time to harvest???pistils are turning redish brown

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 notz2

notz2

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

hello everyone...quik question about when to harvest?? i have noticed that on 1 out of my three plants which are all pretty close to harvest ....i noticed that the pistils on the buds are turning redish brown and are curling in and not viberant like some of the other pistils on the lower buds on the branches it looks to be just on the top colas of each branch..but the crystals are still pretty clear. it seems to me as if this should be somwhat normal??? time to havesty after i flush???? havnt done any flushing yet...wondering if i should start flushing?? im only plannning on doing one week of flush here at the very end.. thankxz again for anyone comments and or opinion

#2 AdamH420

AdamH420

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:12 AM

pics would be great, although if a majority of the pistils have switched over, and the heads are still clear, it's likely time to start a flush and see what happens.

bong

#3 Panama Red

Panama Red

Stoner

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

How many days into how long a cycle?
What you're seeing is the normal course of maturation. First the pistils turn color and the calyces start to swell, then the resin begins to change character.
Whether or not you should start flushing depends on a few things, imho. One of them is where you are on the calendar, another is how you've been feeding them (high NPK vs low NPK, slow release solids vs liquid, etc), and another is how you're going to flush (i.e. water, commercial prep, etc).
It's a good idea to keep an eye on the trichs from here on out, but in my experience, most strains are going to have around 50% or more colored pistils at harvest.

Harvest Your Herb by DJ Short

#4 notz2

notz2

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:24 PM

ya id like to show some pics but i broke my camera on xmas...im thinking it might ne time to flush myself.idk i was hoping for a lil more feed back on this..what about clippng the buds that have redish brown hairs from the branches in order to let the other buds grow fo a lilttle longer????

#5 notz2

notz2

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:51 PM

im about 60 days into flowering..and im not quite sure on how long of a flowering cycle i should be running with this strain..im growing (purps strain from bcseedking)im thinking its harvested between 60-72 days of flowering a typical 8-9 week flowering schedule.. i planted all three at the same time and the other 2 plants have bigger buds but has no sign of the pistils wanting to turn on me and the trics are all big but still somewhat clear...ive been feeding them on a water/feed water/feed schedule of dutchmasters liquid florasion .114-2-3 combined with a tblsp of molasses(with every watering) since i started the bloom stage..also with an occasional flush with clearex on like week 4 and week 8 to prevent salt biuld up..i plan on just using plain water with clearex for flushing..thankxz panama

#6 Panama Red

Panama Red

Stoner

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:01 PM

At least you know you're in the neighborhood. Mine almost always go longer than advertised. If the majority of the trichs are still clear, you've probably got a couple more weeks. I'd start flushing and watching the trichs every couple days. If the pistils turn, they turn. The color of the resin is the deciding factor.

#7 notz2

notz2

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:24 PM

hey thankz pr....i was thinking the same..i onli use the flowering times as a reference myself the trics r what tell me the real truth/time....one other quik ? tho.. what about if i just snip those buds off the plant whose trics are amberish????..since i do have quite a few very smaller ...lets say popcorn buds left on the stems below the top colas

#8 Panama Red

Panama Red

Stoner

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

Oh, yeah. Harvest the plant in stages if the buds mature at different rates.

#9 notz2

notz2

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:24 AM

hey thankxz again pr for your quik response and for your vast knowledge pothead