• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 matamus

matamus

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Locationpuerto rico

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:25 PM

I wondering if anyone out there has come up with a homemade light mover or anything. I am just considering buying the driver motor and making my own track 180 dolla seems a bit to steep for me especially when they hardest part is just the motor looks like you could make the rail pretty easily at home. Is there anything special on the end of the rail that makes the motor return to the other side like a switch or anything.
Thanks
Peace And Pot
Green Guru

Peace & Pot
Green Guru
Dutch Triple W's WEED, WHEELS, AND WINDMILLS!!

#2 Rebel Dawg

Rebel Dawg

Super Stoner

• Members
  • 4,616 posts
  • LocationMedical grow in USA

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:41 AM

all it takes is nut to make it turn back, when it hits it it goes the other way.

Respect Few Fear None
Trust No One
Smoke all the bud you can because tommorrow you might die.

#3 GanjaGeoff

GanjaGeoff

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

yeah, im not sure how the nut thing works but most likely just a push button switch at both sides to flip the polarity. i've been toying with the idea awhile myself, servocity.com has some descent geared motor setups and two way speed controllers and basically anything you could need, if you wanted to go the simple more expensive way, past that, basic electronics and mechanical knowledge can get it done

#4 matamus

matamus

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Locationpuerto rico

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hmmmm interesting. I think I can make one of these pretty easily, now that I know it needs a switch at each end to turn it around, the only hard thing will be wiring the damn thing I HATE wiring. I will Def post some pictures of it when i get it going right now im working on my new grow area. I found an awesome idea how to stick up maylar and B&W Poly use 3M multipurpose spray adheasive it works so well only bad thing is once its on there it stays so trying to make it smooth is hard as hell. I wanted to build a light mover for my new room it is 8'x 4'x 8' i have one 1000 w hps and a 600w mh in there right now, to bad it is empty. soon it will be full of good clean MED MJ. Thanks for the info guys.
peace & pot
green guru

Peace & Pot
Green Guru

#5 GanjaGeoff

GanjaGeoff

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:25 AM

http://www.dharmanit...pwm-method.html

there's a small example of the logic involved and the motor controlling, my biggest hickup is matching the motor i need to what i need it for, any help anyone can offer on this? i think these things are horribly overpriced too, would be awesome if we could get a working tutorial put together for building one \:\)

more light area = more beautiful bud footage

#6 AdamH420

AdamH420

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

Just don't model it after a hydrofarm light mover - things are a joke. Never saw one make it over 6mo use

bong

#7 GanjaGeoff

GanjaGeoff

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:56 AM

are the hydrofarm movers the ones you find most places? I'll take a stab at saying they just overshoot their weight limit and burn the motors up, Ive heard bad things about their wire hanging also, or lack thereof maybe, could be a contributing factor to the motors being junked

#8 AdamH420

AdamH420

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

imo lightrail is the dominant (and best) light mover out there.

I've seen a few broken suntwists, and tons of hydrofarms.

The hydrofarm is a clunky wierd chaindrive type thing, it's cheap, and a piece of crap.

bong

#9 GanjaGeoff

GanjaGeoff

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

lol, I thought about using the track from a garage door, not necessarily the whole frickin thing hah.

if you're interested in this though maramus, your first read will be what apparently hydrofarm should have read

http://www.gearseds....s of Motors.pdf

required torque and things like that

#10 matamus

matamus

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Locationpuerto rico

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:22 AM

I was actually thinking about just buying the lightrail motor the 10 RPM and just building the components . such as the rail, that thing can be made for under 30 dollars just might need a welder, or some way to attach it. If we could get someone to give us some measurements on how wide the carrying rail is for the lightrail motor and then it would be pretty simple, and some bigger pictures of the motor, im having trouble finding something even close to similar. you could also im sure find a different motor from another location, I would just buy the biggest (within reason you don't need one that will carry 100lbs) motor they had so you would know you don't over exceed you weight limitations. 200 dollars is way to high for something that consists of a rail and a drive motor and a couple of reverse switches to make it go back and forth. I will keep looking but if all else fails I'm going to just buy the 10 RPM replacement motor for the lightrail 3.5, or has anyone heard about their duriability.

Peace & Pot
Green Guru

#11 matamus

matamus

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Locationpuerto rico

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

I found a big picture of all of the components and the motor is just a small rpm motor with basically a small rubber tire or whatever you want to call it and a time deley. all mounted in a case. well just check this link you will see a picture will all the parts and click to enlarge its got everything http://www.horticult...bf561ced54729fa

Peace & Pot
Green Guru

#12 matamus

matamus

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Locationpuerto rico

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

Yo GanjaGeoff,
I forgot to look at that site servocity.com yesterday and just got done looking at it and found the perfect motors. http://servocity.com...tors__12v_.html i think either the 8 or 12 RPM's would do, the case that olds the motor will really be the only hard part to build.

Peace & Pot
Green Guru

#13 GanjaGeoff

GanjaGeoff

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

ah, time delay.. slackers, for 160, i want infrared dammit hah, the price is what worries me about that motor, still need to do some study shit but want to make sure the $23 motors i'm looking at will handle the weight. should just gut my nephews monster truck and see if tyco makes good light movers o_0 woot

#14 indica44

indica44

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

running a lightrail 3.5 for 4 to 5 years with no problems and loving it.

#15 Awoken

Awoken

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

What a great idea. I was considering a light rail for my next grow but the Light Rail 10RPM "smart drive" or whatever they call it goes for $350 tax in. With the schematics you guys came up with, you can build one for like $80 with DIY wiring.

#16 McLovin'

McLovin'

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,543 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

damn shipping must be a bitch cuz BG Hydro has the whole package and 10 rpm Intelli Drive motor for 190

http://www.bghydro.c...c=HLLMLR352&eq=

#17 indica44

indica44

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

It is well worth it get one

#18 pharmer d

pharmer d

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • LocationALMOST THERE

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

light movers for the preflowers.keeps the girls all uniform for the bloom.clothes peggs on either end to switch the mover.been using them for ever.don't remember the make but they have never failed.peace

#19 rmtiger

rmtiger

Stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:09 AM

I just bought a couple of hydrofarm light movers. I put a radiant 8 on them and they both broke. pretty sure that i burned the motor. I was wondering if i could replace the motor with one of those from servocity.com. One that could handle 30-40 pounds. sucks that these light movers can not handle 24.6 pounds(radiant 8). thanks in advance for any help.

#20 Sir.Ganga

Sir.Ganga

GOOYGURU

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

Had them, used them, garbaged them. Nothing but problems. IMO...buy an extra light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users