Shoutbox

Resize Shouts Area

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo

Pot Size vs. Plant Size

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 orangekick

orangekick

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:20 AM

I'm beginning to think that cannabis has a tremendous amount of scalability...

that said,

here's the deal: I would like to grow a Durban Poison, it's a 100% sativa that apparently does well indoors.

location, location, location...

area available for 1-plant = 3'x3' - 5' (height)

and I'm using a 400w HID light (electronic ballast)

what would be the maximum pot size for this strain in this location...?

#2 slowica

slowica

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:46 AM

rule of thumb is one gallon per foot of plant height. if you have a 5' tall room, you're going to want to keep say a foot between the bulb and plant, so call it 4'. You would want a 3-4 gallon pot, so the plant can get about 4' tall measured from the floor.

#3 orangekick

orangekick

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

Quote:
rule of thumb is one gallon per foot of plant height

does that rule of thumb apply equally to both indica and sativa strains?

-- would 1 foot - 1 gallon - 100 grams --

be a rule?

#4 ShiverSonic

ShiverSonic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

that would be a sweet rule.

#5 Photoception

Photoception

Journeyman

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

Thats a very familiar room size to me. I would guess you could grow to about 3 ft. However, I'm not familiar at all with Durban or other sativas and how they stretch.

I would suggest transplanting 1 week before flowering. If you let it get a little root-bound, it should pop out nicely without shock. That way, the plant focuses most of the new root growth to the buds.

It is always going to be better to have a bigger pot for a flowering plant from seed. It just depends on how big you veg it before transplanting then flowering.

There is some debate on whether one should grow lots of small plants or fewer but bigger plants. I 'd rather have big buds. Big pots produce big buds.

#6 jetski

jetski

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:46 PM

in a 3x3foot room i would have 4-9 plants in there and flower at 1 foot tall and you will finish around 2-3 foot tall, 1 foot for the 3 gallon pot 1 foot for the gap between the top of the plant and the light thats 4-5 foot to the lamp and the lamp taking up the rest of the room

#7 orangekick

orangekick

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:13 AM

well, right now I'm caught up in an "overgrow" situation-- I've got one plant that's using up every square inch of space I've made available.

I can't imagine trying to grow 4-9 plants in that same space when 1 plant has practically kicked me out of my basement.

hmmm

which reminds me -- learn prune and thin.

thanks.

#8 orangekick

orangekick

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:18 AM

-- about the Durban, yeah... that why I posed the question ... I already know the mess I can make with an indica, an indoor sativa, I'm sure, that's a whole new ball game altogether.

thx.

#9 jetski

jetski

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:01 PM

how long have you veged it for? you would veg them to just 1 foot this would just be a few weeks. you obviously wouldnt veg 9 until they are 3 foot wide.

using a 400watt light you would get a better yeild from nine plants filling up the space than 1 plant filling up the space

#10 SatansHelper

SatansHelper

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:51 AM

I have a Durban in a 5 gal that will soon be going into a 10. After I strip the bottom foot and bury it deeper; pot and plant will still be 4 feet tall. It will finish between 6-7 feet. its not a production plant but I love the smoke. 3 months of veg so far without the best conditions. Too hot, too cold, its winter and I grow in my garage. I think it will push you out of that little space long before it finishes.

#11 orangekick

orangekick

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:22 AM

Quote:
it will push you out of that little space long before it finishes.

yeah, that's what I'm worried about.

I think what I will do once I have the seeds is to grow it until it has 4, maybe 6 nodes at the most and then transplant it into a 2 gallon container-- go 12/12 without ever using a high nitrogen fert.

thanks...

#12 jetski

jetski

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:09 PM

you vegged for 3 months? how much bud did you get from that? thats a long veg time. most would have vegged, flowered and harvested in that time

#13 SatansHelper

SatansHelper

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:11 AM

Not highjackin but it was a mom. I still havent put it in the bloom room.

#14 Organic Soul

Organic Soul

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:16 AM

Growing a strain a couple times starting flowering at the same size, really helps to choose final pot size. My rule of thumb is to go as big as the plant is around at finish (looking from above). Fill your floorspace with soil!! More soil= more roots= bigger buds . For beginners, soil beds will almost always show great improvment over smaller container grown plants.

So Id say the maximum pot size for 1 plant is 3X3 .. ;\) or contruct your 3x3 walls to reflect the light over a 4x4 bed, if you have to room ,for even more root space without losing light intensity.

That said , for future consideration ;\) , Durban does well in lower density SOG , 16 clones finishing in 2 gallons or a bed would fill you space well and fill your sealer jars too.

I hope you have a good grow. Peace

"The greatest weapon of the fascist is the tolerance of the pacifist" - Mike Muir

"The Syndicate does not excist" THE OG Hustler

#15 orangekick

orangekick

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Organic Soul
More soil= more roots= bigger buds

yes, absolutely.

Originally Posted By: Organic Soul
Durban does well in lower density SOG

so the plant does tolerate topping ... SOG ... I could turn this thing into a multi budded 3ft. indica like bush?

Anyway, I did put my order in for the seeds-- looking forward to experimenting with the plant -- with the goal of maximizing its potential.

One other comment-- have you seen some of the advertising from Greenhouse Seeds? They claim their plants produce anywhere from 500 to 900 grams per square meter. I sure wish they would outlined the parameters of how they get that kind of yield.

#16 orangekick

orangekick

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:19 AM

here's a collage of what I'm up to--

Northern Light #5 -- from BC Seed Company

veg'd for 4-weeks (12-inches tall from seed) used Miracle-Gro (12-4-8) exclusively

12/12 on February 7th - I'm now using BioTLC Bloom (8-16-8) I'll eventually switch to Schultz Bloom (5-30-5) in the next week or two before going to straight water in the last 2-weeks.

equipment:
(2) 3-gallons pots
(2) 400watt HID (electronic ballasts)
(1) 180cfm 4" inline fan
(1) oscillating desk fan
(2) thermometers/barometers

#17 Cypher

Cypher

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:38 PM

the yields are based on a SOG (plant per square foot) under 1K lamps. The range of potential yield can indicate stability, a wide range with a unusually high ceiling indicates IMO a breeder trying to unscrupulously draw people in with unrealistic ceilings.

“Good and evil are God’s prejudices” said the serpent. -Nietzsche-

#18 Organic Soul

Organic Soul

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:06 AM

Orangekick-- Yes, Durban does to well topped, however topping plants would be the beginning of a SCROG(Screen OG) setup, not SOG. SOG uses untopped approx 3-6" clones. Full Sog is 4 plants per square foot, so thats 36 plants for your space.( IMO VERY difficult and as I said before you need the right strain)

Since ten seeds will likely get you only a few females, then scrog or topping and tying, trimming etc (a quick search should show mucho info) in a bed or large pots would be what you need to get max yeild from those few plants.
Personally I'd take a little extra veg time, and take some clones, flower the seed plants, pick your females, take more clones and then the next go around you can then maximize yield and try out lower density sog, say 25 in your space, if you feel you're ready.

Sounds like your gonna have some fun Orange. Enjoy and good luck.
Peace

"The greatest weapon of the fascist is the tolerance of the pacifist" - Mike Muir

"The Syndicate does not excist" THE OG Hustler