• Photo
      25 Jul
    BongAkaDrew

About to attempt my first 4g run of bho :) wish me luck

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      25 Jul
    the_dank_one

nothing pisses me off more to come by and see all my pics have been removed and the threads look like shit now..pointless

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Photo

Searching for a family doctor in Victoria/BC

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 chillin

chillin

Stranger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationV. Isle

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:02 AM

Hi,

I am looking for a family doctor in BC who is knowledgeable about Medical Marijuana, and who is also a kind and friendly family physician.

I am a father of a child, and have a wife that would all like to see the same doctor. Quality care, of course, is very important.

My specific needs, for medical marijuana, are:
  • Chronic Pain; Post-surgery (knee injury/reconstruction) - Pensioned from Veteran Affairs for life.
  • Pain; neck/back. Multiple injuries
  • Brain Injury: Classic Brain Injury symptoms.(short/long term memory issues, reduction in logical reasoning abilities, headaches,impulsiveness, isolation tendencies, reduced motivation, language impairment when tired) I remain highly functional (at least thats something) but wear this injury like a piano on my back.
  • Headaches: Side effect from Brain Injury
  • Migraines: Have been increasing in frequency. On average 1+/month, lasting for a week. Lately I have had two/month, one lasted for two weeks, the other for a few days.
  • Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - Pensioned from Veteran Affairs for life / War Veteran
  • Insomnia: Likely a side effect of PTSD and/or Brain Injury

Complications:
  • Visible minority.
  • Resistant to opiates. Minimal to no pain relief, minimal to significant side effects.

On the plus side, I am not at risk to be dependent on Opiates, downside is they can't help manage pain either.

#2 WeedWitch420.1

WeedWitch420.1

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,861 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:12 AM

[*] Visible minority: Despite various attempts at assimilation, my melanin production has remained unaffected.

Do Canadian doctors recommend cannabis for this? laugh

-*witchy*

#3 chillin

chillin

Stranger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationV. Isle

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

Do Canadian doctors recommend cannabis for this? laugh

Thank you for pointing this out.

I edited my post to reflect this is a complication, NOT a symptom.

(I admit, at first I was like Grrr mad , but after I came back, I saw your point.) cheeky
Good catch.

#4 Ted Smith

Ted Smith

Old hand

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • Locationvictoria bc

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

The only doctor in Victoria openly accepting patients is Dr. Dave Hepburn but it can take well over 1 full year to get an appointment with him. Most doctors here are still hestitant to sign forms for a bunch of lame reasons. They are generally more concerned with their licence to practice medicine than they are your health.

If you meet someone who can refer you to a doctor that will get you past the secretary, otherwise it is hard to get an appointment in the first place.

At our club you only need to present a diagnosis of a permanent, physical disability or disease + photo id. The doctor does not even need to know what you are doing. We have established in court that you have a medical necessity that we are providing for. There is no cost to join.

#5 Lesaonar

Lesaonar

Stranger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:35 AM

Dr. Paul Pereira is my GP and he fully supports Medicinal Marijuana.

680-1070 Douglas St, Victoria, BC V8W 2C4
383-0449

#6 Iconoclast

Iconoclast

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

That's pretty generous of you Lesaonar to share that info with the rest of us. It seems like people in the Vancouver area with MMAR licenses are either unwilling or unable to share that sort of information. Just an observation...

#7 chillin

chillin

Stranger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationV. Isle

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

I appreciate the assistance being offered. smile

The trouble I am having now seems to be finding a doctor who will accept new patients! Finding one of these who is also open minded seems to be like playing the lottery.

It is easier finding a veterinarian than it is finding a GP.

#8 chillin

chillin

Stranger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationV. Isle

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

I finally found a family doctor who doesn't mind me being a visible minority.
I even got sent for an x-ray!

A galloping case of Neck/Shoulder osteoarthritis and bone spurs.
I know it's wrong, but after so many years of people telling me that the real problem was that I was a ndn looking for drugs,and now to have evidence that proves I was right, almost feels good.
But not good enough to make me feel any better.

Even my parents believed the broken health system before they believed their own son.
I am, however, expected to continue to trust the health care system, because they have my best interests at heart?

All those months, over a decade, of pain and stress.
And all of it, for no reason, if they'd just have listened, and looked, when I asked them over and over, all those years.

This is a sick country, I am living in.

If I didn't have arthritis so bad, I'd shake my fist at the world in futile frustration.
I guess the world will have to settle for the finger instead.

#9 Mary88

Mary88

Stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:57 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that I phoned Dr Pereira and their office let me know that he is not taking any new patients for any reason and Dr Pereira does not specifically recommend medical marijuana use as part of his health care plan

#10 VicDankness

VicDankness

Stranger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

Found out that Dr Hepburn does walk ins once a week in Vic.Will take a confirmation of my diagnosis(IBS) and see what he says. I am gonna try soon,ill let you know how it goes.

#11 Danie

Danie

Journeyman

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

Hey there,

Did you have any luck? I also have IBS so I'm curious if the doctor would prescribe medical marijuana for it. My impression is that doctors will only prescribe it for very serious things. Though, I'm quite lucky that my IBS isn't nearly as serious as some people's. Let me know!

Danie

#12 Smurro

Smurro

Stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Hello im from Holland, i have ADHD and I used to use cannabis in my country.

I want now a doctor who prescribe

#13 Sticky_Icky

Sticky_Icky

Old hand

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

Good luck with that.

#14 grassy

grassy

Stoner

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

For IBS, use Questran or it' substitute. Works like magic. There will be no joy if you try to get a MMAR on that...

Grassy
Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction - Bob Marley

#15 blueberrychronic

blueberrychronic

Garden stoner

• Members
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

Here is more evidence that the mmar does not work. Another person
Trying to find a doctor that will sign.