Shoutbox

Resize Shouts Area

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo

How long do you need to cook butter for?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 {-_-}

{-_-}

Stranger

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:38 PM

Greetings to all my canna* eating friends out there. The other day, I took my first stab at making cannabutter and it actually came out really great! I used a home made double boiler setup (sauce pan + glass bowl + strainer) to melt the two together, and finely grounded up my buds. Since I don't have access to a large amount of fresh buds, I grounded up about 2grams or so and put it with 3tbsp of butter. My question is how long do I need to keep my butter on a low heat in order for the two to bond properly? I did 2.5 hours or my first batch and it came out great, but could I have done it shorter, and gotten the same quality? Also, could a fondue machine or crok pot possibly work better than using a stranier holding a glass bowl submersed in boiling water for cooking the two? Thanks

#2 mainekind420

mainekind420

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:47 AM

I would think either one would work great, because the idea is to get the butter simmering but not too hot. I have heard tons of theories on how long you need to cook. I would say 1 hour on low heat should do it, maybe a little more. have fun!

We are nothing but the sum of our experience.

#3 {-_-}

{-_-}

Stranger

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:49 AM

Well see I have several conflicting reports then, because I've seen other people say that you only need to simmer/saute for like 30 minutes on a low heat? Is there anyone out there who's done it, either long or short, that could shed some light on the question?

Thanks

#4 toky_oh

toky_oh

Old hand

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:48 AM

Quote:

Well see I have several conflicting reports then, because I've seen other people say that you only need to simmer/saute for like 30 minutes on a low heat? Is there anyone out there who's done it, either long or short, that could shed some light on the question?

Thanks

I did my last batch like this: brought to a boil then simmered for 1.25 hrs. It worked, but was not as potent as I'd hoped. I'd say go with at least 5 or 6 hours. I'd watch this show on Pot.Tv
http://pot.tv/archiv...howse-1073.html

People can get over their addictions, they can't get over their convictions - LEAP member Bradley Jardis

#5 {-_-}

{-_-}

Stranger

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:12 AM

Yea, I have to agree on longer. I recently did a batch for 45mins or so in a double boiler, but it wasn't quite as potent like beforehand, so I'll stick to my original recipe until I find something better.

#6 Stoney McHaze

Stoney McHaze

Old hand

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:37 AM

I like the crockpot myself but I don't know how well it wil work with smaller amounts. In a 4qt crockpot I put 1 lb butter, 2 cups water & as much trim as I can get my hands on but never have used less than 1 ounce per batch. Let it cook on low, stirring occassionally, for as long as you like. I've let it go 24+ hours and it comes out kickin'.

For smaller amounts I've had great success putting the butter, water & herb in a mason jar then letting it sit in a pot of almost boiling water for as short a time as 30 min and still caught a nice glow. I like at least 1 hour cooking because I believe longer is better from my experience.

I recommend using minimum 1 gm herb per tablespoon of butter.

When using smaller amounts of herb, like an 1/8th or 1/4 oz, I've found making an oil infusion with olive oil, or whatever oil you like, to be easier to work with, just as potent and very nice on a sandwich and/or salad.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

#7 mainekind420

mainekind420

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:32 AM

Why do you add water? Isn't the idea that most of the water steams off? What does it do to aid the process?

#8 Stoney McHaze

Stoney McHaze

Old hand

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:00 AM

Quote:

Why do you add water? Isn't the idea that most of the water steams off? What does it do to aid the process?

The water captures all the water soluable plant matter & impurities.

Once your butter is done strain the butter & water liquid into a tupperware container and put in the fridge. After a few hours the clean, pure butter will float to the top and harden into a slab with the water & impurities below. Poke a hole or two along the edge, pour off the water, take out your butter slab, rinse the remaining junk off the bottom and there you have it... nice fresh, clean cannabutter.

Credit for this method goes to another member of the CC forums, not me, but it's been so long I don't remember who. I always did the just butter & herb method until I read about the water method in a post here and have used it ever since.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

#9 mainekind420

mainekind420

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

Interesting, never heard that, but it makes complete sense. Probably helps the taste ... thanks for the info.

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:40 AM

I actually just finished making a batch after my indoor harvest this week.

I put 5.7oz of dry trim and popcorn buds from the bottom of the plant, and 1.5cups water in a blender, blend on lowest setting just until all of it has been chopped up nicely.

Then I put the water/herb mix in a big ass soup pot with enough water to fill almost half way up the pot--simmer covered for one hour.

At the end of the hour add 1lb. of the finest unsalted butter to every two ounces trim/shake--simmer covered for one hour.

Let cool completely (overnight on the stovetop covered will do the trick)--then simmer for one hour

Let cool completely--then simmer for one hour.

double layer cheesecloth over pot of same size, then pour through cheesecloth into pot, wait for herb matter to cool on top of cheesecloth a bit, then wring out cheesecloth into pot.

Put butter, and water, and pot, and put into fridge overnight. Wake up saturday morning, bake the goods, then bake yourself.

I'm baked as hell right now after eating two big brownies first thing this morning, and it's all thanks to:

Marijuana Cooking: good medicine made easy
By: Bliss Cameron and Veronica Greene
Green Candy Press

#11 fourwayj

fourwayj

Stoner

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

just made some cannabutter the other night, here's what I did:

got a pound of margarine with omega-3's and soy lecithin (check ingredients), melted the whole thing and threw in an OZ. of shake. added about 3 cups water and simmered (very low setting) for 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Stained into a plastic container and froze it overnight. When I woke up I carved out that nice slab of light green cannagold. The water was dark brown and frozen stuck so I shaved all that brown crap off with a butterknife, walla, one pound of cannabutter <this is a scaled down version of Friday's buzzin butter recipe, per somebody else's experience on these boards> I got the butter, now I need the ingredients necessary to make them peanut butter cookies. See you in a bit if I get anything.

you don't wanna know the truth