6 replies to this topic

#1 georgeherbin

georgeherbin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationTar Heel Country

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:08 PM

Well, that's the question. I've got 7 girls, 5 dudes and they're on day 10 of flowering. I want to get some pollen from the guys, by cutting off all male budsites but 1 and then sealing it off with a plastic bag. I don't want to do it too early though, as I don't want to stress the plant and cause a hermi. So when should I go about the snipping and bagging so as to prevent pollination of my crop yet also prevent the dudes from going Hermie on me?

So shines a good deed in a weary world...

#2 OCNORML

OCNORML

Sticker-er

• GlobalModerators
  • 6,157 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:13 PM

What? lol.. If you see balls on the males, its almost already too late. They don't BURST< they just fall open like an orange, and the "slices" hold the pollen, which drops like STONE. If you see balls on the males, bag them up. One "pollen sack" would seed your entire garden, its filled with 1000s and 1000s of bits. Bag the plant from head to toe, or specific branches separately, and tape the bags SHUT to the branches. When its dusty, cut the entire plant off at the base, and remove from room before fucking with the pollen retrieval.

I've seen the balls, and two days later the entire place was dusted. Not worth it.

Not to mention, neither is randomly producing cannabis seeds from hybrids IMO.

www.oaklandnorml.org I'd rather smoke Legal cannabis medically, than Medical cannabis legally.
173-0520115359-handcuffed.jpg

#3 georgeherbin

georgeherbin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationTar Heel Country

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

sooooo..... After having been flowering for 10 days, and only having shown sex 3 days ago, they've probably already pollinated my room? I mean.... all there was were the male pre-flowers at the nodes, with a *couple* of pollen sacks beginning to grow! If that is the case, this totally sucks and I feel about dumb as hell! PLEASE someone tell me this isn't the case!!! I'm freaking out over this!!!

So shines a good deed in a weary world...

#4 potheadME

potheadME

Old hand

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

If you don't want the female plants pollinated, cut the males down as soon as you are certain they are male.

If you want to keep pollen but don't want the female plants pollinated, cover the entire plant in a large clear plastic bag. Then once the pollen has dropped, as evidenced by the pollen on the inside of the clear bag, cut the male down. Then I recommend leaving it to hang and dry for a week or so, shake the shit out of the bag, cut a tiny bit of one corner off and shake the pollen out into a container.

Either way, accept that you have a risk of seeds appearing in your buds if you allow the male to grow, especially if it is in the same vicinity. You will also have to clean your area thoroughly after the male has pollinated in it.

If we knew what we were doing it wouldn't be research would it?
-Albert Einstein

#5 AdamH420

AdamH420

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

If you want to keep pollen but don't want the female plants pollinated, cover the entire plant in a large clear plastic bag. Then once the pollen has dropped, as evidenced by the pollen on the inside of the clear bag, cut the male down. Then I recommend leaving it to hang and dry for a week or so, shake the shit out of the bag, cut a tiny bit of one corner off and shake the pollen out into a container.

I disagree.
I tried this about 6 months ago, and though I collected some material, the plants had sweat into the bags and moisture built up with the pollen, and killed the pollen.

Your male will bust nuts far before the female is in the prime... let him flower some preflowers if you want a few beans... then wack him down and hang him over glass, collect his pollen.

bong

#6 Panama Red

Panama Red

Stoner

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:04 AM

Male flowers mature at different rates. The largest majority will take the best part of a week or 2 to open and disperse pollen. BUT there are at least a few males out there that will mature in a few days, so it's best to segregate or cull the males as soon as you ID them as such.

So you may have a few seeds in your crop. NBD.

#7 weedmen

weedmen

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,840 posts
  • Locationsomewere over the rainbow

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:20 AM

if its a strain that pre-sexed then it will alwayas bust a few early male flowers open ..yes they burst open ..we cant see it but it has been filmed before and it dose actully shoot the pollen out when it burst ..if its a presexing strain then one of the male flowers down the main stalk will bust open first and it may happen a few days to a few weeks before the rest open ..one flower will hold 100's of thousands of pollen ..also to make sure ya get the pheno you want or the best one you may need to pollenate with all your males ..but if your just after a few beans then just dust it with one and get rid of the rest of the males ..i am seeding my whole closet out now with 5 males and one has started to openm and shoot pollen so once i seen a few flowers were open i pulled my one male ..i no my closet will produce seeds the next couple runs ,but its a great strain and its only for me so i dont care ...it really depends on your wants and needs ..

p.s if you have any that have open then chances are all have been pollenated by the pollen moving around from the fan ..

good luck ..

weedmen

250K people die everyday,if everyone prayed everyday for them,250K people would still die everyday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users