Shoutbox

Resize Shouts Area

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo

4-5 inch plants, then dead helppppppppp

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 goulldspellah

goulldspellah

Stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:23 AM

I'm a first time grower whos gone through a lot of trial and error in the past month or so. First I got my seeds through collecting over the year or so from myself and other people. So I assume their mostly mids, some better stuff I hope. I germinated the firts batch in may in a paper towel. I de-rooted a small area and churned the soil up then planted the seedlings. They were doing very good until about a week and a half later when the tops began to shrivel starting at about a half inch from the top and worse at the leave; those died soon after. I decided then that that spot had too much sun. I tried a shadier spot and the same things happened. I then tried another spot, this time I used MG organic choice soil, 2 bags on a 6 by 8 foot area. I planted seedlings and waited.The same problems persisted.Additionally this time I used Daconil fungicide and another pestidicide because I had noticed little bite marks in the leaves. Since then I have moved all ground plants into pots and are seeing how things go. The main problem I have is that they arent maturing. They get about four or five inches and begin to shrivel or get eaten despite the use of commercial pestdicide and fungicide. WTF!!! How can I save my seedlings so they grow up strong!!!

#2 toky_oh

toky_oh

Old hand

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:39 AM

Quote:

I'm a first time grower whos gone through a lot of trial and error in the past month or so. First I got my seeds through collecting over the year or so from myself and other people. So I assume their mostly mids, some better stuff I hope. I germinated the firts batch in may in a paper towel. I de-rooted a small area and churned the soil up then planted the seedlings. They were doing very good until about a week and a half later when the tops began to shrivel starting at about a half inch from the top and worse at the leave; those died soon after. I decided then that that spot had too much sun. I tried a shadier spot and the same things happened. I then tried another spot, this time I used MG organic choice soil, 2 bags on a 6 by 8 foot area. I planted seedlings and waited.The same problems persisted.Additionally this time I used Daconil fungicide and another pestidicide because I had noticed little bite marks in the leaves. Since then I have moved all ground plants into pots and are seeing how things go. The main problem I have is that they arent maturing. They get about four or five inches and begin to shrivel or get eaten despite the use of commercial pestdicide and fungicide. WTF!!! How can I save my seedlings so they grow up strong!!!

hey, I hate to say it, but this sounds just like me. first time grower, starting from seed. some have been dug up by animals, but the ones that have taken have also (so far) started to wilt, before 4 inches, more like 2". I'm trying two seedlings in coir rather than soil. We'll see what happens.

People can get over their addictions, they can't get over their convictions - LEAP member Bradley Jardis

#3 jetski

jetski

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

Could be a number of things. Are you able to grow them indoors for a few weeks to toughen them up then plant them out, you can rule out pests then. Are you fertilising them? What do you mean by de-rooted a small area? Are you growing in the ground?
If you are try them in small pots first so they can get a good fast ‘wet dry’ cycle. This gets more oxygen to the roots and that makes a big difference in the health of the plants

#4 craigmack

craigmack

Stranger

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

how often do you water?

To those who say nothing is impossible, I say stick your head up your ass and get back to me!!!

#5 jdmramon

jdmramon

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

Hey man I had the same problems as your having, do what jetski says and use some pots, i start my seedlings out in like regular cups, and then i move them to 8" pots outside, after that I unleash them on the world in random spots of other peoples property.

we are simple dutch bakery, we do not sell hash brownies.
Now put your shirt back on white boy!!!!

#6 Jimweed

Jimweed

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

And make sure not to plant them too deep, you rot that little stock away and they're doomed as well.

#7 Yippie!

Yippie!

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:56 PM

Dude, i did the exact same thing the first time i grew.

Get all the remaining seeds you have, and germinate them using the paper towel method. During the meantime, prepare a soil mix using any typical potting soil (with nutrients already added). Also, buy a little perlite to throw in there, but not too much. With extra perlite, overwatering would would be much harder to do. However, you would have to water more often. Overall though, it's a better idea to do if you are a beginner like you are.

Get a couple plastic (not paper, paper is worse) cups. Only 1 seed per cup. Take a freshly sharpened pencil and poke a hole down to where the wood part of the pencil ends and where the orange paint begins.

While the little guys are still germinating, go and buy a lamp. Not like the kind that is in your room, but a special one. Go into any home depot and get a fluorescent light. If you have about 20 seedlings, I'd say get about one 400 watt light. You also need to get a ballist (the thing that holds and powers fluorescent lights). This will ring you up at about $60 american.

Find a place in your room/ apartment, and set the thing up so that your plants can each be about 9 inches or so from it.

Once the taproot is 1/3 inch long, stick the taproot end down in the hole. Cover each hole with a thin layer of dirt. Put each under the light, and wait for them to grow till you are ready to go and put them outside.

If you want more overall yield, I'd suggest buying a metal halide lamp and ballist after your plants are about 5 inches tall. If you have a about the same amount of plants that you germinated, I'd say about 600 (total) watts of metal halide lamps would do you. You also need a ballist for one of these. This will be a bit more expensive, but with this, you would be guaranteed more of a fine crop overall.

I hope this was helpful. This was all written in the sense that you live alone, or with noone that cares if you grow pot or not. If you live with your parents, growing pot is not the best idea in the first place. If you are living with your parents and are determined to grow still, we can help you.

peace

Hey, Mister Tambourine Man, play a song for me...

#8 Yippie!

Yippie!

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:12 PM

Forgot a few things

You don't get fungus that early on plants most of the time. It was most likely a pest if anyhing.

If and when you are growing outside, keep your plants off of the ground if you can (i.e. upside down bucket). Spray/ mist the leaves with a spray bottle. Emphasis on the mist. do it on the leaves and under the leaves too. This will help keep of most pests. Never use fungucide. It would hurt the plant more than it would help.

peace

#9 toky_oh

toky_oh

Old hand

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:34 AM

I'm trying to grow my seedlings in coco coir, still no luck. Switched to indoors to start them. This one looked promising after a few days it was maybe 2" with 4 tiny tiny leaves on top. It's BM blueberry. Anyway, now it's done the same as the others: the leaves are shrivelling up a bit and I think it's gonna die. I do not believe I've given it too much water, but maybe I have. I've wasted soooooo many seeds now. Just can't understand why I can't get a plant to grow, supposed to be a 'weed' ya know.

People can get over their addictions, they can't get over their convictions - LEAP member Bradley Jardis

#10 Cypher

Cypher

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:30 AM

I wouldn't reccomend using coir right away, everytime I have tried using it (for plants, not seedlings) I find it seems to break down a lot for the first couple weeks leaving a white residue. I have never measured the Ph but this could be to blame.

The easiest thing you can do is get ahold of some jiffy peat pucks. You soak them in water for a few minutes, they expand, then poke the seed into the center of the open end 1/4 inch deep. Then just keeep the puck wet and warm, I set it in a shallow dish of water to keep it moist, once it sprouts keep it farther from the lights then you would an adult plant, and start to let the puck dry out a little(still at least damp at all times), finally cover it with a clear dixie cup or something, when the first roots start to poke out plant the puck into a small pot 3-5 inch diameter. Be patient, I don't feed mine at all till well after they are tranplanted into 8 inch diameter pots. Seeds germinate far more reliably at temps between 75-90. once you have a few true leaves start to lower the light slowly so that it doesn't stretch. simple.

“Good and evil are God’s prejudices” said the serpent. -Nietzsche-

#11 bones

bones

Stranger

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

you didnt mention weather or not you were taking them from inside to outside? if that is the case you need to graduallley get them used to the outside. seedlings tend to go into shock if you dont slowley introduce them to the outside. Also always start fertillizing at half strength and gradually work up to full strength,or you will kill them

#12 Lambsbread

Lambsbread

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:12 PM

Quote:

If you live with your parents, growing pot is not the best idea in the first place. If you are living with your parents and are determined to grow still, we can help you.

Now thats some admirable shit right there. I like the way you think Yippie

" Smoking weed helps me watch cartoons better "

#13 toky_oh

toky_oh

Old hand

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

Quote:

you didnt mention weather or not you were taking them from inside to outside? if that is the case you need to graduallley get them used to the outside. seedlings tend to go into shock if you dont slowley introduce them to the outside. Also always start fertillizing at half strength and gradually work up to full strength,or you will kill them

some I've started outside, actually, those were the best, but the racoons dug them up! these next failures were started in a paper towel then put outside in mid June. It's been quite warm, but I had some in a little out building just to keep them a bit warmer, they died too. I keep wondering how much water these tiny seedlings need. They are coco coir, but I am going to try to find some peat pucks and try what was suggested above.

#14 toky_oh

toky_oh

Old hand

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:12 AM

ok, so that blueberry seedling I thought was gonna die, died. first the tiny leaves shrivelled a bit, then more, then I saw yesterday that the stem above the grow media (coco coir) was brownish and looked thinner. I felt it and the stem had rotted. The stem beneath the coir (the tiny roots) had not rotted. Do you think this is over watering or underwatering, too much heat, sun? It was not in direct sunlight, but it was in a bit of sun with some shade. I really appreciate any more suggestions anyone can give me. I have some others that I've started, following the suggestions in the post above, no results yet though.

#15 Yippie!

Yippie!

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:52 AM

thanks man

dude I'm going to be a senior in high school next year, and I have 3 plants growing right now. My mom has noooooooo idea. Not because she's an idiot, but because I have a large property. All of them are growing outside, only because the glow from my room looks a bit suspicious. lol.

The're all about 3 inches tall right now. I planted them about June 1st. I would have planted them earlier, but i had a crop going (which i planted on 4/20), but were all killed due to the fact that we had so much rain in my area that the sun never came out. I was desperate for a harvest, so i planted them in the beginning of june, and they're doing fine. Hopefully they'll produce something. I live in south florida, so that means more sun, hopefully.

once I move out and get my own apartment/ house, I'm going to build my own grow room and get about 5 plants going using the sea of green method. I don't think i will ever have to buy weed after that again. lol

#16 toky_oh

toky_oh

Old hand

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:17 PM

well I was not able to find any peat pucks but figured coir with some perlite was probably ok too. long story short: I now have a nice little group of seedlings growing. some white kc, some BM blueberry, and some amsterdam flame. the first true leaves have come, and are growing, not shrivelling. some of the stems are a bit stretched, judging by others' pictures and the comments posted. I'm doing about half under some CF bulbs, about 3" away. the others are going outside during the day with partial sun. so far it's tied, maybe with a slight advantage of the outdoor group.

germination was 100%. I'd say maybe 80% have grown into seedlings. a few just haven't poked their head out yet. not sure, maybe they'll come around, just slower.