Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      25 Oct
    SeaWeed

A couple crazy men do not a terrorist attack make - but it is a great platform to take a few more freedoms, for 'securities sake'

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      24 Oct
    Doobie Brother

You ever notice how most Ford vehicle names are more fun when you put "anal" in front of them? Probe, Explorer, Excursion, Endeavor, Ranger, Focus...

Show comments (1)
  • Photo
      21 Oct
    Dove

just had a bowl of black tuna. After a long strech of using a vape, the feeling of resiny lips is a deja vu.

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Photo

My dry buds smell like hay... what gives??

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 potheadME

potheadME

Old hand

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:13 AM

I harvested the top third of my first plant from my new hydro setup. Had a good 50/50 on the pistil colors. I trimmed them up well and put them in a fan powered drying box on a screen. 5 days later the stems would snap instead of bending. So I took them out and put them into a glass jar yesterday.

So I opened the jar to burp it today and it smells like fresh mown hay. Like freaking dry grass on my lawn.

What the hell???

Is this normal? Will it get better as the cure progresses? Is my strain really shitty?

I am also considering adding a bit of humidity to the jar since they got really dry on me faster than I expected.

Thoughts? Ideas?

If we knew what we were doing it wouldn't be research would it?
-Albert Einstein

#2 roundhousekick

roundhousekick

Stoner

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:38 AM

you dried them in a barn?

smoke em if you get em..

#3 PigBoy

PigBoy

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationSwine Enfluenza Central

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

Yeah man, what kind of location did u dry them in?
They're going to take in hay smell if there's shitloads of hay around.
Are you 'burping' them while in the glass jars? You should do that at least a couple weeks before smoking it. Open the jar for a cpl hours or so everyday.

Organic Mafia (Ont Div.) Organic, only real way to grow.
morbo: i dont even think before i type

#4 ΘℏΙℊℏο ☞

ΘℏΙℊℏο ☞

Enlightened Cannabist

• Members
  • 5,001 posts
  • LocationThe Fifty Americas

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

Give them some time to cure. Maybe that'll help.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.Robert A. Heinlein

The only impossibilities in physics is precognition and perpetual motion.

#5 indica44

indica44

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

Does it get you stoned I have had primo bud smell like hay at first but after awhile curing an drying it turned out just great

#6 DANKNUG

DANKNUG

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  • Locationthe wicked garden

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

Does it get you stoned I have had primo bud smell like hay at first but after awhile curing an drying it turned out just great

same here, it smelled like hay at first but after 4-5 weeks the smell goes away. the clorophyl has yo degrade more. make sure your keep burping the jars and take the buds out for a little while every now and again.

#7 indica44

indica44

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

I like using those nescafe rich tins instant coffee to cure in and the buds cure very nice . IMO

#8 Irie

Irie

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationLat. 34

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

I'm not saying you did, but if you take the bud before it's ready it'll smell like fresh lawn trimmings/hay.
Like others said, cure it and it'll prolly smell better.

#9 ganjaBandito

ganjaBandito

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Locationbayou

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

maybe you dried em too fast with the fan and the box, was the fan blowing right on the buds or how was it set up?

rule number 6. dont fucking worry

#10 DickDasterdly

DickDasterdly

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationCItizen of the planet

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

My were the same way, but after another week they are smelling skunky.

"Avoid paralysis thru analysis"

#11 matamus

matamus

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Locationpuerto rico

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

Mine also took a good 2-4 weeks before the onset of the real smell came on, just keep burping your jars and it will get better. Just like a fine wine with time it is better if properly taken care of.

Peace & Pot
Green Guru
Dutch Triple W's WEED, WHEELS, AND WINDMILLS!!

#12 buddahlovah

buddahlovah

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationStoned in California

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

Yeah I know that smell but don't worry about it, I think it comes from drying it too quickly but matamus is right it goes away after a good cure so your fine.

Peace

#13 kRoNiKtOkEr

kRoNiKtOkEr

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:19 PM

i got some bud right now that reaks like hay. my guess is it was a mass crop dried in a barn. i had this not too long ago aswell from someone else.
Still does the trick though.

#14 potheadME

potheadME

Old hand

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

Trying to answer the questions, both asked, and unasked.

I think I may have actually postponed the harvest a bit because I was hoping for more bud development and instead all I got was trichomes turning red/brown. Good cause I like it stoney, but may have lost a bit of potency.

The drying box, has no heat, it is a small computer fan mounted on the bottom, with three screens arranged inside. I dried the trimmings on the bottom screen in a pretty solid layer. I dried bud on the very top screen. There are vents on the back of the box, about a quarter of the way from the top. So the air blows in, up through, and out. I looked and couldn't find a volumetric flow rating for the fan. The cabinet is about 8 cubic feet though.

I am curing in glass jars. The smell has gotten a bit better.

Funny note. The buds I cut Saturday and have been in the dryer since then, don't have the hay smell so strong. They are pretty scentless for the most part although I would like to think I smell a bit of something in there.

I mean, at this point, what do you do? Just keep curing them, hope it gets better. They will cure until my older jars are empty and it gets smoked in turn. So either way, I put too much work in it to throw out, I AM SMOKING THIS SHIT!!! But that doesn't mean I won't bitch about it while I am doing it....:-)

If we knew what we were doing it wouldn't be research would it?
-Albert Einstein

#15 Tomato 420

Tomato 420

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Locationearth, sol, milkyway galaxy (whatever) galaxy cluster, the universe

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

damn fellas, eveyone knows the smell of properlyy cured buds is the normal smell we think of bud.

Hay smell is the uncured smell.

the sad part is most folks can't wait long enough before they smoke them or sell it if they are on a small scale.

so, the smoke shitty weed and/or sell shitty smelling weed at a low price when they could have increased profits by50% by just curing for the normal 30 days.

in less crazy countries where weed isn''t so hated i hear they cure for a year because they have enough weed to last them that long.

Canada: The good America

#16 ganjaBandito

ganjaBandito

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Locationbayou

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

yea its the box and fan.
maybe try hangin em on the branches til the buds r prety dry but the stems still bend a little. then cut em off the big stems and put em in brown paper bags for a couple days. unless theyre already pretty dry, then you could proly skip the paper bags and start putting em in and out of jars, and leaving em sit out if they get too wet. or not opening them for a while if they get too dry. i could be doing it wrong tho, my bud smells good n junk but im no expert.

rule number 6. dont fucking worry

#17 seventhchild

seventhchild

Stranger

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:02 AM

Had a good 50/50 on the pistil colors.

pistil color is a poor indicter of ripeness,you probably harvested early.get a scope and watch the tricomes . clear trics lose their smell quickly and indicate immaturity , cloudy and amber trics are what you need to look for.

#18 thagemini33

thagemini33

Journeyman

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:11 PM

Sounds like a combo of cutting too soon and drying to fast. You want to dry your plants in a whole like the whole plant that is just cut it and hang it somewhere that has about 40 to 50 percent humidity and the temps are cool like 72 74, dont blow air on them just let water evaporate, you can put a fan in the room but make sure it moves air very slowly like a circulating fan in a bedroom or something like that not a closet or a small enclosure. The slower you dry the plant the better, if you hang them in a bedroom or closet with the door open it should take about a week to dry to snap, after that put in quart canning jars and empty the jars at least once or twice a day for a half hour or hour. Not flushing right can also cause weird smells especially a dry grass or hay smell, if flushing is the problem curing will not change it much, but like others said if it smells bad and smokes good then have at it but remember correct drying and curing has alot to do with thc in terms of preserving it and the terpens of the plant.

#19 ΘℏΙℊℏο ☞

ΘℏΙℊℏο ☞

Enlightened Cannabist

• Members
  • 5,001 posts
  • LocationThe Fifty Americas

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:24 PM

Never real saw any sense in drying a whole plant unless your dealing with bulk amounts.

And I don't think I've ever heard THC content effecting preservation. The smell is from the plant matter. And the THC is on the outside of the plant matter within the trichs.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.Robert A. Heinlein

The only impossibilities in physics is precognition and perpetual motion.

#20 richi420

richi420

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationGarden City, Canada

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:09 PM

There is a few things that can cause the "hay" smell. One of the reasons can be because of your buds not being flushed properly,basicly your smelling the excess chlorophyll. Another reason tht can bring the smell is that you dried to quick/fast. If you still smell it or even have some taste of it you can always water cure your buds. Dont just go off of pistil color.like some have already said, go get a magnifying scope or jewelers lope and see how the trics look.Once you get to know the strain your growing then you can go off how they look but it takes a few grows of the same strain to get that down. Remember the slower you dry and cure the better end product.Peace

FREE MARC EMERY AND ALL P.O.W.
"It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong"