Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo

How to grow a mother plant the best way?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TheChronic

TheChronic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

Sorry if this aint the forum for this question but it fit best.
I need to know from small clone and on how ya'all care for your mother plants. Im not asking how to pick one, i already know that. I have been using a mother plant. I grew a number of seeds took 2 clones off each and made one of the clones my mother plant of the plant i was happiest with.
I have a list of questions:

1. Do you top it?
1a.If so how many nodes?
2. How do you control size?
Note:I have only taken one set of clones off mine and the plant is already big enuff for like a 1/2 pound, and i dont have a ton of space. I also still have a good 6-8 weeks before i need to get more clones from it. I dont have a huge area for my mother plant/ clones. I will need space for 2 of them at one point, and right now at the size the mothe rplant is i got space for 2 of them of this size and my clones. So i gotta control size.
3. Where do you take clones from?
Note: I have taken mine from lower, upper branches and even the tops. Unfortunatly(for one plant) the tops didnt root...but they did bud under 24 hours light lol.
4. How often do you use a clone to make a new mother and bud the old one?

Aside from those questions id like any tips for mother plant care possible. Or else im just gunna use a new mother plant everytime. Just take all the cuttings, set one aside for a mother, veg and flower the clones, and 3 weeks berfore flower is over as usual take my clones off the next mother plant that is the same age as my flowering ones. I may even have to do 2 mother plants at a time cuz i do 60 clones per. Then every grow ill have a mother plant or 2 in there that produces over 2x the weed as the rest. I just dont get the whole mother plant thing, unless ya'all have a really tall big room for your mother plants with a lot of light.....but i just dont see wasting so much space and power for mother plants when really(in my case) i can take 1 clone off all 60 plants giving me another 60 clones without bothering with a mother plant. Only problem is my cloning room cant fit 60 8 week clones in 2-3 gallon pots, it can only fit them in dixie cups at whatever size...probl;y 5 weeks maybe 6 weeks max. and I can expand my area. I only have a certain amount of space, I use 3/4 fpr flowering, and this 3/4 is all taller than the last 1/4 i use for clones and the mommy's.

Thank's in advance, hoping to har multiple stragegy's.
If there is a way to slow growth on plants I could go either way, mother plant growing slow or just take clones right before flower and clones grow slow.

#2 TheGuy_Eh

TheGuy_Eh

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:32 PM

Check out the Grow FAQ section, tons of good info.
1.Top or FIM
2.I control size by pruning, tying down branches, pruning roots.
3.I take cuts from any happy, healthy looking branch. Cut just above a node so it will branch out again. Even a leaf will root.
4.Personally never.
As far as causing slow growth, give it less light.
I can't really think of anything else at this point, it's 2am and I just got back from helping a couple friends move to a new house and I'm pretty baked.
Check out the Grow FAQ section!

What is the diff. between his oral temp. and rectal temp?

#3 TheChronic

TheChronic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:05 AM

Ok got it, didnt really help on keeping it short tho....more like makes it tall lol. giving it less light will actualy make it bigger, just will have less nodes.
Ive heard so many stories one in particular: man this plant on the side of the barn i swear within 4 months it was taller than the barn was! must have been some old p[ig shit.... LOL...maybe cuz that side of the barn gets no light! LOL like 1 foot inbetween nodes

#4 TheChronic

TheChronic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:28 AM

I guess PRUNING is my problem, says to take cutting even when not needed. Can i just cut the tops right down? it would be really nice at a point to just cut 3/4 of every branch down and leave maybe just 1 branch rto grow off it, so its not exacly topping it...sinceonly one branch is growing back out...I think ill do that. My current mother is huge and im only taking about 20 cutting is about 6 weeks which wont even phase it then its going in with the rest, cuz i wont need that strain no more, I have 3 and im using this til my 3rd one is ready, it takes awile to mature.
After the 3rd is ready ill have a sativa i got from a freind as a clone, damn nice plant wish he knew what it was, he also got it from a friend and said he didnt understand what the guy was syaing so it could be some badass shit asd far as i know. I havnt gotten a finished plant yet. and the one im waiting to mature is a strain of my own, I had a silver haze male given to me and i mexed it with a female indica strong plant, it puts out some KILLER bud, so ill be keeping that for a very long time. even after I get my AK-47, ill be growing the AK and that, then later im getting a top of the line indica thwen im dumping my strain...well cept some seeds smile

#5 TheGuy_Eh

TheGuy_Eh

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:30 AM

Good luck...
I'd do a LOT of reading if I was you.

What is the diff. between his oral temp. and rectal temp?

#6 TheChronic

TheChronic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

I know quite a bit about growing not as much as a noob at it as i sound heh i just never have cloned before, and its been 4 years since ive grown

#7 *ThC*4PØT}{EaÐ

*ThC*4PØT}{EaÐ

Stoner

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

what you can also do is develop a cycle once your mother gets to a certain size take a cutting ( cut down at least 4 nodes) and root cuttings and then one of the new cuttings becomes the new mother plant and then you can move the previous mother plant and flower it.

"All is fair in love and war"

#8 TheChronic

TheChronic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

Actualy thats what im gunna do smile

#9 frmrgrl

frmrgrl

Ganja God

• Members
  • 5,557 posts
  • LocationRidin' the storm out

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

Quote:
i dont have a ton of space.
BONSAI !

#10 Hot Poke Salad

Hot Poke Salad

Old hand

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

Great article frmrgrl. bong

Best quote ever:
"I'm doing it just because it needs to be done.
It's fucking ridiculous that a grown man should have to grow a plant in a goddamn plastic tote..."
-Loki

#11 Red Eyed Owl

Red Eyed Owl

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

what you can also do is develop a cycle once your mother gets to a certain size take a cutting ( cut down at least 4 nodes) and root cuttings and then one of the new cuttings becomes the new mother plant and then you can move the previous mother plant and flower it.

are you suggesting to take a clone and make that be the mother as opposed to the plant you took the cuttings from? i would think that a mother made from a cutting would not be as reliable as the plant that it was "removed" from.

I am, but an owl, baring red eyes, in the sky.

#12 Panama Red

Panama Red

Stoner

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:24 PM

Quote:
i would think that a mother made from a cutting would not be as reliable as the plant that it was "removed" from.
Lots of growers do clones of clones of clones instead of keeping a mother. And while many growers keep mothers for years on end, some like to replace them every couple years.
The key is parent selection.
While all clones are genetically identical, they will vary in vigor. Choose only the most vigorous to be parents.

#13 anigav

anigav

Stoner

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • LocationUSA 215

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:44 PM

I used to have more space and a mother but now I have downsized and started a system that has worked well for me. I have a veg and grow section. My grow is a 6 site DWC. I will start from seed and pick the best females to go to the grow area. Once large enough, I will cut 6 clones from each plant and switch the mothers to flower after a couple days. I label the clones so when I see which of the plants in the grow area are doing the best, I know which clones go in to the next rotation. The rest of the clones I give away. After a few cycles, I start a new genetic from seed again. It is kind of the lazy way to have a continuous production system. Not sure if it helps but I hope so.