Shoutbox

Resize Shouts Area

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo

Budder kit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 rexmundi

rexmundi

Stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:06 AM

Hi everyone, first time poster here. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum or not, but I thought I'd start here.

By virtue of this fine community I was able to acquire a budder kit, one of those fancy portable hot knife/butane lighter thingys. They're great. I love mine.

But I have a problem. After having it for less than two weeks it seems to have pooped out. I've really only been using it a few times a day, so I'm confused. Naturally, my first thought was that it was out of butane (so fast!) but at the bottom, there was still plenty of visibile fuel. To be on the safe side I chilled the lighter and topped it up with some more butane. Still isn't working. You can smell the butane very strongly when you flick it, and you can see the spark ignite. You even get a flame for about a second but then it's gone.

What gives? It's full of fuel, dispensing it and sparking it, but it won't hold the flame?! This totally sucks, I loved this toy of mine, and now I can't smoke my budder on it. I'm thinking about opening it up and fiddling around inside to see if I can fix it, but I have no idea what I'm doing and would probably break it. I emailed the vendor about what to do, but there hasn't been time for a response yet Can anybody help me? \:\(

#2 Delta 9

Delta 9

Old hand

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:27 AM

It may have some air mixed in with your butane or you are using crappy butane. Try purging your lighter of the butane that is in now and then refill with a quality brand. Not sure if it will work but it's worth a try.

#3 Geekiator

Geekiator

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

use a small amount of rubbing alcohol to dissolve budder that splasheds around and gums up the parts. Never get the alcohol on the seams or butane will leak out. Use a q tip to get the alcohol on and off.

#4 Heather B

Heather B

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

Sometimes bits of Budder will drop into the ceramic element. If this happens, it can disrupt the gas flow and then be unable to hold a flame. You can try taking a separate butane torch and aiming it into the element of the budder torch until whatever gunk is on it burns off.

It could be something as simple as needing to adjust the pressure valve on the bottom towards the +.

#5 namo420

namo420

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:15 AM

budder kits are a waste of money.

a $5 torch and a little piece of metal..yah...right..

get a TITANIUM spoon or knives, and a nice $30 torch..

thats the healthy way.unless youd like to inhale the fumes from the metal on the budder kit,and possibly burn your self with a stupid little torch that doesnt do a good job to begin with

.CC.150.club.

#6 namo420

namo420

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:17 AM

oh,and your lighter doesnt work because of
1.your filament is probably done(wich means the lighters done)

2.the butane is cheap..buy vector or collibri butane. ronson and clipper are not very refined and will not burn as clean,and will not light every time

.CC.150.club.

#7 Heather B

Heather B

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

I am sure you have reasons for your convictions, but I know as a user of pre-made Budder torches for almost three years now that they work great. My first one lasted me a year and a half, then I broke it myself.

When you speak out of ignorance, you sound like an idiot. Just so you know.