I think most people will suggest you buy a hps highpressuresodium 400watt+ light. I found one on ebay, but I don't know if that is the best deal. The plant needs the right kind of light. Your current 2700k cfl light will work.

I will be interested to see how your plant does because as you can see mine are using both spectrum. CFL sounds good for Veg. I have seen good results for Flowering, I think I was searching google "CFL utopia haze grow" or "CFL g13 haze grow".

I AM NEW TO THIS