Silica Supplement

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 UltimateWill

UltimateWill

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:09 PM

I've read in general growing forums of many people giving their plants silica supplements in order to strengthen cell walls. My question is does anyone here use silica, and have they found it to make a difference in their plant; specifically have you found that it helps the plant to support more bud?

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
-Steve Prefontaine

#2 DANKNUG

DANKNUG

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  • Locationthe wicked garden

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

all i know about silica is it causes lung cancer and is dangerous to breath.it causes silicosous, hardening of the lungs. this is only when in dust form and its airborn.

#3 UltimateWill

UltimateWill

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

Well then...I'll be stearing clear of that. Prolly doing enough lung damage as it is rastatoke

-Steve Prefontaine

#4 cali_budz707

cali_budz707

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,410 posts
  • LocationCannafornia, USA

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

works great. i foliar with silica and add it to my nute solution for every feeding. it increases resistance to pests and disease also. i have found that the plants that i give silica to tend to have much thicker stems, which adds more weight in the end. its not neccesary, but it is beneficial. a good one is Pro-Silicate by Grotek or Botanicare, i forget....brain fart. hope this helps.

Finally the herbs come around,
The high grade that me look for,
We stock it by the pound.

#5 cali_budz707

cali_budz707

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

its in liquid form and made for plants, so no damage to you at all, hehehe.

#6 UltimateWill

UltimateWill

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:00 PM

I had just been wondering about a liquid form, thanks alot cali.

-Steve Prefontaine

#7 Organic Soul

Organic Soul

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:18 AM

The best two organic sources of silica I've used are lava rock and diatomite.
Higromite is the biggest "brand name" lava rock I know of and diatomite is generally sold as just diatomite.
The diatomite is availible in several sizes , in powdered and chunk/pebble form.
Both are high in silica and are best added to your mix before planting, the smaller the size/particle the more will be availible.
Both also break down very slowly and will last several grows, making them great additives to those who reuse soil.

Peace

"The greatest weapon of the fascist is the tolerance of the pacifist" - Mike Muir

"The Syndicate does not excist" THE OG Hustler

#8 pharmer d

pharmer d

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • LocationALMOST THERE

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

i use pro silicate in and out.absolute must have as far as im concerned.

#9 cali_budz707

cali_budz707

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

yup yup, you said it pharmer.

#10 DANKNUG

DANKNUG

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  • Locationthe wicked garden

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

isnt perlite made from silica?

#11 cali_budz707

cali_budz707

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

hmm...im not sure, but dont eat the silica packets that you get in your beef jerky!

#12 bongrippinbob

bongrippinbob

Old hand

• Members
  • 982 posts
  • LocationIn The Clouds

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:07 PM

isnt perlite made from silica?

Perlite is basically exploded volcanic rock. They heat it up so fast and so hot that the water inside "explodes" and causes the rock to expand. It comes from siliceous rock but is considered a form of natural glass. There is silica available in small amounts, but not enough to be used as a silica additive.

Anything I say is pure fiction. I don't grow/condone growing pot. All pics posted are from the internet. Plus, I'm a med patient. So get off my back!!

#13 kootenai

kootenai

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:17 AM

I have been using a product called maidenwell for my medium. It is a high silica rock in lieu of hydroton. The roots love it and it seems to stimulate a lot of side branching.
Also, Barricade by AN is a silica supplement that has helped to create hardy outdoor plants resistant to disease and the elements. It also serves as a Ph buffer for Hydro. I will continue to use both

#14 cali_budz707

cali_budz707

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:36 AM

barricade is good, i have also been using Pro-Tekt, and once again i cant remeber the company name hehehe. DynaGrow?DynaTek?derrr.........brain fart.

#15 Genus

Genus

Stoner

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:00 PM

I used that maidenwell grow stuff in my last 3 grows for drainage rocks and its absolutely crazy how the roots love it. I tested a few plants on my last one and mixed the rocks into the soil while still using it for drainage.. Seemed like those plants needed to be watered much less and were very healthy all the same..The heat and bugs didnt seem to do as much damage either.. Didnt see a big difference in bud production but it was very hard to compare with all the different strains and phenotypes..

I thnk they love it. And will try using some liquid silica additives on the next set of ladies..

Only dead fish have their mouth open...

#16 Organic Soul

Organic Soul

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:09 AM

Just so you all know, Maidenwell IS diatomite.
Many companies will simply buy diatomite in bulk , bag it up, and add a "brand" name.

check this-
http://www.importgen...-australia.html

Try to find/buy it without the "name" and save some bucks if you can. There are many places that sell simply bulk diatomite.

On a side note, are ALL of these suppliments mentioned organic??

Peace

"The greatest weapon of the fascist is the tolerance of the pacifist" - Mike Muir

#17 pharmer d

pharmer d

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • LocationALMOST THERE

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:27 AM

HMMmm pro silicate.im not sure if its organic.it works with organics but hmmm.good side note though.probly not eh?damn hydro freaks messin the organic side up hahaha.

#18 akfatman

akfatman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • Locationspace the last frontier

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:00 AM

There are many horticultural silica supplements. The typical ones are made of just a water diluted Potassium silicate, however some use Sodium silicate. In large scale agriculture it is applied as a Calcium Silicate. In horticulture, potassium silicate is used as a soluble source of potassium and silicon. It also makes the growing medium more alkaline. ie. pH up.

For the silica to be availale in horticulture it either needs to be in a very fine powedered form that can be broken down by carbonic acids formed from CO2 or it needs to be in a liquid or gel form. The most commonly available silica in liuid form that is cheap and in bulk is commonly known as "water glass" Na2SiO3. It is sold in solid or liquid form. Obviously for Aero or Hydro use you would want a liquid. It is relatively cheap. So next time you see a product like blast remember it is relatively cheap. About $15.95 for 1 gallon of a 40% mixture, rather than the dilute retail products.
http://www.cqconcept...iumsilicate.php However that would make huge quantities at the dilute concentrates used in indoor growing as sold by retailers. A life time supply for several large growers at least.

Silica comprises the largest percentage of mineral rock on this planet. The most widely known silica is simply quartz rock or small particles of quartz rock referred to as silica sand. Silica is present to some extent in nearly all tap water. Yes there is such a thing as Silicosis. Silicosisis a form of occupational lung disease caused by inhalation of crystalline silica dust, and is marked by inflammation and scarring in forms of nodular lesions in the upper lobes of the lungs. Unless you are a hard rock gold miner working with rock crushers, ball mills or such that reduces gold bearing quartz to dust for gold removal silicosis in not really an issue.

Rocks such as volcanic rock will only contribute silica if they have some crushed powder that will contribiute, otherwise they will break down over hundreds or thousands of years and therefore provide negligible silica to the typical grow. Un rinsed silica sand contains a lot of fine powdered silica and will make a contribution in silica. Rinsed silica sand will be even slower to break down then volcanic rock. The reason silica is so common is that it does not weather chemically very well and therefore just breaks down mechanically (crushed/abraded). Not many chemicals have any effect on silica based glass (ie. borosilicate glass/Pyrex).

Ba da boom!

#19 Organic Soul

Organic Soul

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:15 AM

ORGANIC FORUM.. horticultural does not mean ORGANIC.
More chemical advice?
Miners?Lung problems?

HUH

#20 bongrippinbob

bongrippinbob

Old hand

• Members
  • 982 posts
  • LocationIn The Clouds

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:37 PM

Perlite dust will cause the same problems with lungs and what not if inhaled. Just because something is organic does not mean its not harmful to your health.

Anything I say is pure fiction. I don't grow/condone growing pot. All pics posted are from the internet. Plus, I'm a med patient. So get off my back!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users