• Photo
      25 Jul
    BongAkaDrew

About to attempt my first 4g run of bho :) wish me luck

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      25 Jul
    the_dank_one

nothing pisses me off more to come by and see all my pics have been removed and the threads look like shit now..pointless

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      10 Jul
    ΘℏΙℊℏο ☞

Happy Oil Day! Happy birthday to Tesla, Busch and Orff and me!

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Photo

Sunshine mix #4 troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Awoken

Awoken

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

Alright so like a genius i decided to grow my SOG babies straight in this soil-less mix with no additives what so ever. Buds are forming nicely and im using botanicare pure blend nutes.

The problem is a severe nitrogen deficiency. Leaves are turning yellow all over and dying out in the lower areas.

I went out today and picked up some blood meal as a good additive to correct the problem for the next crop, but im wondering how i could help my babies right now.

Should i pee in a bucket and dilute it with water? If so, how much water should i add to every cup of pee?

Or should i make a blood meal tea (this would take a good week and id like to help them ASAP as my flush should begin soon)?

They are a good way in and 3 weeks before i harvest them. I'd like to give them a nice final boost before i start the flush on the last week.

Thanks in advance!

#2 MtnBerry

MtnBerry

Journeyman

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:42 AM

how much do you water? as this may most likely be your problem. your plants don't need all that much nitrogen to keep the leaves green and healthy but you must water well enough or it will give you the same problems.

do not use a wet dry cycle like many will have you do. this will give you poor results. and many problems.

soil is everything

#3 Rastaman

Rastaman

Old hand

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • LocationBlazing the fire from Israel

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:18 AM

How far are they in flowering? usually the leafs go yellow&die during flowering, the deeper they go into flowering the more they leafs will die, completely natural, maybe some pics?

EDIT: I should really read more carefully, if they are 3 weeks before harvest to me it sounds just like normal yellowing during late flowering, but I'm no expert, again some pics will definitely help.

#4 MtnBerry

MtnBerry

Journeyman

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:36 AM

your leaves should never yellow at any stage of its life with the exeption of flushing, no this is not normal or natural. the only things that make your leaves turn yellow to cream colored is lack of nitrogen or lack of water.

never will you find my plants start loosing leaves. unless one of the two have become a problem.

keep in mind a pot plant can theoreticly live forever if it's enviornment alows it. there for at no point should its health begin to degrade.

soil is everything

#5 dynamic

dynamic

Stranger

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

did this problem happen gradually over time or has it progressed quickly?

if it was a slow progression, then i suggest too weak of a nute dose. but if it happened quickly, then there's something locking it up. who knows. maybe even thrips.
nontheless, if it is a nitrogen deficiency, maybe a fish emulsion solution.

#6 MED HEAD

MED HEAD

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Locationpraries canada

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

I had this problem with sunshine #4 ,I usually use promix but they ran out.I found thrips were infested in the mix never had them tellI used the #4 I found larve and eggs in the medium that wasnt present in my pro mix pots. leaves started turning fellow and falling off. looked at the leaves of the plants in #4 and fuckin scale on the leaves as well as adults thrips sucking the shit out of my plant. I sprayed with neem bombrd with dr. doom . sunshine mix sucks ass

be cool @shine on plant the seed and let it be.
I just listen

#7 Awoken

Awoken

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:43 PM

You guys really needed to read my post more carefully.

This has nothing to do with over watering, this is a very easy drain soil and they're in 3/4th gallon pots so it doesnt take long for the plants to suck the pot dry. At this stage i'm watering every single day.

The problem is that i used no additives to the soil, like blood meal or bat guano. So the soil has 0 nutrient value. The botanicare pure blend ferts are pretty weak and none of the line has sufficient N in these kinds of conditions.

My question was basically just to find out how to give them a good shot of N when i water them without having to change my whole fert schedule so late in flower.

The solution for me was urine. Yeah, my urine heh.
1 part urine to 10 parts water. I had also considered a blood meal tea but the time i needed to wait to let it sit would come too late in the cycle and my flush would be all messed up.

Within the next three days we'll see how well the urine works. Keep y'all posted.

BTW thats a new one for me with the infested sunshine mix. Are you sure you didnt leave it lying around in your grow room? Maybe you just got a bad batch? I havent tried pro mix yet but i might give it a run next grow.

#8 Rastaman

Rastaman

Old hand

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • LocationBlazing the fire from Israel

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:26 PM

MtnBerry, from everything I read&what people have told me during flowering the plant leeches out sugars&nutes from the leafs and redirects them to the buds, during my outdoor crop the exactly same thing happens, a day after I cut the buds down(I allowed it to reveg) the leafs turned back to be green, I've also have seen the same phenomenon on many crops of other people, your saying its simply a lack of N? because I didn't stop giving my grow nutes during flowering, just added a bloom one so really cant see why they would have missed N.

#9 MtnBerry

MtnBerry

Journeyman

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

@awoken, I didn't say overwatering. you seam to be cirtain of the problem. urea should work. just don't over do it. keep them well watered if your not just to be shure it is a N problem.

@Rastaman, no this was a lack of water. your plants don't need too much N to stay green. but they need lots of water. just don't over do it.

also the bigger they get the more water they will need.

soil is everything

#10 Independence

Independence

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,750 posts
  • Location29th parallel

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

You obviously nailed it with the urine dilution.
Quote:
considered a blood meal tea
The nitrogen in blood meal is completely water insoluble. It is bound to the hemoglobin molecule in the red blood cells.
BUT, you will find blood meal a very hot potato in the short term. There is a wicked N release within a few days of application, and then the release plateaus to last for another 6-8 weeks. Whatever amount you were planning on using, I recommend halving it. You can always add more later as a top dressing if necessary.
If you're using it indoors, I recommend adding it to the soil at time of plant/transplant instead of top dressing. It will literally make the grow room smell like shit for several days after application and watering.
Do you have access to alfalfa meal or guanos?