11 replies to this topic

#1 Ferradoxin

Ferradoxin

Stoner

• Members
  • 426 posts
  • LocationThylakoid Membrane - Photosystem I

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

I need a little help wrapping my head around the exhaust system for my shed. I want to use inline fans/ducting to cool my hoods, and also exhaust the the ambient air through a carbon filter to cut down on smell.

1) Can I use just 1 fan for this, or do I need 2?
2) If I need 2 fans, can I exhaust both ducts through the same filter, or will I also need 2 filters?
3) Do I even need to exhaust the air cooling the lights out of the room, or can I just have a blower/fan recirculating air w/in the room for that?
4) Last, more boneheaded question: Should the air be blown AT the lights, or sucked THROUGH the lights to cool them?

Thanks.

#2 enojadoperro

enojadoperro

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

You can use one fan, start with the filter, then the fan, then the air cooled light then the exhaust hole.
I think it's best to blow thru the light, then the hot air isn't going thru the fan heating it up, although I'm not sure if it really makes a difference.

If the shed is running too hot with just one fan and you need to add another this would be an option.
Vent from the outside of the shed to the fan thru the light and out the other side of the shed, then you don't need a filter on that line cause you not sucking out stinky air.
Then the other fan would be filter to fan to outside.

You'll want to exhaust the air from the light to the outside as it will be hot so just blowing it around the room would not be good.

#3 Ferradoxin

Ferradoxin

Stoner

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:16 AM

I found a diagram on the net last night that had the filter, then the lights, then the fan exhausting outside. The lights have lenses that are sealed around the hood, so the only air getting sucked ourside is coming thru the room via the filter. How does that sound?

#4 enojadoperro

enojadoperro

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:39 PM

That should work fine.

Free downloadable Grow Books....
http://www.growmoreweed.com/

#5 displayname

displayname

Stranger

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

I found a diagram on the net last night that had the filter, then the lights, then the fan exhausting outside. The lights have lenses that are sealed around the hood, so the only air getting sucked ourside is coming thru the room via the filter. How does that sound?

That is what I have done and it's working quite well. When choosing the exhaust fan's cfm, go for the room size but also take into consideration the draw the carbon filter will put on it.

#6 akfatman

akfatman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • Locationspace the last frontier

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:19 AM

The fan should suck cool outside air from outside the grow room through a partcle filter and preferably throgh a vent hood such as a drier vent exhaust with a flap that close the enrtance wg hen the fan is not running. The fan should draw air from the room through a crabon filter and exhaust it outside your home unless you need the heat such as during the winter. It should be controlled by a thermostat. If you need fresh air for CO2 replenishment use a small muffin fan outside the grow room that runs off the lighting circui so it is costantly providing a small amount of fresh air. Use the can fabn hooked up to the carbon filter just to exhaust excess heat and humidity. use a seperate fan pushing cool air from outside the room through dusct and flexible duct through your hights and send that air outside. It should only run when the lights are on. ie three fans.ilter and blow air through the lights. It is much more efficient to push cold dense air than to try to suck hot air so the fan that will be used with the carbon can will not run efficiently with the hot air it is exhausting unless it is humid. Then the fan will work more efficiently but the carbon will work less efficiently as its pores will become filled with moisture. Moist carbon removes less odor.

Ba da boom!

#7 Ferradoxin

Ferradoxin

Stoner

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

Any suggestions on a good thermostat that I can hook the exhaust fan up to? It would be nice to be able to hook up a duct fan and/or heater for winter time.

#8 Ferradoxin

Ferradoxin

Stoner

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:01 PM

Got a 450cfm 6" fan for my ~600 cu ft room running 2000 watts. Gonna have the filter first, then lights, then the fan exhuasting outside. If temps become an issues, I will have to invest in another fan and set it up how Angry Dog mentioned.

#9 enojadoperro

enojadoperro

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

http://www.bghydro.c...=AACTH1&eq=&Tp=
It's $50, I'm not sure how much cheaper you can find one.

#10 Ferradoxin

Ferradoxin

Stoner

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:01 AM

Good find, thanks. I think I am going to go with this one instead: http://www.bghydro.c...=AACTH3&eq=&Tp= - so I can change it to control a heater in winter.

#11 enojadoperro

enojadoperro

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

That's pretty cool.
My heater has a thermostat built in so it only comes on when it gets too cold, but that control looks like a good idea.

#12 akfatman

akfatman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • Locationspace the last frontier

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:20 PM

Ranco from Ranco ETC store. http://www.rancoetc....tage-p-105.html A little bit more expensive but much better quality. With the Ranco you can set your differential temperature a30 degrees, not the non-adjustable 3 or 4 degrees of the cheaper hydroponic controller. plus I can pretty much gy uarntee you that the Hydroponic relays are lower in capacity than the Ranco controller. A Ranco controller can easily handle the load of a 1200 btu airconditioner or 1100 watt heater. Plus the cheap Hydro unit requires that you rewire the controller each time you want to switch between cooling and heating. ie it has only one relay. The Ranco has a sepearte output relay for heat and for cooling. No rewiring needed. This means you can have both cooling di uring the day and heating at night if needed without having to rewire every day. You do need to wire up your outlets to the Ranco controller but that is extremely simple and fully described and explained with with providing documentation to include illustrations.

Ba da boom!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users