• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 area13

area13

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Locationtasmania ,australia

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:49 PM

hi people a couple of weeks ago i read a post were folks were dreamin about an automated room. well here is the info. a company called www.autogrow.com in newzealand as developed a great set of controlers called ,INTELLICLIMATE and INTELIIDOSE. these to products are insane, they are usb plug ins and have full software packages . the climate control does exactly that , lights fans, heaters ,a/c ,dehumidify, fogger and co2 it has intruder alams that txt u . it is remote accessable thru modem, the list goes on. the doser has 8 part dosing that controles everything ph nuits the works even temp control of tank. ive looked at the software ,its amazing. check out da site and checkout this one www.hydroneeds.com.au they have down loadable pfd on the products witch will intrest alot of you . hope this insites some disscusion. thanx 13

#2 area13

area13

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:57 PM

heres a couple of photos
[img:center]Posted Image[/img] [img:center]Posted Image[/img]

#3 George_W_Heyduke

George_W_Heyduke

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 5,364 posts
  • Locationon a pillow of winds

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:33 AM

I've seen the intellidose in action--spendy, but damned fine use of capillary technology...

#4 akfatman

akfatman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • Locationspace the last frontier

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

Kinda crazy to put all your eggs in one basket. Wouldn't it be a shame if your kid used your computer to use a chat line and turned it off or crashed it. Individual control components can be expensive and redundants can add even more costs but if you can afford such a system just leave the computers to gathering data sent to them so that you can watch how your system is doing when your not around. ie monitor not control. Don't give all control to a computer. That is ludicrous.

Heck I hate that I give so mauch control to the power and light company. Even up here they will not allow someone in the city to produce their own power full time with genaerators if i distributed power is available. If they allowed it I would be on generated power. I do have an electric started generator that starts itself up and enough battery back up for 4 kWh for 40 minutes. My employer knows if the power goes out in my home I am leaving work until it is back on. My coral reef tanks are considered an acceptable excuse to allow that.

Ba da boom!

#5 area13

area13

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

hi guys to answer ak ,the system would have its own computer. imean they only cost about $100 second hand 4 what u would need to control the atuo grow components. and how are you informed if your power goes out or things in your system fail oorr u have an intruder? im very stealth here were i am so the auto grow would be great if only for the fact it can txt me while at work of any problems that have ocured. thanx for your thourghts guys this is what l posted for ,to get ideas pros an cons to help decide if this is the way to go

#6 George_W_Heyduke

George_W_Heyduke

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 5,364 posts
  • Locationon a pillow of winds

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:00 PM

^^^

what he said

#7 Nozmirk

Nozmirk

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:46 AM

I use x10 to control my room from a pc.

.:[ a day without a buzz, is a day that never was ]:.
afghani / skunk #1 LED
afghani / skunk #1 HID

#8 Earl

Earl

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,714 posts
  • LocationSynthetic farm

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

I'm doing a virtual grow with my Wii.....

#9 akfatman

akfatman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

Dial up devices are easy to buy and use. They call you when the analog sending unit indicates there is a problem. I use Hach GLI analyzers on my systems as monitors and they all have analog out puts and alarm ouputs. Bought surplus they are no more expensive that hobby grade equipment. My laert system calls my cell phone as well as sending an email when ever the pH or conductivity is beyond limits set, the temperature is too high or too low, when power goes out, when the lights go out, when the CO2 pressure drops too low, when the mister water pump(s) go down (flow meter) and if the house proximity sensors indicate movement in the house. Plug in boards cna be bought for a computer to do the same thing. Usually your talking about $100 for about 12 analog inputs and 2 to 4 digital input devices. I have no cats or dogs. They are all just simple 0-40 ma outputs from sensors tied to a cheap house alarm set up. The same system is set up to cover the reef tanks. Nearly all the companies that generally sell X10 home alarm systems usually also sell dial up systems. I merely bought mo ine off of eBay. It accepts signals to many analog input devices but only a few digital devices.

Ba da boom!

#10 akfatman

akfatman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

hi guys to answer ak ,the system would have its own computer. imean they only cost about $100 second hand 4 what u would need to control the atuo grow components. and how are you informed if your power goes out or things in your system fail oorr u have an intruder? im very stealth here were i am so the auto grow would be great if only for the fact it can txt me while at work of any problems that have ocured. thanx for your thourghts guys this is what l posted for ,to get ideas pros an cons to help decide if this is the way to go

Just make sure you get a software system that will send you an email or also pay the cost for a cheapial up modem connection and let it call you with a going down message if ever it goes down. You will need a small UPS battery back up system if it is a desk top computer. It would dial your phone or sell phone as part of its shut down procedure. Only then if your CPU or hard drive died would you not know what was up.

Ba da boom!

#11 roundie

roundie

Stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

hi people a couple of weeks ago i read a post were folks were dreamin about an automated room. well here is the info. a company called www.autogrow.com in newzealand as developed a great set of controlers called ,INTELLICLIMATE and INTELIIDOSE. these to products are insane, they are usb plug ins and have full software packages . the climate control does exactly that , lights fans, heaters ,a/c ,dehumidify, fogger and co2 it has intruder alams that txt u . it is remote accessable thru modem, the list goes on. the doser has 8 part dosing that controles everything ph nuits the works even temp control of tank. ive looked at the software ,its amazing. check out da site and checkout this one www.hydroneeds.com.au they have down loadable pfd on the products witch will intrest alot of you . hope this insites some disscusion. thanx 13

hey,
Peter here from hydroneeds . Thanks for the hits. If anyone would like to order from us use this promocode 'CCFORUMS' to recieve 10% off

hydroneeds online webshop

#12 akfatman

akfatman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:24 AM

There is some nice equipment there but the nine nutrient feature is pretty absurd if much of the cost for the controller is caused by that feature. Considering how few people mix there own nutrients or even mix some thing like the Lucas formula it is jsut wasted money. Then when you consider all it does is ease in mo ixing. No great gain. The web interaction and the software is good, but not $500 or $600 worth of good. Other than that you have a poor resolution non temperature compensated pH controller with out a pH probe and a concuctivity controller without a probe (the probes are the expensive part if you use good process grade probes). IMHO they are worth about half of what they charge or even less. They do not even provide the transformer to run them. Pretty sad for over $1000.

What commercial growers are buying are water cooling tower controllers and adding a pH controller to it. Industri\al equipment for the cost of the hobby grade you have posted links too. For an exampli I bought this one off of ebay this week. It is a model 2175-RTC froom ebay. I paid $202.50 http://www.lakewoodi...towers/2175.htm

I also bought a Pulsatrol NCH110C for only $34.95 on ebay. They sell normally for over $100s retail.

Both came with sensors and both have dial up modems built in.

Hach Gli Industrial grade Conductivity Analyzer/Controller $75.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...p3286.m20.l1116

Hach GLI pH controller/analyzer Usually around $50 to $75 this ones is $267.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...p3286.m20.l1116

Lots of ways to go. I would stick with industrial American equipment though. The other stuff is just cheap circuitry that will fry the first time water gets to it. Sorta like buying hobby grade pH meters like American Marine Pin Point. I like a pH meter that floats and advertises how many minutes it is water proof and at what depths. They just tend to fall in fluids to much and get splashed with water constantly. There are hundreds of industrial plants shutting down in this country at this time. We might as well buy the equipment rather than have it hauled to the landfills. Equipment like this is now regularly available.

Ba da boom!

#13 area13

area13

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:20 AM

great piont ak , but the cost of shipping some of the products from the u.s make it not worth while. buy a peace for 200 and pay another 300 to get it hear, tassie is a long haul ive been caught before on bmx parts . its great that this post has raised the pros an cons of this sort of growin . it will defernatly help with my reserch on the subject. i will take every thing on board before makin a decision on what i do. peace an good growin

#14 akfatman

akfatman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:29 PM

I live in Alaska so I know about high shipping costs. I in genearl apy as much as people Pay fi or international shipments. My only saving grace is when I can find sellers that will ship by USPS flat rate mail as it is not based upomn weight or destination within the US.

The majority of industrial equipment I buy is at prices of about 5% to 10% of retail. I have boughta lot of $1000 dollar controllers for $50 or less. Ebay is also sold in other countries. I have just recently looked at equipment being sold in Australlia. Typically the shipping is as much or more than the equipment cost but when you can but]y a $1000 piece of equipment for $50 a $100 for shipping is still worth while as you will have to pay retail and shipping for other equipment. I have vbought electronic s such as controllers, meters and such from Canada, Japa, China, Europe and Australlia in the past and will very likely do so again.

Ba da boom!

#15 Suzi

Suzi

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:50 AM

Also factor in bro, the septics use 110 volt, and tassie is 240 volt last time I checked, so there would either be electrical issues, or costs involved in rectifying same.

:-)

#16 potheadME

potheadME

Old hand

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

Just buy the Labview computer software from National Instruments and use the infinite configuration and as many channels as needed. Then you only have to buy the hardware you need.

Labview is a program that creates virtual instruments. You never need any particular instrument, just create VI using a simple block diagram and feed the voltage into the board. It doesn't work with USB though, have to have a nice little input cable and appropriate card slot available. My laptop has a plug in for it. I had a lot of fun playing around with speakers and microphones, but I built a few thermocouples too, the hardest part is to get them calibrated. Not too bad, just need some ice water and boiling water.

If we knew what we were doing it wouldn't be research would it?
-Albert Einstein

#17 akfatman

akfatman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:22 PM

I realise they will accept inputs in 0 to 5 volts and have computer controlable relays but can you access the online data from a remote computer on a web site etc? Do you know if the sell models that will also except 0 to 40 ma inputs or didital inputs?

Ba da boom!

#18 potheadME

potheadME

Old hand

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

Labview really doesn't have different models. So the answer is yes, you can save data, transmit data, receive an email, text message, or even a recorded phone call to let you know what is going on remotely.

As far as the digital inputs or other ranges, there are some hardware add-ons that allow for manipulation of the inputs into whatever range is required. For undergrad lab courses we use a little input/output box designed for undergrad courses. However, for our bigger research projects we tend to buy more specialized hardware for the particular application. For the home hobbyist the generic box is probably good enough, maybe need a transformer or two. All electronic equipment reads a voltage difference and then translates that into a calibrated range using data reduction equations, the biggest problem is the error associated but that only is an issue with huge data fields where small variations cause deviation or even feedback. For horticulture the error would be negligible.

Recently there was work on a huge DOD contract on filters and the filter test train was run for two weeks. All of the particle counters, the aerosol generator, humidity, and temp data was collected and controlled using a single laptop and a single copy of labview. All of the data was recorded, stored, and reduced plus all of the data was available to be viewed real time on the screen. Oh my god!!! It was one sexy setup!!!

If we knew what we were doing it wouldn't be research would it?
-Albert Einstein

#19 progrow2

progrow2

Stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

I've used both the Intelliclimate and the Growtronix systems and in my opinion Growtronix is by far the best computerized control option out there. Plus Growtronix will control multiple rooms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users