Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thenewguy05

cannabis culture magazine shutting down?

Quote:
Monday, March 23, 2009

Cannabis Culture magazine to go online only

According to Marc Emery's facebook status, Cannabis Culture, the pre-eminent libertarian marijuana-focused magazine, will follow the Western Standard and shut off its printing presses in favour of an online-only publication.

Here is his status, as well as his comments on the status thread:

"Marc Scott Emery has decided to no longer publish Cannabis Culture Magazine on paper because each issues loses about $40,000 and advertising & circulation is falling off."

I'm not that sad. The store has to sell so much to pay for the losses every issue. We printed 62,000 of issue #73. Then Anderson News went out of business. They handle 25% of our magazines. Because they went under last month, our distributor ordered 9,000 less for #75 and the distribution will be chaotic and our sales on newstands will be much lower, raising losses even more. Of the 62,000 printed, 38,000 sold, meaning 24,000 got destroyed each issue. Now our potential sales would drop to 30,000 - 35,000. The circulation revenue for that is a disappointing $38,000 per issue. Advertising is only providing $30,000 per issue. It costs $56,000 to print 62,000, another $10,000 to ship to distributors, stores and subscribers. Those costs are covered by revenue, but the cost of producing the magazine is $16,000 for material (writers and photographers), $32,000 to produce the magazine, $4,000 an issue in promotion, posters, cards, and much more. Losses are approx. $42,000 to $55,000 per issue...

And magazines don't have the impact they once did. All information is available faster and free online. If we put the effort into our online presence, we can raise revenue there and lose much less and be more efficient and competitive with information. We are always being quoted, but the quotes come from our online web material, our videos, movies, TV interviews and multi-media. Our magazine is rarely quoted because people had difficulty finding it, the media don't quote magazines anymore and our feedback has dropped from readers...

So our energy is being put into a revamped online presence. Our cannabisculture.com got 24 million hits last month from 300,000 individuals so thats where we should put all this effort. And that's the future for all magazines and newspapers. Many magazines you are currently familiar with will go out of business by the end of the year, including The National Post, Sports Illustrated, Maxim, and so many others. Check out the latest Sports Illustatred, it has only 10.5 pages of advertising in the entire issue. Time Magazine has only 8 pages of advertising. It will save alot of trees but many forestry workers and pulp mill workers will be laid off permanently...

Unfortunately, subscriptions never made money, and we never had more than 1,400 at any one time. Each magazine cost about $2 each to produce, plus 60 cents to ship in Canada, $1.50 to ship to USA, $3.00 abroad. Envelopes and packing took another 25 cents per issue. Then we sent a free copy to all Canadian MPs and Senators, and a copy to all newspapers in Canada and many in the USA, which was all cost and no revenue...

Ultimately, all subscribers will get goods they want or their money refunded.

This is a shame. Cannabis Culture was much loved amongst those of us who believe in liberty, and think the war on drugs is a disaster.

Yes, it's true.

We just found out about it yesterday. We are preparing our own article about it to share online here.

I apologize that people are upset about hearing from other sources first, but news travels fast -- faster than we could prepare a statement.

Our online presence is going to be MUCH improved and expanded, with regular articles and contributions from people just the same way that the printed magazine shared.

Stay tuned to the front page of the website for the official announcement.

Sad to hear for sure. At least my last issue for subscription will be the last printed issue ever...

I read in the other post about possible PDF versions of future issues and going in that direction. If they are kept in the magazine format (with front cover, etc.), I think that would be great.

You could embed so much in the electronic versions, like certain graphics effects, as well as videos. It would be cool to click a image in an article (or whatever else) only to have it come alive and show a video or something.

very sad day. my boys over at breedbay are feelin' the sadness too. this is one of the 3 magazines i would even associate with.

thanx for printing my pix in 69, i never had a more proud moment in my life then the day i saw my pix in there. i've been reading this magazine since i was in middle school 1999. CC will be with me forever. i hope your online publication goes better than the one heads attempted to do. ~TheNewGuy

Because of this, I will not be renewing my subscription. I know others who subscribe to CC who do not have a computer, they will be very dissapointed. I don't think it's a good idea to stop printing a magazine. Instead, there should be an option, printed, or online.

I know for sure I won't be putting a computer in the bathroom so I have some throne reading material. Instead I think I'll get a subscription to High Times. brickwall.gif

I'm definitely disappointed with the news but also understand as this is something that isn't just happening to CC. Many main stream newspapers have significant problems and a couple have recently gone strictly on line as well. I have to wonder what this will do, in general and not just to our community, to documenting and archiving events for future generations.

Maybe it's time for a time capsule with the last print issue of CC to go inside.....or one of each issue....a few seeds from a important strains....papers.....pipes and bongs.......a mirror of the website.....

what else would be appropriate??

Quote:
Yes, it's true.

i look forward to my subscription to arrive in the mail. i will look forward to the website version. business is business. you all put out a great magazine, the best in the world.

great articles, awesome photographs of cannabis, world news, election information, growing help, ask ed, and the lovely ladies of Cannabis Culture.

heck, the list of reasons why i like Cannabis Culture could fill volumes.

thanks jodie and marc for your work and dedication to the magazine and the marijuana cause.

-blue skies

Every time I hear of a magazine going totally online it makes me think about the end of the world. When the EMP hits and all power goes away so will your subscriptions! Now THAT is truly the end of times. ;\)

A message from Publisher and Editor-In-Chief Marc Emery

March 25th, 2009

I have decided to cease publication of Cannabis Culture Magazine's print version and move to an entirely online format. Magazine advertising and circulation are predicted to fall off in the near future and matters will get worse if I continue to print a paper edition.

We printed 62,000 copies of issue #73. Soon afterward, magazine distributor Anderson News – who handles 25% (about 12,500) of our magazines that go to newsstands – went out of business. This was terrible news for all magazines, as Anderson News was one of the largest publication distributors in North America. That news led to our main distributor, Disticor, ordering 9,000 fewer copies of #75 (had we printed it), meaning our immediate future sales on newsstands would have been severely reduced. Ultimately, each issue lost about $35,000 to $45,000, and my “Cannabis Culture Headquarters” store in Vancouver, BC was forced to pay for the losses. That was an unsustainable burden we cannot afford going into the future.

Cannabis Culture Magazine began as the Marijuana & Hemp Newsletter (then called Cannabis Canada, then renamed Cannabis Culture) in 1994, the year the World-Wide Web debuted. In those days, all information about marijuana, hemp and our culture was available only in the monthly High Times Magazine and nothing else. We were the first web site (HempBC.com) in the world about cannabis, appearing in November 1994, and in January 2000, we began the very first cannabis video streaming website (www.Pot.tv) online. Now there are thousands of websites devoted to cannabis information, photography, commentary, grow information, and political news on an hourly or daily basis. Our magazine, appearing once every 8 weeks, simply cannot stay abreast of current events and the modern-day demand for immediate news and material. Our organizations are often being quoted, but the references are from our online material and archives, videos, movies, TV interviews and other multi-media. At the same time, feedback has dropped from readers and the effort to produce a print copy of CC Magazine required enormous manpower and a small Canadian forest for each issue.

The future of all print media is bleak. Many magazines and newspapers could go out of business by the end of the year, including The National Post, Sports Illustrated, Maxim, and many others. Check out the latest Sports Illustrated; it has only 10.5 pages of advertising in the entire issue. Time Magazine has only 8 pages of advertising. Magazines rely on advertising, and as the economy worsens, companies are not able to afford ads like they used to. The digital age is truly the future. Magazines don't have nearly the impact they once did, because all information is available faster and free online. Our http://www.CannabisCulture.com website gets a huge number of visitors and readers – much more than the magazine ever did – so that’s where we will put all of our effort. It’s clear that printed media is no longer sustainable or effective. If we focus on our online presence, we can raise revenue and be more efficient and competitive with information. We will continue our pioneering ways by taking advantage of our Pot-TV video capabilities and our extensive contacts and reputation around the world.

Here’s a breakdown of CC Magazine’s unsustainable costs. Of the 62,000 printed for #73, only 35,000 sold, meaning 27,000 got destroyed (which is typical with magazines, but very environmentally unfriendly). Now, with chaos in our distribution system, our potential sales would drop to under 30,000. The circulation revenue for that is a disappointing $44,000 per issue; advertising revenue is only providing $30,000 per issue, but it costs $64,000 to print 62,000 copies. It’s another $10,000 to ship to distributors, stores and subscribers. Those costs are covered by revenue from all sources, but the cost of producing the magazine is approximately $16,000 for material (writers and photographers), $32,000 for the staff of six people who work in 8-week cycles to produce the magazine, $4,000 an issue in promotion, posters, subscription cards, and much more that were not covered by revenue the magazine generated. Subscriptions never made money, and we never had more than 1,400 subscribers at any one time. Each magazine cost about $2 each to produce, plus 60 cents to ship in Canada, $1.50 to ship to USA, $3.00 abroad. Envelopes and packing took another 25 cents per issue.

This huge cost of producing CC Magazine has meant our retail stores and mail order have had to pour $20,000 into the magazine each month for the past 3.5 years – ever since the Marc Emery Direct Seed catalog was canceled from CC Magazine in July 2005 after the US Drug Enforcement Administration raided my seed business and set me up for extradition to the US (please see http://www.NoExtradition.net if you don’t know this story, and to help me fight to stay in my home country Canada). When I had the seed business, I paid $35,000 for my 12-page catalog to appear in each issue. In those days, CC Magazine had 20 pages of additional advertising that produced $30,000, so combined, advertising generated $65,000 per issue. We’re done our best to keep CC Magazine alive, but it has been a growing revenue drain.

All subscribers will get a credit in the mail worth 25% more value than what we owe you for the remainder of your subscription. The credit is redeemable for merchandise from the CC Mail Order catalogue, CC online store (www.CannabisCulture.com/store) or in our CCHQ store (307 West Hastings Street, Vancouver BC, 604-682-1172). If there is no merchandise you would like to receive, then we will reimburse your remaining subscription money.

I am extremely proud of our 15 years of publishing Cannabis Culture in print. Our activist publication inspired so many people, and did numerous good things for the movement. We will continue to devote our time to changing the world and ending the war on drugs. Our Cannabis Culture and Pot-TV websites, the CCHQ retail store, the BC Marijuana Party, and CC’s online mail order will all continue – and they will be able to do even more now that CC Magazine’s losses won’t be subsidized. It is the end of an era, and I know many readers will miss CC Magazine, but it’s also a new beginning. I hope you join us on our journey into the future.

Thank you for your support over the years.

Marc Scott Emery

Cannabis Culture Magazine

307 West Hastings Street

Vancouver BC, V6B 1H6, Canada

http://www.CannabisCulture.com

(604) 669-9069 / (604) 689-0590

fucking econemy

For the online format... will this be online book? webpage? ebook?

Whatever it is, I want HI-RESOLUTION shots! Hope it turns out to be fucking awesome.

While it is sad to see the one magazine I love being dissolved after such a successful journey, not all is bad. If Marc was to continue to sink money into the magazine, where would his organizations be in a few years? Exactly, closed! As stated in a post above, business is business. I would certainly rather see the magazine go than see Marc and Jodie as well as other employees lose their jobs because of trying to keep a magazine in circulation.

I have always found the website very easy to navigate and stuffed with knowledge. Beside, the advantage is we do not have to wait for mail to come, simply turn on your computer. Peace and Pot

Originally Posted By: 2Supra4U
If they are kept in the magazine format (with front cover, etc.), I think that would be great.

You could embed so much in the electronic versions, like certain graphics effects, as well as videos. It would be cool to click a image in an article (or whatever else) only to have it come alive and show a video or something.

I can't believe this has happened, and its a sad day. Anyway, these ideas are almost making me optimistic. This would be the shit- almost cooler than the mag itself, and it would be one of a kind. Videos, hi-res pics, maybe a comment feature, or polls?

Will we still see different sections, like Ask Ed, Pot Puzzlers, etc?

Will we have to pay to subscribe?

What about all the folks walking around with CC tats expecting their lifetime subscription? grin.gif

Yeah it would be great to have a consistent monthly line up of shows, like POT TV NEWS< and without the Magazine, maybe Marc could be a regular "editorial" commentary on the articles discussed in the POT TV NEWS?