• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

Can anyone tell me the uses of Gibberillick acid, when do you apply, what rate for what effect, how often to apply for different effects, etc etc etc
I plan on using it to turn a few female Lowryder #2 plants to males and hope the seeds I get are 100% female. Has anyone heard of this before, and any idea where I could find information on it online, info that would be useful to figure out application strengths and rates

This is something I( found on a site I could order it from:
Gibberellic acid was first discovered in Japan in 1935 as a result of the study of a condition common in rice plants called "foolish seedling" disease, which caused the plants to grow much taller than normal. The effects of gibberellins weren't widely understood until years later. Gibberellic acid, GA3 is a naturally occurring plant hormone that regulates the growth of plants, including triggering seed germination. Gibberellic Acid is not manufactured; it's a natural product extracted from the Gibberella fujikuroi fungus. There are over 100 known forms of gibberellic acid; GA3 is the most effective.

Seeds of many plant species require exposure to low or high temperature within a certain period before they will germinate. This process is called thermal stratification. Alternatively, the hormone gibberelline can be used to break such dormancy.

Alcohol soluble GA3 Powder 90% is the most economical form of Gibberellic acid. It is soluble in 70% common rubbing alcohol. Before it can be used is must be turned into a liquid. The amount of Gibberellic acid that needs to be used is very small. Drop the correct amount of powder in a small bottle, then add a few drops of rubbing alcohol. The only reason to use alcohol is to dilute the Gibberellic acid powder. Use just enough alcohol to wet the gibberellic acid powder. If after a couple of minutes you can still see some powder add a few more drops of alcohol. Then just add water to get he right concentration. It is often being said that alcohol will damage plants. Yes, but not in the very low concentration needed to dissolve Gibberellic acid. 90% GA3 powder will not dissolve in water. Once mixed it loses viability within a week, even if refrigerated.

You don't need much of the solution to soak your seeds, just enough for the seeds to fully swell. Most seeds can be soaked in the small poly-bags. Tiny seeds should be folded up in a filter paper for ease of handling when soaking. Larger seeds can be soaked in a pill bottle or small jar.

To know the concentration, replace X and Y, (X mg / Yml) x 1000 = Z ppm
To know the amount of solution to make to get a certain ppm, replace X and Z, (X mg / Z ppm) x 1000 = Y ml
To know the quantity of powder to use, replace Z and Y, (Z ppm x Y ml) / 1000 = X mg

For exemple: 100mg of GA3 in 200ml of water gives you 200ml at 500 ppm (part per million). 100mg of GA3 in 400ml of water gives you 400ml at 250 ppm. 1g of GA3 at 90% concentration will be supplied as a powder in a small ziplock bag, sufficient quantity to make a 2 liters of solution at 500 ppm. You should have enough for a couple of years.

Use strong solution, 500 ppm, on very hard to germinate seeds; and a 250 ppm on seeds that are just hard or slow to start. Seeds enclosed in a hard coat may be submit to a higher concentration, 750-1000 ppm. You can scarify the seeds at first. Soak seeds for 24 hours and at most three days for the ones enclosed in a hard coat. Keep the seeds at room temperature with occasional careful shaking. The seeds may then be sown. Don't use it on easy to start seeds unless you dilute it greatly, like 25-100 ppm, and soak them only for 2-3 hours. Normal, easy-to-sprout seeds will become very elongated and stretched out, then die if GA3 is used on them. Concentrations of about 2 ppm can cause tubers to sprout earlier.

Gibberellic acid can also influence the timing of flowering, flower gender, flower size and increase the number of flowers. If a plant is sufficiently developed, premature flowering may be induced by direct application of GA3 to young plants. Formation of male flowers is generally promoted by concentrations of 10 to 200 ppm, female flowers by concentrations of 200 to 300 ppm. You may have an increase in the number of flowers by direct application of GA3 to young plants, at 25 ppm.

When there is difficulty with fruit set because of incomplete pollination, GA3 may be effectively used to increase fruit set. The resulting fruit maybe partially or entirely seedless.

GA3 applied near the terminal bud of trees may increase the rate of growth by stimulating more or less constant growth during the season. Since GA3 regulates growth, applications of very low concentrations can have a profound effect while too much will have the opposite effect.

Although GA3 is not listed as a poison, the following precautions should be observed. Flush with water any GA3 that may get into the eye. Avoid skin contact if possible and wash away any contact with soap and water. Avoid ingestion of GA3.

#2 Sherio88

Sherio88

Stoner

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationIn the Loo

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

I don't know a whole lot on Gibberllin. I teach a lab where students can use different hormones on seeds and plants to see what they do though. The Gibberellic acid tends to make the seeds pop sooner (we use Wisconsin fast plants <i>Brasica rapa</i>) but it also tends to make the seedlings stretch a bit. I have no idea what does to use and would suggest trying it out yourself to see what it does.

#3 ghetto gardner

ghetto gardner

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Locationdeep south

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

Gibberellic-acid method...It is unsafe to consume any plant treated with gibberellic acid...so no smokey da buds
2 weeks before you put into 12/12 to flower, spray the plant from 2 feet away. The plant is sprayed first under the leaves, then on top of the leaves. Two weeks later, spray the plant one more time in the exact same way, and then place it in 12 hours of light. The treated plant doesn't produce as many flowers or as much male pollen as a pure male, so you get fewer seeds. These seeds are 100% female and will not produce hermaphrodites..this method is using dynogen super plant spray...hope this helps you out

together we stand.......divided we fall

#4 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for the post, im doing this with an autoflower variety and will be keeping them under 20-4 light period. I was planning on spraying them when they start to show the first signs of flowrs at about 3 up to 4 wks. I will see if I can find some of the "Dynogen super plant spray" and try it on one plant. I will post results of my trials and its errors.

#5 mwmba

mwmba

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationStonerburgh

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:35 AM

Quote:
Gibberellic-acid method...It is unsafe to consume any plant treated with gibberellic acid...so no smokey da buds

Could you be confusing gibberellic acid with colchicine?
Gibberellic acid is a hormone produced naturally by every plant on earth. The effects of the spray are often not evident for several days to a couple weeks after the event and GA is biodegraded within several days to a week.
It's unlikely that someone would be exposed to toxic levels by consuming sprayed buds given that it is rated as a category 1 health hazard - "slight" causing minimal skin, eye, and respiratory irritation, and has a LD50 of > 5,000mg/kg.

Colchicine, on the other hand, is rated as a category 4 health hazard - "severe" causing extreme skin irritation (blisters), extreme respiratory irritation, blindness, even death. And the LD50 is 6mg/kg
It's used most often in Cannabis breeding as a seed drench to induce polyploidism (more than one complete set of chromosomes).
 Quote:
The treated plant doesn't produce as many flowers or as much male pollen as a pure male, so you get fewer seeds. These seeds are 100% female and will not produce hermaphrodites..

This is a common misinterpretation.
You have induced a female plant to produce male flowers. That is the very definition of hermaphroditism. Whether the plant continues to produce both female and male flowers, or the male flowers begin to dominate, the male flowers are still genetically hermaphroditic.
The pollen they produce is also hermaphroditic. It is not as important from a sex chromosome standpoint as it is from the standpoint that the gene sequence for hermie expression has been activated and will be passed on to the progeny.
Since there are no strictly male genes in the pool, the progeny can only be female or hermie.

The same is true when you manipulate the sexual expression of male plants. Male knock-down agents such as ReverseĀ® will persuade male plants to express female sex, and with continued application pretty much all male sexual expression can be suppressed. Again, these female flowers originated from the activation of a gene sequence causing hermie expression, so genetically they are hermie, not female, and the hermie tendency will be passed. But from a hardwired sex chromosme point of view the progeny of this union will be largely male and hermie.

The frequency may be as low as 1 in a thousand or 1 in a couple thousand, but it isn't zero. If you haven't seen any hermies, you just haven't seen enough plants yet.

Final sexual expression in Cannabis is a lot more complicated than possessing an X or Y chromosome. See Appendix III "Sex Determination" in MJ Botany, by RC Clarke

........................................................................................................
ASA (acetylsalicylic acid, a.k.a. aspirin) sprays also reverse sex in Cannabis. Dissolve two 325mg tablets in a gallon of water and spray the plants daily for a week. (....after final sex determination, I've never known anyone to spray an unsexed plant...how would you know if sex reversed...)

#6 ghetto gardner

ghetto gardner

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Locationdeep south

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

what I posted was info written by Soma back in 2002 and I personally only make beans the old fashioned way, no chemicals involved

together we stand.......divided we fall

#7 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

Well my first born Lowryder #2 was a male, I will await the arrival of a girl to continue my hunt for female dominant pollen. I will continue to log my attempts.

#8 George_W_Heyduke

George_W_Heyduke

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 5,364 posts
  • Locationon a pillow of winds

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

I played with gibberellic acid back in '88 and did not observe any valuable results for my methodologies. I did not continue any further efforts after that.

Something has to be pretty damned dramatic for me to bring it into the fold.

#9 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

Can I ask how you used it? concentrations, how many applications over how long, results you were trying for, etc etc
I want to use it to produce male flowers so I can get female seeds. Did you use it the same or did you look to increase size of plant, or amount of flowers, or germination rates?

#10 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:19 PM

I believe I've read where gibberillic acid in 15 -25ppm will keep a plant growing. Maybe it will make cloning possible. something I plan on trying, a clone put into a glass of water at a 25ppm of the Gibberillic acid. I will post results.

#11 0Rich0

0Rich0

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:33 AM

Interesting stuff... Were does 1 get something like Reverse<trademark> ...lol, and how do you guys make that cool little r for a trademark sign???

#12 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Chronic Don
I believe I've read where gibberillic acid in 15 -25ppm will keep a plant growing. Maybe it will make cloning possible. something I plan on trying, a clone put into a glass of water at a 25ppm of the Gibberillic acid. I will post results.

Well I'm cloning my male LR2, I cut them and put them into water with a 25ppm of gibberillic acid. thewy are showing new growth and have started producing female flowers. here are two pics I just took. its hard to see the white hairs but they are there!

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1130male clone 2 shrunk.jpg

#13 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

well of my 4 remaining Lowryder #2, 1 has showed his balls, now to wait to see if any of the three unsexed will be girls, damn better hurry up I need my seed crop in less then 10 weeks.

#14 0Rich0

0Rich0

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

Thanks Frmrgrl!!!
PeaceĀ®

#15 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:46 AM

well I have 1 more male plant, and hes been removed to collect his pollen. the female that showed yesterday will have a cutting taken today to try to get it to root and veg.
As time goes I'll post results. I'm sure it will be a waste of time, but it gives me something to do

Attached Thumbnails

• 7thnodegirlspistilsadjusted.jpg

#16 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

Ok all three remaining LR2 are female. Today after I mix the GA3 at 50ppm I'll spray one lower branch on each of the two tallest plants. At 22 inches and 18 inches I figure they are a slight throwback to the Santa Marta geno in them. 1 one the three is only 8 inches tall, more of a LR trait. I'll post pictures of the branches a few times a week until the process is finished either successfully or disasterously poor.
The new plan (from a few suggestions from old time indoor growers I know and have asked them about) is to spray once daily until male flowers show or dont show, two weeks I am giving it, after that I pollenate with what I've collected from my males.

#17 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

the girls with a ladybug invader, a good invader to have!

Attached Thumbnails

• Ladybug05 adjustedshrunk.jpg

#18 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

the girls

Attached Thumbnails

• The Girls 040409 shrunk.jpg

#19 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

this is a branch from a Lowryder 2 female which I sprayed with a 40-50ppm solution of Gibberillic acid. hopefully they show as a few male pre-flowers are showing. I hope they produce pollen within a week so I can get them seeded and finished before too late.

#20 Chronic Don

Chronic Don

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

here are all my girls, 3 LR2 and 1 ATA Tundra(still veggin not sure of sex)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users