CAUSTIC

mesh sizing conversion scale. A MUST FOR KIEFING!

anybody know what a silkscreen threadcount would be? Ive been using silk screens and coffee filters for years and had ok results. I am trying to step up a level this year

I went to several art and other stores in my area and could not find screens anywhere. I went to thc and saw a wicca box (sifting box) and immediately bought it, i am going to use it today see how it works, It doesn't say whaht size the screen is but I think it should work.

is the 'inch count', tpi (threads per inch), and US mesh all the same thing? in art catologs, i usually see numbers that are 'inch count' measurements.... ranging from 61-305. these are for monofiliment polyester. the multifiliment is measured simply by 'mesh' and ranges from 6-16xx. by 'mesh' do they mean US mesh? what is a better screen to use, the mono or the multifiliment polyester? so confusing confused.gif

monofilament is the preferred weave.

unfortunately i couldnt tell you about the other measurements.

i got myself a zombie box, its got a 100 mesh ss screen and clear kief/ top plates. goof buy for 60 bucks+SH its 7x7 and i can comfortably shake about a qtr at a time. i just leave my buds in em, it dries em nice. my buddy's got a smaller box maybe 5x5 with a silkscreen and the most noticeable difference is that the kief out of the silkscreen box bubbles while mine doesnt. as a tradeoff i have a higher yield due to less pure material.

I was over at Atlas Screen Supply Company trying to determine mesh to microns and came away confused. It may be best to give up on any simple conversion scale and go by what the retailer says a particular mesh is.

Okay, first the simple one.

125 mesh

Monofilament Polyester

Textile 125 Mesh (71 Microns)

That would be good for dry shift.

But I also found two different meshes that claim to be virtually the same in microns.

140 mesh Monofilament Polyester

Textile 140 Mesh (54 Microns)

195 mesh Monofilament Polyester

Textile 195 Mesh (55 Microns)

I've tried to compare what I've found on several silk screen supply web sites to several charts and it never agreed. I'd go with the silk screen web sites.

But hey, mesh is cheap, buy some 80 (100 Micron) and 125 (71 Micron) mesh and go from there.

Mesh 125 White 55" Width (Sold Per Yard)

$8.50

Sounds like alot of you guys had the same problem I did. Just finding a local shop that carries them then it came to me ANY silkscreen print shop (the kind that makes custom T-shirts to order) has TONS of it I just called em up asked if the had some screen roll ends for an art project and got a box of like 20 diffrent sizes from 75-120 micron all labeled... Hope this helps...

O and they where free (I did say I was using them for an art project for college)

i use a old ice cream bucket.. take the lid that snaps on and cut the inside of the lid out so u still got the ring that snaps on then get a very old and worn out cotton tshirt and and strech it out over the top of the pail and snap the lid ring on to keep it tight.. oh ya put something in the bucket to help smash up the dry leaves and shake away and watch all the that kief fall on the table...knocks me out..

could anyone help me identify the size of this screen,and would it be ok for bubble or dry!

im not too familiar with mesh and microns sizes,

and this screen was salvaged!

much appreciation!

20130523_033441.jpg20130523_033410.jpg20130523_033257.jpg

You will need a digital caliper to measure...

Mesh size is the number of openings per (linear) inch of mesh. To calculate the size of the openings in a mesh the thickness of the wires making up the mesh material must be taken into account. In practice, mesh openings are determined referring to a chart like this one. Mesh size given as 4x4 means the number of squares in one inch horizontally is 4 and vertically is 4.

Hope this helps... 52.

Try the Trim bin it worked way better then i thought it would and made awesome Kief beautiful golden I dont know the screen size but it seemed perfect and WAY better then my silkscreen setup

You can shine a laser pointer through the mesh and project it onto a wall and measure the spacing between bright spots to calculate the threads per inch (or centimeter).   You can look up the math for diffraction and all you need to know is the laser frequency (usually printed on the laser) and the distance from the mesh to the wall, the rest is just math.

--BUT--

Knowing the thread count doesn't tell you the size of the holes.   The hole size is smaller than the distance between threads, but how much smaller?  I dunno.  

Can print this one out and keep it handy.

MeshsizesBig.jpg