Shoutbox

Resize Shouts Area

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo

Homemade carbon filter?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 kneel

kneel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:26 PM

I was thinking of putting together my own carbon filter.. something along the lines of having a 2 furnace filters with powder carbon inbetween them.
Anyone done this before? Plans? Also, where would one be able to buy activated carbon by the lbs/kg in Canada?

#2 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Old Green Thumb

• Members
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:04 PM

The carbon is in pellets , not powder. I have seen such setups , and they do work , but the price of a filter is not much more than the price of the carbon , so ........

I like to play it safe , and use a professionally made filter.
Yes many stores in Canada carry 10 pound Boxes . I get mine at Jons Plant Factory , on East Hastings St. Burnaby ( Vancouver)

3+,the new 2+
Anything I say is pure fiction.I don't grow pot.All pics posted are from the internet.
All advice is intended for licensed legal medical growers only!

#3 TheKlonr

TheKlonr

Journeyman

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:19 AM

I've got to ask....
In what way "safe"?

I'm pretty sure that a bulk bag of aquarium charcoal and the homemade filter fix is probably cheaper.

#4 crap happy

crap happy

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:09 AM

i use a five gallon bucket with a six inch duct insert on the lid and holes drilled in the bottom.i buy a 3olbs bag of activated charcoal for 90 bucks.it has lasted me for over a year now and i still have over 20 lbs.works well!i would consider that pretty cheap!

#5 kneel

kneel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:08 AM

Crap happy... where did you source 90lbs? Thanks..

#6 mrs.gorillaz

mrs.gorillaz

Journeyman

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

Or you can use carbon filter that looks like a roll of felt and some type of reinforcement mesh like chicken wire inside the metal pipe and around the exit end. Cost about 70 dollard total setup

#7 Cremater

Cremater

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:27 PM

All you need is a couple of A/C parts to build a great carbon filter, and the cost is about 35 dollars to build it. After your initial cost its about 15 dollars to refresh it.

Here is what you need.

Purchase a 6" piece of A/C duct coupling material, and a 6" cap (you can even use PVC for this if you want even less expensive) a bit of that small wire mesh and an activated carbon A/C filter.

take the wire mesh and cut it into a strip about 10 - 15" wide and at least 15 - 20" long (you will need it to be long enough to wrap around the other pieces). Now, wrap the wire mesh around the A/C coupler or PVC so that it covers an inch or two of the coupler, secure it with duct tape or aluminum tape. on the opposite end of the wire mesh you will be inserting the cap you have as well and securing it the same way.

Now you should have what looks to be a tube with one end open, the other closed by the cap and the wire mesh all wraped around to make it a tube.

That Active carbon A/C filter you bought, cut it up. all you want from it is the carbon cloth that is inside, usually enough to make 3 - 4 of these things. cut the carbon filter material into a length that will completely cover the wire mesh and wrap all the way around the tube. Now all you have to do is take more duct or aluminum tape to seal off both ends of the carbon sheet on your tube. this makes it so that all of the air passing thru must pass thru the filter material and cant leak out around the edges.

And there you have it, one great carbon filter for about 30 - 40 dollars. Nicest part of this filter is that after 3 -6 months all you have to do is remove the used carbon sheet from the outside of the tube and replace it with the leftover material from when you built it or at the very worst go and buy another A/C filter. They only cost about 15 dollars.

No muss, no fuss and everything is readily available at your local home improvement store.

#8 kneel

kneel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:44 PM

Quote:

I've got to ask....
In what way "safe"?

I'm pretty sure that a bulk bag of aquarium charcoal and the homemade filter fix is probably cheaper.

A little digging around on my part.. from wikipedia .. looks like inhaling this stuff is particularly bad for you .. unlike some other stuff I like to inhale :-)

Here is a quote from the article. "Incorrect application (e.g. into to the lungs) results in pulmonary aspiration which can sometimes be fatal if immediate medical treatment is not initiated"

Guess I'll follow some of the other advice provided! Thanks
Cheers
Kneel

#9 Green Bastard

Green Bastard

Old Green Thumb

• Members
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:58 PM

I guess what I mean by safe is....

A good pre made filter is about the price of an Oz or an Oz and a half , and smell is a good way to let the neighbourhood know what yer up to. I would rather trust the manufacturers specs , and know that I have a good year of useage , rater than the unknown life expectancy of a homemade filter. Another factor is that the filter may be effective when you are outside , checking for odour , but when you are in the room tending , and moving/bumping plants , they seem to release more of their perfume , but you don't know , because you are inside at the time (I'm speaking from experience here) . A good idea , is , if you have a partener , or wife , or confidant , get them to be downwind from your filter , while you are tending your garden ,just to make sure that it's effective....

3+,the new 2+
Anything I say is pure fiction.I don't grow pot.All pics posted are from the internet.
All advice is intended for licensed legal medical growers only!

#10 MiniSeedlin

MiniSeedlin

Stoner

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:47 PM

http://www.hg420.com...ead.php?t=14118

or

http://forums.mycoto...carbon scrubber

I come posting in peace.

#11 crap happy

crap happy

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:12 AM

LOL! i scored 30lbs for 90 dollars!Not 90 bls.that would be one big ass bag!I get it at a local grow shop.they order it by 30lb boxes.it works well for me.before i ever had the carbon,you could smell the ganja on my front porch.now people stand next to the grow room and dont smell nothin!

#12 kneel

kneel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

So I followed a bunch of the links that some of you provided and I've put together a filter from a bunch of parts sourced at Home Depot. Now I need the carbon and a couple of pairs of panty-hose... I'll post a couple of pics when I'm ready to assemble. Thanks,
Cheers
Kneel

#13 Throwgar

Throwgar

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:07 AM

FYI, 27lbs Activated Charcoal for $49 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

I wonder if Dracula ever has ticks.

#14 kneel

kneel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

So here is attempt at making a filter...

Went to Home Depot and got the following items..
4" end cap
4" starter piece
6" end cap
4"->6" reducer
2 4" clamps
2 6" clamps
2' x 5' , with 1/2" mesh ..

2 pair panty hose from local store
3 containers of aquarium activated carbon

First was to cut the metal and fashion onto the ends of the 4" cap and 4" starter.. as in the picture attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1347804-IMG_3205.jpg

#15 kneel

kneel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:45 PM

Then, you make another cylinder 6" round out of the mesh.. like this one.

oh.. I used 4" and 6" because 1) my rig is all 4" ducts 2) home depot did not have a good selection of 8" parts, so I made the executive decision to go 6" and 4" rather than 8" and 6" that I'd seen elsewhere..

Attached Thumbnails

• 1347805-IMG_3207.jpg

#16 kneel

kneel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

Then you stuff the 4inch mesh part into the 6 to 4 inch reducer.. like this..

Oh, then you realize, you forgot to put the nylon on it, so you take it apart and do that..

Attached Thumbnails

• 1347807-IMG_3209.jpg

#17 kneel

kneel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

Now , this is the way it should look.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1347808-IMG_3211.jpg

#18 kneel

kneel

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:54 PM

Now, take the 6" cylinder, cover it with nylons, slip over the top of the 4" cylinder and attach to 6-4 reducer, clamp. Carefully pour carbon down between. Place cap on the end, clamp , and voila, after about 1.5 hours total time, a very functional carbon filter.
thanks everyone for the links etc.. very informative!!
Cheers
Kneel

Attached Thumbnails

• 1347813-IMG_3213.jpg

#19 crap happy

crap happy

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:14 AM

thanks throwgar,i know were im getting my next bucket from!

#20 Casper

Casper

Journeyman

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:16 PM

You just poured the charcoal into the bucket with an inlet and outlet? Any other filter?

Thanks

Quote:

LOL! i scored 30lbs for 90 dollars!Not 90 bls.that would be one big ass bag!I get it at a local grow shop.they order it by 30lb boxes.it works well for me.before i ever had the carbon,you could smell the ganja on my front porch.now people stand next to the grow room and dont smell nothin!