Shoutbox

Resize Shouts Area

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo

cutting all leaves off during flowering

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 tranqsta27

tranqsta27

Journeyman

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:39 PM

hello ive had a problem i cut off all the leaves of my fems during 3rd week of flowering.. theres still white hairs and small buds that look to be developing is it going to take like twice as long or not work at all? what can i do with them

#2 rasta

rasta

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

cutting ur large shade leaves is not bad at all i and all my friends do it at jus that time rite around the third week and they grew fine. what can u do with what? the leaves? i jus chop em and throw em away. if they were covered in trichs i mite make hash.

~~~Rasta~~~

#3 Cypher

Cypher

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:52 PM

With respect, I disagree, I have personally tested trimming fan leaves during flowering. In two grow cycles I chose two plants each time, the first grow cycle I topped both plants and then selectively trimmed fan leaves around the third week of flowering on only one of the remaining tops on each plant. The result was that the non trimmed shoot grew faster outpacing the other and yeilded approximately 25% more weight then its partner on the same plant that was left untouched.

The second cycle I chose two plants again, trying to match growth characteristics, and selectively trimmed just one of them for light penetration. The results were almost the same, the plant that was trimmed fell behind in height and ultimately yeilded less weight in fluffier buds, finishing several days later then the other.

My personal feeling is that the plant will drop any leaves that it does not need. During flowering it uses them for energy plain and simple, when they become a net drain on energy resources near the end of flowering they tend to yellow and fall away as the plant consumes what it needs from them.

In the case of Tranqsta, if you cut ALL the leaves off your girls I would say you are SOL! if only some were cut then they will finish near to the same time but the rsult will be less yield.

“Good and evil are God’s prejudices” said the serpent. -Nietzsche-

#4 frmrgrl

frmrgrl

Ganja God

• Members
  • 5,557 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:58 AM

Why on earth would you cut off all the fan leaves? If it was on the advice of another grower, he/she gave you bullshit advice. Cutting off branches below the canopy at 3 weeks into flowering is a fairly common practice, but I can't say I know anyone who would remove all the energy factories. Photosynthesis still applies in bud production and development.

Quote:
In two grow cycles I chose two plants each time

I hope they were clones. Comparing 2 seed plants is more like comparing apples and oranges. You know as well as I that seedlings do not all carry the same genotype even though the phenotype may be similar. Some grow more quickly than their siblings, some produce more than their siblings, some are more potent than their siblings. Some will react to mutilation differently than their siblings.

Extreme pruning is a pretty well known trigger for hermie expression...

#5 Cypher

Cypher

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:22 AM

Unfortunately they were not clones,and I agree that there is potential for error in that test. I did attempt to choose plants with similar characteristics, however I must admit the possibility that the second trial cannot confirm causation. During the first trial in which the plants were topped however I was only comparing each plant against itself. The fact that the results closely followed each other across all test plants was enough for me, though it would undoubtedly fall short of a peer reviewed scientific study.

“Good and evil are God’s prejudices” said the serpent. -Nietzsche-