Shoutbox

Resize Shouts Area

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo

legal "cocaine"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 stinkweed

stinkweed

Ganja God

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:33 AM

It's legal, but Cocaine could still be hard to find

October 2, 2006
BY DAVE NEWBART Staff Reporter
"Cocaine" isn't for sale in Chicago area stores just yet, but some local beverage purveyors say they won't stock it if it does become available.
The controversial energy drink recently debuted in New York and California. The drink maker's Web site claims it will soon be available online via Amazon.com.

Several Chicago bars and clubs contacted over the weekend said they had no plans to stock the drink.

Tammy Tatos, owner of Gold Crown Liquors, 3425 N. Clark, said, "I wouldn't buy it. It doesn't sound good."

PUTTING THE COKE IN COLA
"Cocaine" just borrows the name of the infamous drug, but Coca-Cola once had the real thing.

Coca-Cola was named in the 1880s for two ingredients: cocaine and kola nuts, which contain caffeine.

The amount of coke in Coke was gradually reduced until Coke was complete drug-free in the 1920s.

Sources: wikipedia.org, snopes.com
Marissa Arredondo, a manager of Sam's Wines and Spirits at 1720 N. Marcey, said the drink could upset some customers.
"We do have families come in and shop," she said. "They would be offended."

In addition to the provocative name, Cocaine promises an "instant rush" with "no crash." It contains more caffeine than a Starbucks Grande coffee, and nearly three times as much as the most popular energy drink, Red Bull.

Glamorizes addictive drug?
In some news accounts, officials with Redux Beverages in Las Vegas, which makes the drink, were quoted as saying Cocaine numbs the throat in order to produce an oral sensation like cocaine does. Company officials in Las Vegas couldn't be reached for comment.
Joseph A. Califano, president of the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University, said Redux "should be ashamed of creating and marketing an insidious product."

Noting that 1 million people use the drug cocaine weekly in the United States, he said in a statement, "Putting a product on the market that glamorizes an illegal and addictive drug like cocaine is irresponsible and reprehensible."

While the drink has only been available for a short time, the company claims its Web site, drink cocaine.com, received 6.7 million hits in its first week.

On the drink's MySpace profile, visitors wondered when the drink would be more widely available.

One person named Madeline asked when "is this coming to Chicago[?] [E]verybody at my school wants a can!"

source

I can ride my bike with no handlebars,
no handlebars,
no handlebars.

#2 Nugzy

Nugzy

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:36 AM

Wow.
I dont really know what to say about the name.
On one hand cocaine is a nasty drug (IMO)and the use of its name for a energy drink may be in bad taste, but on the other it is an eye catcher and an attention grabber.
To top that off it contains 3x the amount of caffine one would get from a red bull.
WHOA!!!
I for one an a huge fan of energy drinks but not a fan of stimulant "drugs".
I am a responsible adult who likes to chuck caffine whilst I play PC games at home or a LAN party.
I for one am now interested in the product.
Gotta love mainstream marketing.

#3 Craven Moorehead

Craven Moorehead

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:06 PM

i shudder to think how that would play havoc with my body if i drank that.

I get shaky and sweaty palms if i go for a second cup of coffee. If i had one of these they'd be prying me off the ceiling as a quivering tooth grinding mass of sweat and flesh

Some folks say better run away, Others say better stand still.

#4 Unbelievably

Unbelievably

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

This is a great example of "tastless" marketing.

2nd.Law of motion.
Mass x Acceleration = Force
-Isaac Newton

#5 Rotten Pits

Rotten Pits

Stranger

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:22 AM

All of that stuff tastes like shit to me. Whats wrong with a good cup of Joe?

I love my Plumber.

#6 jahjah

jahjah

Old hand

• Members
  • 921 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:48 AM

It's a smart idea. Tons of people will try it just because of it's name.

My dandy voice makes the most anti-choice granny's panties moist

#7 koolerthanaids

koolerthanaids

Stranger

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:35 AM

i think this is a terrible thing. i'm deeply offended in someone representing something so dangerous as a "fashionable, cool thing." i, along with several of my close friends (2 of which are dead because of it) were hardcore addicted to cocaine.... and from personal experience with the cocaine lifestyle, can tell you that it is not a glamourous life at all. a super potent energy drink resembling cocaine will most certainly create a rise in the use of cocaine, especially with the youth. i say this because kids always are looking for something to make them feel cool and sophisticated... and a good bit of them are already gungho about caffiene containing products (like cola and chocolate). give em a highly potent form, that will blow their little nervous systems out of the water, and throw in the title of "cocaine" and what you'll have is a crazed curiousity as to what the white drug is all about. "it must be the shit if they are making soft drinks in tribute to it.",, "these soft drinks are the bomb, i bet the real thing is great!" are a few of the topics popping up in people's heads...IMO anyway.

and rotten pit, i completely agree. what the hell happend to a regular cup of coffee? soda sucks. all the corn syrup and articial flavorings and perservatives... yuck! give me some yerba mate or some coffee and i'll be on my way.

#8 squidhead

squidhead

Old hand

• Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:31 AM

I think I'll market a drink called 'Heroin' and will have the calming effects of a nice shot. Everyone will be on 'pins & needles' to see what it tastes like.

#9 ianq52

ianq52

Journeyman

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:23 AM

ANybody know how the "no crash" part works? As many are probably aware, caffeine simply triggers the release of stimulants that are naturally occuring in the brain. It is the natural chemicals that make you hyper. Too much and all of that chemical will be depleated, and you will basically be void of any energy until your body can recover. That is why people can become "addicted" to caffiene. They need it to continue the draw of their natural brain chemicals to stay normal after a while. I relaize I have no sources, so if anybody knows what I'm talking about, please back it up. That's just what I've learned from taking chemistry classes and stuff like that.

Back to my point, anybody know how the no crash part works?

They say I'm crazy but I have a good time.
~Joe Walsh

#10 templeballs

templeballs

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:02 AM

Every ones trying to make a buck of this beautiful herb,from crack dealers to these assholes.Having myself been a consumer of this strong drug for years,quitting became a big problem.I now legally import my Zurit Mate de Coca from Peru.The natural high from the leaves in this potent tea leaves you fresh and invigorated without the toxic side effects of the processed drug.It has been used for eons in South America to wean addicts off its bad boy brother,rock.Plants are Gods gift to man according to Genesis,it`s man who decides how to manipulate them into stronger potions or to outlaw a plant altogether.The gifts of Coca,Opium,Hemp and Barley have all been manipulated by man to achieve a stronger high to trick the reward cascades system of the individual,or used for political control.Plants evolved with man they can be used as cures or toxins depending on the intent of man.This new line of "designer drinks"is another abuse of Gods plant kingdom,to get a whole new generation brainwashed into drinking Aspartame,and other toxins untill they can smoke crack.

Three things cannot be long hidden,the Sun,the moon,and the Truth-Buddha

#11 Mr.Krummbien

Mr.Krummbien

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:16 AM

Quote:

I now legally import my Zurit Mate de Coca from Peru.

I orderded some of that 6 months ago. The order came with a tracking number. I tracked it right to Canada customs where it dissapeared. No letter or anything. Kinda dissapointing because I realy wanted to try it.

#12 templeballs

templeballs

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:43 AM

I have never had that problem,mind you I never had a tracking # either.Maybe an over zealous customs worker? My buddy just had his opium pipes(gorgeously carved) broken in half then returned to him when coming back from Malaysia.And they want to give these guys guns?

Three things cannot be long hidden,the Sun,the moon,and the Truth-Buddha

#13 stinkweed

stinkweed

Ganja God

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:48 AM

Quote:

ANybody know how the "no crash" part works? As many are probably aware, caffeine simply triggers the release of stimulants that are naturally occuring in the brain. It is the natural chemicals that make you hyper. Too much and all of that chemical will be depleated, and you will basically be void of any energy until your body can recover. That is why people can become "addicted" to caffiene. They need it to continue the draw of their natural brain chemicals to stay normal after a while. I relaize I have no sources, so if anybody knows what I'm talking about, please back it up. That's just what I've learned from taking chemistry classes and stuff like that.

Back to my point, anybody know how the no crash part works?

according to the company's website:

How is there no crash with Cocaine? - Dextrose, a natural sugar, gives you an instant rush. Other sugars make your body work and give you a CRASH when they run out. NOT Cocaine!

Other drinks contain high fructose corn syrup. Why not Cocaine? HFCS is not good for you. According to nutritionists your body has a difficult time converting this "sugar". Try to avoid drinks and food with HFCS.

no handlebars,
no handlebars.

#14 #1Bartender

#1Bartender

Stoner

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:12 PM

I would like to drink one

"ridin that train, high on cocaine...Casey jones ya better watch yer speed"

I don't do coke anymore but think that the drink will sell well IMO

i WISH I WOULDA COME UP WITH IT

the #1 soda seller in the workd is called "Coke" and no one talks shit about that and they really had coca extract in at one point in time....

this is just an energy drink like red bull x3

I would rather have a can/bottle of "cacaine energy drink"
than a san/bottle of "Bawls energy drink"

I can just see people at a bar saying
"lets to a Jager and Cocaine bomb"

or a Rail bomb
or a trainwreck
or a yayo bomb

"yo bartender gimme a vodka and yayo tall with a lime"

#15 rol1

rol1

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:33 AM

Now ain't that sum'thin', usin' a name of koolerthanaids and getting all sensitive about a can of soda called Cocaine.

Quote:

i think this is a terrible thing. i'm deeply offended in someone representing something so dangerous as a "fashionable, cool thing." i, along with several of my close friends (2 of which are dead because of it) were hardcore addicted to cocaine.... and from personal experience with the cocaine lifestyle, can tell you that it is not a glamourous life at all. a super potent energy drink resembling cocaine will most certainly create a rise in the use of cocaine, especially with the youth. i say this because kids always are looking for something to make them feel cool and sophisticated... and a good bit of them are already gungho about caffiene containing products (like cola and chocolate). give em a highly potent form, that will blow their little nervous systems out of the water, and throw in the title of "cocaine" and what you'll have is a crazed curiousity as to what the white drug is all about. "it must be the shit if they are making soft drinks in tribute to it.",, "these soft drinks are the bomb, i bet the real thing is great!" are a few of the topics popping up in people's heads...IMO anyway.

and rotten pit, i completely agree. what the hell happend to a regular cup of coffee? soda sucks. all the corn syrup and articial flavorings and perservatives... yuck! give me some yerba mate or some coffee and i'll be on my way.

#16 Smokey Mcpot

Smokey Mcpot

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:30 PM

Quote:

Whats wrong with bawls ? Its my favourite energy drink.

Any posts made by me are purely fictional and purely hypothetical in nature.

#17 stinkweed

stinkweed

Ganja God

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

Quote:

how's the ad for that one go?

"put some bawls in ya mouf!"

no handlebars,
no handlebars.

#18 #1Bartender

#1Bartender

Stoner

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

nothing just the name cocaine is more apealing to me than the name bawls

who want to put bawls in their mouth anyways? lol

#19 texas smoker

texas smoker

Stoner

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

Wow, very bland. Come on, can't they think of their own name!?

"Turn on, Tune in, and Drop Out." Who in their right mind elected Geekiator?!

#20 davidmalmolevine

davidmalmolevine

Ganja God

• Members
  • 21,671 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:33 PM

That IS irresponsable ... putting all that caffeine in there.

Caffeine is an addictive and dangerous drug ... I would bet any amount of money that more people die in one day in the USA from caffeine than have ever died in the entire history of coca-leaf tea or coca-leaf chewing.

"In wise hands, poison is medicine. In foolish hands, medicine is poison." Casanova

"making the earth a common treasury for all, both rich and poor." Gerrard Winstanley; April 20, 1649