CC Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kill-9

LED lighting on trial

frmrgrl    395
13 hours ago, Ganjajuana said:

Hey frmrgrl, how much area does one P300 cover? I want to replace my old mag ballast 1000w to reduce power consumption and heat in my small tent. It is covering 4'x4' (half my tent). I am about to have some disposable income for upgrades. Good vendor for the P300?

Hey Ganjajuana.  The mfr states max coverage as 4 x 3.8 ft at 18" off the plants, with a core coverage of 2 x 3 ft.  The perimeter of the core is definitely visible, as that area appears bluish white while the periphery is intensely purple.  I personally feel the core coverage is closer to 2 x 1.5-ish feet....not far beyond the dimensions of the box.  I think 2 will cover 4 x 4 ft pretty well.  I use 2 to cover a space about 2 x 4 ft., and that's probably a bit of overkill.  Growth rate is crazy good.  I bought mine directly from the mfr, Platinum LED Lights LLC.  They cut me a break on multiple units.  Pretty nice and personable folks.

The XML2 might be a better fit for your situation.  But if you're considering the P9-XML2 that costs a grand, you should definitely give Black Dog LEDs a look because they're in that price range as well.

• Upvote 1

Unregistered    175
6 hours ago, Shadey said:

LOL yeh, I forgot about the bright light created by the rest of the LED's, I looked at my light last night and I could see the IR and UV lights were on, just very dim compared to the rest. I found an app as well, that allows you to use the light sensor in your phone as a light spectrum analyzer, so I am going to check my light over the weekend to see how it looks.

UVA LEDs look a light purple when operating (IME) and will make "black light" paints flouresce. I don't know how to check IR LEDs without removing them from the circuit or using a sensor+meter and looking for a reading change when the device is powered.

I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your experiment.

Shadey    309
On 6/9/2017 at 7:37 PM, Unregistered said:

I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your experiment.

The info you get with the app is limited in how you use it, I think you have to know what you are doing rather than just point and shoot lol. You have to create a slot for the x and y axis. Then save the pic of the graph line. Then you have to pay for the app that lets you see what your line represents on the spectrum it has captured. Non of the apps seem to have a good right up from users, so I am wondering if I should waste money on something that is not very accurate to start with.

20 hours ago, Ganjajuana said:

I will be getting an LED in a week or two

Nice choice, if I had the cash spare I would get one to add to the other I have. I always try and get the best I can afford at the time, especially with tools and airbrushes. If there is a problem, and you know you are using the best tool for the job, then it has to be something you are doing to create the problem. Which saves time and energy wondering where to start looking to correct it. With the kind of guarantees they are giving I dont think you can go wrong.

• Upvote 1

Unregistered    175
14 hours ago, Shadey said:

The info you get with the app is limited in how you use it, I think you have to know what you are doing rather than just point and shoot lol. You have to create a slot for the x and y axis. Then save the pic of the graph line. Then you have to pay for the app that lets you see what your line represents on the spectrum it has captured. Non of the apps seem to have a good right up from users, so I am wondering if I should waste money on something that is not very accurate to start with.

Without knowing what the sensor is or how the data is being processed it is impossible to tell whether you'll get useful data or not.

• Upvote 1

Shadey    309
3 hours ago, Unregistered said:

it is impossible to tell whether you'll get useful data or not

If I want the real thing they start at about $700 as far as I can find. So it would make more sense to spend it on a light with known and guaranteed output instead  :( .

frmrgrl    395
On 6/14/2017 at 8:40 PM, Ganjajuana said:

I will be getting an LED in a week or two. MY choice at this point is the Advanced Platinum Series P450 . I like the 5 year warranty and it claims to cover 4.5'x4'. Perfect for half of my tent.

I think you'll be pleased with the results.  The warranty and the data provided by the mfr were the deciding factors for me.

You can achieve crazy DLI with these things.

• Upvote 1

Unregistered    175
5 hours ago, Shadey said:

If I want the real thing they start at about $700 as far as I can find. So it would make more sense to spend it on a light with known and guaranteed output instead  :( .

A calibrated meter (overall energy) would be about that kinda price, a spectrometer (energy distribution across the spectrum) will be in the thousands though, so we are likely thinking about different things.

The problem with using a phone's sensor is that it is, at best, an RGB color sensor which only looks at the red, green, and blue components of the spectrum - you can calculate color temperature from that, and it may be calibrate-able so that it can be used as a light meter, but it will not be able to "see" photons at wavelengths outside of it's R, G, and B bands... which seems a bit too coarse to be useful.

• Upvote 1

Doobie Brother    1,034

I'm not an expert on LEDs, but I'd be suprised if a phone's sensor would be of any use, it's just not sensitive enough (as Unregistered mentioned above).  

Do you think that much of an investment in one light is worth the cost ?  

• Upvote 1

Shadey    309
16 minutes ago, Doobie Brother said:

Do you think that much of an investment in one light is worth the cost ?  

No, not for a 100$ light lol, I was just curious how good my 1000w LED light from China was for the money, compared to the LED US produced lights.I saw the price of proper light measuring equipment and thought how can I do this cheaper and thought someone must have an app developed for doing it.  From what I learned, the app is really only a teaching aid and not a proper piece of tech because of the phones light sensor ability, so the results would not be much use for the job.

Ganjajuana    198

I couldn't help myself. Got a second LED and moved the 600w HPS to the center of the tent. I will probably only us the HPS in winter or when the tent is overgrown. Lights on temps here in late summer is 76-78F with HPS on. 72-74 with HPS off.

tent-all.jpg

• Upvote 1

Shadey    309

Those are good temps to work with. Looks good, I need another light I think. I will wait and see what mine produces first before I do though. I dont see a humidifier what is your RH like at those temps? I have noticed a big difference in growth now I have added a humidifier to keep it at the right level.

Ganjajuana    198

The RH was 70% in there this eve when the lights come on. It was 60% last night after about 4 hours of lights on. It stays high in summer here in the south.

Shadey    309

Thats not to bad a RH for those temps. The RH goes up and down a lot here on the east coast I have to adjust my RH up and down daily, to work with my daily temps, until summer ends. LabRat posted a graph for temps and RH levels of compatibility for marijuana, I dont know if you have seen it, everything in green on the chart is where you want your RH to be compared to the temp, it makes life easier when I have it stuck on my tent to see. Here it is in case you may want it. Do you find you need to add more cal/mag with the LEDs I read some people have too, just wondering if I should get some.

kap1.jpg.3b265a7848c94c88dc6aa67078ab9852.jpg.685b14dcdb7b984f4c61478ca8cb1f63.jpg

Edited by Shadey
  • Like 1