Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      06 Sep
    ΘℏΙℊℏο ☞

I made a step, acquired a label, gained knowledge and once again the yawning chasm of another step approaches. I still have far to go. How do you win when you have a fraction of the strength of others?

Show comments (4)
View All Updates

Photo

Aeroponic Mister Bucket Grow System - Comments!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DieselsMMK

DieselsMMK

Stranger

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:51 AM

Welcome to my Aeroponic Bucket Grow System!

I'm going to be fabricating a Aeroponic Bucket system that will incorperate 3, 5 Gallon grow chambers with another 5 Gallon grow resevoir for nutrients. The whole system will be placed to sit in a perfect square and take up most of the floor room growspace. I'm specifically only doing 3 grow pots with 1 nutrient res. because it fits the exact dimensions of a HOMEBOX SMALL, which I will be using for my grow tent (Not too big, not too small) The grow will be SCROG as to maximize space per bud production and the minimum plants I will be growing.

CONSTRUCTION:

Each 5 Gal. bucket will house a 6" Net pot lid, that will outfit 2, 180 Degree misters in each bucket. The misters will be placed opposite each other coming down from the top of the lid. Rubber gromets will be placed in the nutrient line wholes on the lid, and the nutrient line will slide right through for a snug, light tight fit. The misters will be attached to the other end, which will hang about 2.5-4" from the top of the lid as to fully cover the net pot as well as the newly developing roots below.

An air pump will be outtfitted to a 6" Bubble Stone that will sit at the bottom of the nutrient res. next to a 520 GPH Water pump w/ adjustable flow knob. The pumps outlet will have a backflow prevention socket, that will lead to the top of the res. lid where on the top of the lid on the outside will sit a Raindrip 8-Outlet 1/4" Dripper feed manifold. Each dripper distribution line is adjustable from 0-30PSI.

From there each distribution line will feed to the buckets misters.

PRE-BUILD QUESTIONS:

1.) I know that this is a "Dripper" manifold, so I'm wondering if I should go another route -- or just see how it works and adjust the pump/outlets accordingly?

The 8-Site manifold..

2.) I'm also curious as how I should handle the spent nutrient after it is sprayed to the roots? I'm assuming not every single drop can be absorbed in time before it pools at the bottom of the bucket. Should I re-route it someway back to my res. or have a drain that emptys into another container? How would I go about doing this?

I'm still waiting on a bunch of things to arrive in the mail, and will be picking up some key items tomorrow during my travels. I'll be updating this thread with updates, questions, and pictures!

ANY Comments, questions, and/or criticisms are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

#2 DieselsMMK

DieselsMMK

Stranger

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

UPDATE!

Here is everything I have now:

I'm still waiting on the 4, 6" Net pot lids that will be coming next week, as well as the manifold shown above. I also have to get a bunch of 1/4" rubber Grommets for the nutrient lines, as well as fit drains to the buckets.

That is the way they will sit, also, in a square formation like such shown.

QUESTIONS:

I still need to know how to drain the remaning nutrients after being sprayed from the grow buckets. Where should they go, and how should they get there etc.

Construction begins next week! Stay Tuned!

#3 Rebel Dawg

Rebel Dawg

Super Stoner

• Members
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationMedical grow in USA

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

you are going to have need of moving the water back to the main resevoir. It can be as simple as having the grow pots higher and using gravity or use a pond pump of some sort but the water has to be moved back.

I have grown this way many times and your biggest enemy is going to be heat. Have you thought about how you are going to keep the root zone at > 69f ?

It is not a worry early on in the grow but later on will make a huge difference on yield and keeping root rot away.

Respect Few Fear None
Trust No One
Smoke all the bud you can because tommorrow you might die.

#4 DieselsMMK

DieselsMMK

Stranger

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Rebel Dawg
you are going to have need of moving the water back to the main resevoir. It can be as simple as having the grow pots higher and using gravity or use a pond pump of some sort but the water has to be moved back.

I have grown this way many times and your biggest enemy is going to be heat. Have you thought about how you are going to keep the root zone at > 69f ?

It is not a worry early on in the grow but later on will make a huge difference on yield and keeping root rot away.

Hello thanks for the response!

I researched trying to keep the grow buckets at a constant temperature, but came up short on answers.

The temperature in the res. will have to be maintained, and kept slightly warm, So I will most likely invest in a heater with thermostat to monitor it's temperature and adjust accordingly.

Now, keeping the grow buckets from overheating will be another problem. I do not wan't to encounter root rot!

I'm sure they will get quite hot from the temperature in the grow room, since they are just thin PVC plastic. I'm thinking start small and wrap the buckets in some sort of heat reflecting tape to keep them somewhat cool. I still have yet to construct the grow room, have things running, and take temperature readings so I don't know for certain what extent I need to go to keep them cool and at a below 70 Degree temperature.

What else could be used?

#5 Rebel Dawg

Rebel Dawg

Super Stoner

• Members
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

probably wont need a heater, the lights do that just fine unless it is sub zero outside and not insulated. best bet for small rez when starting out is to just put ice bottles in the rez with a cheapo floating thermometer and try to keep the temps under 69 but in anywise as low as you can if not. This will drastically improve your yield. if you have the bucks you can invest in a small 24 gal aquarium chiller for about $200 on ebay brand new.

I have done them without doing anything to cool them and had real issues at the end of the grow everytime, except when I went to extremes with Co2 and even then I had some issues.

reflecting tape could work, another option is to go down to the dollar store and get a few mylar windshield protectors and cut them to meet your needs. They are insulated and reflect and they are cheap.

Respect Few Fear None
Trust No One

#6 DieselsMMK

DieselsMMK

Stranger

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

probably wont need a heater, the lights do that just fine unless it is sub zero outside and not insulated. best bet for small rez when starting out is to just put ice bottles in the rez with a cheapo floating thermometer and try to keep the temps under 69 but in anywise as low as you can if not. This will drastically improve your yield. if you have the bucks you can invest in a small 24 gal aquarium chiller for about $200 on ebay brand new.

I have done them without doing anything to cool them and had real issues at the end of the grow everytime, except when I went to extremes with Co2 and even then I had some issues.

reflecting tape could work, another option is to go down to the dollar store and get a few mylar windshield protectors and cut them to meet your needs. They are insulated and reflect and they are cheap.

Great, I'll check out some local hardware shops tomomorrow for some heat reflective tape that won't break the bank. Will definately try the frozen ice bottles trick or maybe just place the resevoir outside the grow tent and monitor it from there.

I just ordered a pack of 25, 1/4" Rubber gromets that i'll place in the lid then slide the nutrient lines through to the misters.

I will also go ahead and try to construct some sort of short stand that the buckets will sit on so I can incorperate the drainage lines from the bottom. I'm wondering though how once the water drains from the grow buckets how I will get it back into the resevoir, without buying another pump?

#7 Rebel Dawg

Rebel Dawg

Super Stoner

• Members
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:43 AM

ideally they would drain directly into the resevoir, if you must utilize another pump to get it back then you may run into issues on the pumps flowing different amounts and end up with all the water in one or the other tub.

Respect Few Fear None
Trust No One

#8 DieselsMMK

DieselsMMK

Stranger

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

ideally they would drain directly into the resevoir, if you must utilize another pump to get it back then you may run into issues on the pumps flowing different amounts and end up with all the water in one or the other tub.

Hmmm, that is going to be a problem. I don't think I can make a stand high enough to have it drain into the resevoir just using gravity. The stand would have to be atleast 10" high, and that takes alot of grow space out of my tent. Is it most important the nutrient is drained?

Well, I've figured out most everything for the plumbing. The outlet to the pump has a 3/4" female insert. I've decided 1/2" is too skinny, so I've upgraded to 1" piping. So the pump outlet to the dripper manifold will go as such -

Pump Outlet > 3/4" threaded to 1" slip Male Adapter > 3 inches of 1" PVC > Backflow preventer check valve > 4 inches of 1" PVC > 1" slip to 1/2" threaded Male reducer adapter > Dripper manifold.

The manifold that all the nutrient lines will run off of will sit atop the resevoir. I will drill a whole so the piping can run through the top. This removes any kinks, and opening the top of the resevoir is as easy as just unscrewing the dripper manifold on top.

I just recieved my 6" Net Pots today and am figuring out how I want to incorperate the misters onto them. I'm thinking I'll stick with my original plan -- Drill 2 holes in each net pot lid, insert rubber grommets, slide the nutrient lines through the top and extend them so they are at length with the bottom of the bucket net (about 6-7")

I'm also constructing a SCROG screen out of PVC and chicken wire. It will be almost as wide and long as the grow tent (31.5") but will bend slightly at each side at 45 Degree angles.

I WILL UPDATE THIS THREAD WITH PICTURES OF PLANS AND MATERIALS TOMORROW!

#9 DieselsMMK

DieselsMMK

Stranger

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

So, today I recieved my 1/4" Rubber Grommets for the seals for nutrient tubing as well as air tubing.

Should I have gone with 360 Degree misters instead of 180? The spray spread will be facing the roots/net pot.

Here is a quick shot of the nutrient line and pot -

As you can see, the nutrient line will drop down from the top passing through a rubber grommet. What I need to now know is how to keep the nutrient line straight, instead of hanging all willy-nilly like that. Maybe a piece of stiff plastic to slide on it so it doesn't bend?

Now I was going to use Rubber Well Nuts, that have a thread at one end where I was going to screw in the misters, insert the nutrient line from the other end, then insert them into the lid. But the nuts are way too short and wouldn't cover spraying the roots efficiently enough, and I couldn't find longer ones ANYWHERE!

#10 agentatf

agentatf

Stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:55 PM

i have thought of a good way to keep the aeroponic bucket system rootzone cool. EIther install some water proof intake and outake fans in the buckets or run an airline hose into the the dry bucket. a mini waterproof extractor fan on the top would work well.