• Photo
      25 Jul
    BongAkaDrew

About to attempt my first 4g run of bho :) wish me luck

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      25 Jul
    the_dank_one

nothing pisses me off more to come by and see all my pics have been removed and the threads look like shit now..pointless

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      10 Jul
    ΘℏΙℊℏο ☞

Happy Oil Day! Happy birthday to Tesla, Busch and Orff and me!

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Photo

how much to water my plants in budding?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 SwiFty14

SwiFty14

Stranger

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:08 AM

well i had 2x 200 watt cfl lights till 2 weeks into budding where i then switched to a 600 watt hps. I have two plants both female, but they want like 2 or 3x as much water since i put the 600 watt light in.

I used to be watering every second day 200 mL of water, on every 3rd watering i would feed them organic nutrients (bc grow + bc bloom). now I have to feed them at least 200 - 250 mL of water everyday or they will start to die.

my question is, is that since they want 2x much water, do I feed them every third watering still? or would that be to much nutrients?

#2 MonkeyButt

MonkeyButt

Stoner

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

How do you know they want more water? What are they doing?

#3 JackNthBeanstalk

JackNthBeanstalk

Journeyman

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:13 AM

my question is, is that since they want 2x much water, do I feed them every third watering still? or would that be to much nutrients?

Some pertinent info is missing, but the short answer is yes, every 2nd or 3rd watering will be fine. Will it be too much nutrients?.. no, shouldn't be if you're using the appropriate nute load.
---------------------------------------------------------
Water and nutrient uptake will naturally increase with the plants age.

As far as switching to the HID and having to water everyday.. could be that your medium doesn't retain enough water, could be a temp and/or humidity issue, or they could be getting rootbound.
I'm just throwing that out there, so don't freak out. LOL

If it's just the medium, than it's no problem -unless you don't like watering so often- in that case, just amend your medium with something that retains water well.
----------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted By: MonkeyButt
How do you know they want more water? What are they doing?

He's probably describing "wilting"
Originally Posted By: SwiFty14
now I have to feed them at least 200 - 250 mL of water everyday or they will start to die.

#4 MonkeyButt

MonkeyButt

Stoner

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

[quote name="JackNthBeanstalk"]
[quote=MonkeyButt]How do you know they want more water? What are they doing? [/quote]

He's probably describing "wilting"

Wilting comes from extreme drought. I was thinking more of drooping.

And it's hard for marijuana plants to become root bound. They do require more water but I have seen 6ft plants in 1 gallon pots before.

#5 UltimateWill

UltimateWill

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:15 AM

I always under the impression and have seen as such that multiple transplants are necessary for a healthy mmj plant. If it is root bound there should be a twisting of your mainstem. If it doesnt show any twisting its just the plant trying to give you the best smoke it can rastatoke How close is your hps to the plants?

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
-Steve Prefontaine

#6 MonkeyButt

MonkeyButt

Stoner

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

I always under the impression and have seen as such that multiple transplants are necessary for a healthy mmj plant. If it is root bound there should be a twisting of your mainstem. If it doesnt show any twisting its just the plant trying to give you the best smoke it can rastatoke How close is your hps to the plants?

Transplants stress plants, the fewer the better.

#7 UltimateWill

UltimateWill

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

Transplanting also creates a much more efficient rootball. Not to mention, transplanting can create very little stress if done correctly. I agree that you can go overboard with transplants; three repots is usually the best way to go imo.
And in regards to 6ft plants in a 1 gallon pot, im guessing they trimmed the roots? Or were they autoprunners?

-Steve Prefontaine

#8 MonkeyButt

MonkeyButt

Stoner

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

Transplanting also creates a much more efficient rootball. Not to mention, transplanting can create very little stress if done correctly. I agree that you can go overboard with transplants; three repots is usually the best way to go imo.
And in regards to 6ft plants in a 1 gallon pot, im guessing they trimmed the roots? Or were they autoprunners?

No they did not trim the roots. Smaller pots means you have to water more. This goes back to another thread concerning how much someone should water their plants. If you wait until the soil is dry the roots will stretch and grow looking for water. If you water a lot they will not. Take that rule and it applies to small pots also. As long as you water more the roots and the plant will get enough water and they will not grow. Bigger pots less watering, smaller pots more watering.

I transplant once. From the cup the seedlings are grown to veg (3-4 weeks) to a 3 gallon pot (to maturity).

#9 UltimateWill

UltimateWill

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

I guess it just comes down to us doing stuff differently pothead

-Steve Prefontaine

#10 UltimateWill

UltimateWill

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:02 AM

It could also be sodium stress now that i think about it. If you are using tap with a high ppm it can cause roots to dry up in spite of copious amounts of water.

-Steve Prefontaine

#11 SwiFty14

SwiFty14

Stranger

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

Well guys, this is my first grow. I learned a lot before I started, but even more as I went threw.

I know they need water because the leaves will start to fall down, sort of droop. Soon as I seen that I checked the soil, it was a little dry on top, so I would put a little bit of water in (100 mL). After about 1.5 - 2 hours, the leaves were right back up and perfect again. So thats how I learned when they need water. Since i found that out, I watered them 200 mL per day and since then they've been good.

The HPS is approx 3 feet above the plants. Any lower and the leaves were literally burning up.

The nutrients used were all properly prepared in a 2L water. I asked the guy at the local grow shop to explain the feeding instructions to me and he told me everything i needed to know about feeding, and things to watch out for.

I took some pics yesterday of my plants. For a first grow, I think they are doing amazing, especially since they veg'ed on 2x 200 watt cfl lights. The one on the left is budding slower then the one on the right. Heres a few pics. One of both plants, and the other two are the top of the plant on the right.

http://img194.images...3/p1010141q.jpg

http://img244.images...33/p1010147.jpg

http://img66.imagesh...17/p1010148.jpg

#12 MonkeyButt

MonkeyButt

Stoner

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

Well guys, this is my first grow. I learned a lot before I started, but even more as I went threw.

I know they need water because the leaves will start to fall down, sort of droop. Soon as I seen that I checked the soil, it was a little dry on top, so I would put a little bit of water in (100 mL). After about 1.5 - 2 hours, the leaves were right back up and perfect again. So thats how I learned when they need water. Since i found that out, I watered them 200 mL per day and since then they've been good.

You'll continue to learn, even on your 20th grow. smile

Yes the droop is what you look for. My bet is that the roots are growing and wanting more water. Just watch her and she'll tell you what she needs.......

#13 5tikman

5tikman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Locationnor cal

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:21 PM

What size pots are they in? Are you watering until you get 10-20% runoff. Seems like such a small amount of water unless they are in tiny pots.

edit: just saw the pics. You need to be giving them way more water. 200mL = about a cup. By the looks of the pic you could probably split a gallon between the 2. Next watering I would water until you get a good amount of runoff.

#14 SwiFty14

SwiFty14

Stranger

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

Sweet. Thanks for all the advice guys. The past few days i've actually given them approx 250 - 300 mL per day, but not all at once. Today I gave them around the same. Tomorrow i'm feeding them with 200 mL of nutrients them going to give them another 100 mL of regular water. Thats for each plant btw, not total water.

#15 jh_blazin

jh_blazin

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationFlorida U.S.A.

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:06 PM

I agree with 5tikman, you should try using way more than just one cup of water per plant. A gallon will probably be fine to split between them. What size pots?

If you don't like my fire, Then don't come around, 'cause I'm gonna burn one down! -Ben Harper

#16 JackNthBeanstalk

JackNthBeanstalk

Journeyman

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

Noobs..
instead of trying to play semantics and prove me wrong to look like you know what your talking about, why didnt you actually give some causes and solutions to the problem, like myself and others?..

..Why? Because your still a noob and you're in here giving half assed advice to problems that you have obviously not encountered before.
I was giving him reasons as to why the medium could be drying up so fast, I wasn't telling him his plants were rootbound.
Rootbound plants require frequent waterings, I know this from experience with bonsai mothers and fathers as well as flowering in pots as small as 16 oz cups. Fortunately, I teach from experience, not what I see or read on the internet.

And it's hard for marijuana plants to become root bound. They do require more water but I have seen 6ft plants in 1 gallon pots before.

Yeah 6 feet of stretched nodes in a 1 gallon pot, so what? Shit yields, and they were probably clones.

Useless, unless doing a sog, and even then the height is ridiculous. A plant that tall in a 1gal. will have hardly any side branching, and only the top 2-3 feet is gonna have bud on it. And the plant is technically rootbound at that height with such a small root mass. Or do you want me to say the roots are "cramped"?
----------------------------------------------

Swifty, just saturate the whole pot, and water again when the soil becomes somewhat "dry"
Look at some FAQS on watering.

Overwatering is watering too frequently, not watering too much at once.

ie.. depending on the medium, watering a 5 gallon pot with 50 gallons of water won't hurt, as long as you let the medium dry up some before giving it another 50 gallons.

50 gals. is drastic but I'm just trying to make the point.

Good luck bro.

#17 UltimateWill

UltimateWill

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:57 PM

I'm pretty sure most of the info I provided is correct and would have all been plausible causes, so I don't see how that could make me a noob. Unless you weren't even talking to me in that case. My bad guess i'm just a litte paranoid atm pass

-Steve Prefontaine

#18 MonkeyButt

MonkeyButt

Stoner

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:51 AM

Noobs..
instead of trying to play semantics and prove me wrong to look like you know what your talking about, why didnt you actually give some causes and solutions to the problem, like myself and others?..

..Why? Because your still a noob and you're in here giving half assed advice to problems that you have obviously not encountered before.
I was giving him reasons as to why the medium could be drying up so fast, I wasn't telling him his plants were rootbound.
Rootbound plants require frequent waterings, I know this from experience with bonsai mothers and fathers as well as flowering in pots as small as 16 oz cups. Fortunately, I teach from experience, not what I see or read on the internet.

Yeah 6 feet of stretched nodes in a 1 gallon pot, so what? Shit yields, and they were probably clones.

Useless, unless doing a sog, and even then the height is ridiculous. A plant that tall in a 1gal. will have hardly any side branching, and only the top 2-3 feet is gonna have bud on it. And the plant is technically rootbound at that height with such a small root mass. Or do you want me to say the roots are "cramped"?

Swifty, just saturate the whole pot, and water again when the soil becomes somewhat "dry"

ie.. depending on the medium, watering a 5 gallon pot with 50 gallons of water won't hurt, as long as you let the medium dry up some before giving it another 50 gallons.

Good luck bro.

Chill the fuck out dude. I never called you a "noob". Get your shit straight. You've been here for 2 years and posted 40 times. I don't really understand how much educating you do.

I responded with an answer and the person can take what they want from it. You are just showing how much of a dick you are. Great job at that.

Again, root bound marijuana is a myth. They provide just as goo yields. That's MY opinion so deal with it.

You talked about wilting as if this guy leaves his plants for days without watering them. Obviously he doesn't so why even bring it up? Just so you can provide too much info and confuse somebody just so you can feel like you know it all?

#19 anothertime

anothertime

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: JackNthBeanstalk
Noobs..

Good luck bro.

Chill the fuck out dude. I never called you a "noob". Get your shit straight. You've been here for 2 years and posted 40 times. I don't really understand how much educating you do.

I responded with an answer and the person can take what they want from it. You are just showing how much of a dick you are. Great job at that.

Again, root bound marijuana is a myth. They provide just as goo yields. That's MY opinion so deal with it.

You talked about wilting as if this guy leaves his plants for days without watering them. Obviously he doesn't so why even bring it up? Just so you can provide too much info and confuse somebody just so you can feel like you know it all?

pics of your grow please,im 60 years of age been growing for near 20 years(indoors) and ill tell you rhat root bound plants do not produce as well as those that dont!!!!!also while on the subject transplanting doesnt impair grow if done at the right stages,it does slow grow a touch but not much.also id like to see a 6 foot plant in a one gallon bucket,unless you only have a stem the dang thing would topple over!!! lol

#20 Nature Boy

Nature Boy

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • LocationOn the planets skin.

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

It would topple muhahahah

Earthworm excreta, nature’s most remarkable form of bio-fertilizer and bio-pest control agent.