Shoutbox

Resize Shouts Area

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo

does anyone have plans for an aircooled reflector

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 $kinles$

$kinles$

Journeyman

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:38 AM

im about to make a flowering room 4' x 4' x 7'. i have a 1000w sodium and i need to make a air cooled reflector, if possible. does anyone have any thoughts or plans?

Support our Troops, Canada

#2 Throwgar

Throwgar

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:15 PM

I just took the dimensions of one of my hoods so that I could make another. I can give you the dimensions, but I'll assume that you're privy to metal frabication.

End View:
13 inches across bottom
6 inches across top
2 inches up from either side of the bottom at a right angle
6.5 inches from the top of the 2 inch sides to the 6" top

Looks kind of like this:
``_____``
`/`````\`
/```````\
|_______|

Side view:
24 inches long
7.5 inches high
looks like a rectangle from the side.

If you follow this, you'll get a 120 degree hood, which is standard.

I wonder if Dracula ever has ticks.

#3 navairum

navairum

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:24 PM

here is one:
DIY Air cooled tube

#4 $kinles$

$kinles$

Journeyman

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:44 AM

thanks for the info, but where do i get a "bake a round"? everything else i can get. also throwgar what gauge of metal is your hood made out of? would 80cfm be enough to cool a 1000w?

#5 Throwgar

Throwgar

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:16 AM

The metal that I used is awfuly similar to the metal used in street signs. I'd suggest finding one big enough (2 feet x 2 feet), but that would be illegal.

#6 mydixarizen

mydixarizen

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:27 AM

Quote:

thanks for the info, but where do i get a "bake a round"? everything else i can get. also throwgar what gauge of metal is your hood made out of? would 80cfm be enough to cool a 1000w?

...You can use a hurricane globe that you can get at WallyWorld or any arts and craft shop. They are used as decorations over big candles. Here is a pic:

This is my set-up. Very easy. I would suggest atleast a 180cfm or more for your exhaust fan. Depending on how long the duct is. Don't be cheap with the fan or else you will be buying another one like the can fan. I didn't take the advice from here and now I have a collection of cheap fans! GL...

Attached Thumbnails

• 1306657-P7220179.JPG

...What a long, strange trip it's been...(GratefulDead)

#7 $kinles$

$kinles$

Journeyman

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

wow good idea thanks guys ! im glad to have all this wisdom at my fingertips

#8 mydixarizen

mydixarizen

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

...No prob. If you make Throwgars deal you can hook the tube up easy. Also checkout Louisville97 threads. I think he has a post on his homemade set-up, if not, PM him and he'll send you his plans.GL...

#9 tejashidro

tejashidro

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:55 AM

Hey DIX,
I saw the hurricane relector pic. I take it the opening is at the socket end??? How is the hurricane staying in place?? This will solve one of my problems... thankx

Good Luck Good Grow
TJHidro
Micro Team Member#4
Stealth Server Grow

#10 mydixarizen

mydixarizen

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:15 PM

...The globe is open on both ends. I drilled four tiny holes in the reflector and tied the globe in place with wire. I taped the duct to the oppisite end of the socket. It works good for me. Please, don't be cheap on a exhaust fan. Like I stated somewhere b4 I have a collection growing of cheap inlines. I just can't believe the prices they get for the good ones...

Edit: Look at the pic again above and you'll see the gold wire around the globe...

#11 Throwgar

Throwgar

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:00 AM

I also preach the "don't buy a shitty fan, since you will have to buy a new one" as well.

Something to consider when making a reflector is the safety factor. That candle globe works well for ventillation, but if that bulb ever exploded it wouldn't do much good to keep the 1000 degree shrapnel from spreading all over your grow room.

It DOES happen. One of my 1000 watt MH lamps blew a month or two ago. If it wasn't for my tempered glass shield, I'm pretty sure that my house would have caught on fire.

#12 mydixarizen

mydixarizen

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:56 PM

...Gotta good point there. I would have used those pie-rounds from pyrex but I couldn't find them, but I didn't spend much time looking either. I gotta replace my bulbs after this harvest. Might just change them over then. I bought a cooltube for my 600 and thats got some meat in her. Good tip. That vortex fan I got will make yer asshole whistle!...