LED lighting on trial

kill-9    1

I've been looking at LED growing. and there are 3 products I know of:

1. LED UFO http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/catalog/the-led-ufo-p-1372.html

2. TI SmartLamp

http://www.theoremeinnovation.com/smartlamp-en.html

3. Procyon 100

http://procyondepot.com/index.htm

I am not sure which one to go with? And "reviews/speculation" on the net about LED being effective are putting me off. The LED UFO is like 400-600w HPS. So that means I can grow about 6 plants PER LED UFO?

• Upvote 1

It isn't worth it yet, not for 600$. Think of it like HDTV, HDTV came out like ten years ago and was HD, however the techonology wasn't mature enough to make it worth it, but fast forward to now and HDTV is everywhere. I think your better off waiting a couple years when the technology is fully developed, Phillips is putting out an LED bulb onto the market next year that is brighter than cfls,(This was in The NYtimes a few weeks ago)from there the technology will most likely start to mature as name brands add their expertise and product efficiency to the LED market.

look into building your own. one red hood and one blue hood. they work pretty good, but i havent seen anything that makes me want to switch up just yet. just my preference...

i am looking forward to seeing pix of your LED setup in action.

is that price accurate? $184.95 for a 4 panel system?? on their site they go for $249.95(Four Pack - LED Mixed Red/Blue Panel Grow Light). if that is a correct price then i am definitely getting some. those 1000w are freakin hot in these summer months, so i would like to only use them for winter(it gets cold up here in the sticks). i just took both my 1000's and replaced them with t5 and 400w halide.

i was also thinking of scooping up some of those LED spotlights and setting up a track light for side lighting.

let me know about that price Dawg. BOOM DRAW!

this higher watt one looks promising. here is what they say about it.......

OVER FOUR TIMES BRIGHTER THAN OUR 16 WATT PANELS – but only a few bucks more!

We recommend using just ONE of these high watt panels instead of FOUR low-power panels. Why? One word "INTENSITY", the low power panels just don't have near the light intensity needed for maximum plant growth. Although this unit is a little lower in wattage than using 4 low-power panels, it is actually brighter because the higher power LED's have more lumens per watt.

fbdf856fedd163c96e314588a244a9b71.jpg

four of those would blow them girls out.

$139.95 is what they go for at HTGSupply.com

Rebel Dawg    51

yes the price is right. I already got the 4 panel on it's way but that other one might really be great. Keep an eye on my thread and you will see them in action starting next week.

I hear ya on the cold winters and 1000 hps, I heated my house up in N cali for years that way every winter.

Hey I have my pics on photobucket now but still can't figure out how to load them where they are actually in my post. What's the secret?

all i do is login to the bucket and click on the upload button, scroll down until you see the upload box. choose your pic size first then click the add button. find your folder w/ the pics, hold down ctrl and click to select multiples. then when the bucket page refreshes scroll down to the pic you want to add, click on the img code and it should automatically copy it. then go to forum, right click and paste. ta-dow!

im freakin retarded when it comes to cpu's nowadays.

yeah, it gets cold up here in the winter. i grow a purp strain, so i actually benefit w/ the temp drops. just power outages are a bummer, it floods around here.

Northernway    0

From what I have seen and from talking to growers who have used all 3 I would say, in descending order of quality, your choices are as follows:

1. TI-Smartlamp;

2. Procyon 100;

and if you really are without hope the UFO.

A few notes :

The Procyon 100 is at best the equivalent to a 250 watt HPS despite what it says. It only has red and blue leds so is not the best on flowering compared to the smartlamp although it has shown results that you could look at with tomatoes (see http://www.greenpinelane.com)

The smartlamp is truly the same as a 600 watt from what a couple of growers who are using it have told me. I have seen it a number of times and it is super bright and well made. You can take a look at it at http://www.greenpinelane.com also.

The big difference between the two is that the smartlamp also has extra leds, UV and infra red for flowering.

That was the most important comment I got from talking to some growers I met from Michigan.

The UFOs are nowhere near the power of either of these two lamps and should be avoided like the plague.

Hope that helps.

kill-9    1

Seems like you can't buy the TI smartlamp yet, Not even the main website sells it or even lists a price.

Seems like the TI will be fuckin expensive.

Guest Loki   
Guest Loki
 Originally Posted By: kill-9
Seems like you can't buy the TI smartlamp yet, Not even the main website sells it or even lists a price.

Seems like the TI will be fuckin expensive.

That T1 is friggin huge! What's the deal with a lamp 6-8 inches tall using LEDs? They should make the power supply external and have it only 1/2 inch tall...

-Loki

saw both the TI and Procyon at the expo. dont impress too much. the fans that they use in those and also in the UFO only last 20,000 hrs, then they crap out. hopefully they can correct that issue. LEDGrowLights tracks kick much ass.

Northernway    0

Their website site has been revamped since you wrote. Now it can be bought online at http://www.growrevolution.com .

Expensive to buy for sure, but from my calculations it would pay for itself in electricity and cooling savings. Depending on what you pay for electricity it should pay for itself in anywhere from 1 year (California, Florida etc) to 3 years in states with lower power rates, ie 7 - 8 cents. So with a 10 year lifespan that's a pretty good payback.

I bought the SmartBar recently for a grower friend. Hopefully be able to post his results in the coming months.

will you be my friend?? cuz i need one too, hehehe.

thats cool of you man, i like the TI bars. they seem to put out alot. you can even water directly over them. perfect for under the canopy lighting. expensive though, thats my only complaint. with china making new and better chips every 4 months, prices should drop a little at a time.

T5 HO    0

Wow! Those T1 SmartBar 500 ProBlooms sound tempting with the two lamps, ballast and hydraulic cooling system (pipes, connectors and pump) are sure tempting me.

Thanks for bringing them up. But the shipping via Canada Post Standard Parcel is a roadblock for me. I'd like to ride my bicycle to the nearest trading post and pack one back. They are only 6.8 lbs, 22 inches long and only 1.9 inches high (no specs on the pump or power supply).

If I had one of those I'd run some photo-document testing of their 265 µmol/s photoshynthetic photon per unit time - give you some macros of them micro mols ;\)

Tempting - even those T1 SmartLamp 600 ProBlooms with the 310 µmol/s - not liquid cooled, but with the power supply ontop,,.. come on - send my distibutor a couple and we'll test them first (before we go crazy on them).

and Northernway got the SmartBar - awesome

Northernway    0

Not sure what you mean about not being able to buy it - there is an "Order" button on their website with a link to an online order site http://www.growrevolution.com .

It isn't cheap at $1395 for sure, but watt for watt or led for led as it were it comes out as the cheapest LED light out there.

So the only question is whether your electricity costs enough to make it worthwhile. But even if you pay as little as 7 or 8 cents a kwh it would still be worthwhile from what I calculate cause it would pay for itself in under 3 years. Obviously if you are paying above 10 cents or some of the crazy rates in the US it would pay for itself in probably as little as a year. Which doesn't include having a lot less heat and lasting 10 years or more.

Guest Loki   
Guest Loki
 Originally Posted By: Northernway
While it is only 5 inches tall and if they made it external you would have extra costs for a second box, cables etc no?

Yeah, but then it could be much thinner... I doubt it would cost that much more...

-Loki