Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fred_the_Plumber

Let me be the first to welcome all

I'm glad to announce the unveiling of the newest forum on the CC boards.

Let us know what your hobbies are and share some experience with those that want to learn something new...

As a friend of mine put it...

"It seems like there are many people with pretty diverse interests on this board. It would be nice to have a place to go and start a post of something that you'd like to learn how to do, and to have the people here help. For example I'd love to learn how to weld, and it'd be neat to be able to just post a general topic and have the CC members empty their heads into the post."

Sounds good to me.

My hobbies tend toward models and radio control, but have spent a lot of time programming in VB and I'm building a kayak of my own design. My dogs take a lot of time too.

Being out of work tends to give many hours that need to be filled.

PEACE...

FRED.

Thanks for the new forum. I suspect that this is the direct result of the overwhelming response to my Geocaching post. Hah!! Seriously though, great idea. You can only talk about weed for so long.

A kayak eh? I'd be terrified of drowning. That whole rolling over thing looks spooky. Went on a raft trip on some class 3/4 rapids a couple of years ago. I believe it was where they had the kayaking for the '96 Olympics. Needless to say, we had a guide that told us how to pretend to paddle while he did the work.

You need to post pics of this project. Does it look like a joint? smirk.gif

What kind of dogs do you have Fred? That looks like a GSD in your avy.

Cool new forum here, I live for my hobbies.

MRcool.gif

Here's some of the stuff that eats up my "sittin in the garden" time.... smile.gif

A sailboat I built last year and didn't finish daysailer60.jpg

My electric sailplane... A little beat, but flies pretty good.

2M_electric_sailplane.jpg

two of three models I got for christmas. The third is a 32 ford coupe.

69_stang_71_charger.jpg

The bones of the kayak. Now if only I could find cedar in a pine and spruce forest...

Maybe I'll get it skkinned this summer.

kayakbones.jpg

The beginnings of a 60 inch electric cigarette boat. Dosen't look like much now.

cigarette_60_electric.jpg

and the dogs...

George you've met <------- (avatar)

Lucky

Lucky.jpg

and Dezi

dezi_dog.jpg

Quote:

What kind of dogs do you have Fred?

George, in the avy is a Husky/Shep X Rotti

Lucky is a Lab X Collie

and Dezi's a rather neurotic Cocker.

It get's fun around here sometimes....

nice man those models look like a mustnag fastback (or merc cougar) and a 'cuda, if I'm not mistaken. I'm working on a sweet apache ah-64 right now....just about finished. Will certainly post some pics. I have some other models I could post pics of..guess I'll create a new thread or whatever after I take pics.

Nice dogs. I'd love to have one someday but my cat and my proximity to a major road say no. When I get my retreat out in the woods I'm getting a Border Collie.

Jeez! That Kayak looks like a hell of a thing. I damn near went crazy building a guitar from parts. Couldn't imagine all that fabrication. Great job. cool.gif

69 Mustang Fastback and 71 Dodge Charger...

Anyone have a 1/25th scale Daisy Duke?

Quote:

Jeez! That Kayak looks like a hell of a thing. I damn near went crazy building a guitar from parts. Couldn't imagine all that fabrication. Great job

Thanx. It's my own design. I did a bunch of research and coulden't find a boat that would carry the gear I need for a few weeks in the bush, so I designed one. Well... Bearboat Pro designed it.

It's not really that complicated yet. It's only 23 pieces right now. The real work comes when i get to skinning it with cedar.

PEACE...

FRED.

I still have models 1/2 done in my back room, along with the H0 scale train and the fibreoptic lamps.

My hobbies in order would be : Pets 1 dog 2 cats 1 fish and close to 100 houseplants.

next would be the net in general. And games like the sims. Being an introvert, public socializing and mingling would come third. I try to attend Chamber of Commerce and other local business lunchens.

Than there's the wheels. They come directley after family but are more prone to being mentioned LOL.

Calalogue ahopping and planning some interior work for my 80 Caravelle. I just bought it last summer and have had it up for the winter awaiting better road conditions and an out of province inspection.

I'm trying to design a plastic lumber framed flat bed for my lil ranger and a crazy nature scene airbrush for the cab.

Lastley would be my work with recycling and the local fundraisers and non profit groups I work with from time to time. I have been waiting for news to go back to work managing the local bottle depot, but have made more frusterated with the companies owners who live out of country and can't decide what they're doing and when.

Also, I bought myself a cordless headset last year and have made drowning out the world through music a definite favorite day off work hobbie. grin.gif

Great idea Fred!

My interest lies mainly in agriculture. I was thinking maybe a thread on grafting fruit trees, but this may not interest anybody on these forums.

Yeah Horticulture, Botany and the rest. Help me explain why my Thyme, Cigar Plants, sunflowers and strawberries did well, yet my dill died. All in same soil and everything.

Fred, I actually helped a friend of mine do exactly what you're doing with that kayak. Sooooo many 1" long shiplapped pieces of cedar. I've got a really nice 18" resaw bandsaw that you're more than welcome to use, if you feel like making the 3500 mile trip.

BTW, you look good in green. smile.gif

I've got a huge heated shop, equipped with most tools you could name. I used it in an enterprise I'm no longer opperating. I'm a jack of all trades type but I just want to ride my bike.

Thanks for the new forum for sure!

and congrats on your new color Fred. cool.gif

I'm a Kayaker as well, and an avid...rather obsessed snowboarder.

I Ski rarely. But still much better than I board. I've tried snowboarding a couple times and just cant get used to not looking over my shoulder, without changing direction. Haven't broken any bones, and am too stuborn to enjoy a chairlift ride without a doobie. Cheers to the best Forums on the net. I've been a member of Norml canada forums but, they don't compare to CC. Even the news is found here quicker than there. Go figure eh. grin.gif

Quote:

Hey Fred, any estimates on the finished weight of that kayak your building?

Calculated at between 47 and 52 pounds. Some have said that this is a lot but they don't know that the boat is 17'6" long and 23 inches wide. Total capacity of 310 lbs. No rocker for train like paddling on flat water. I'm hoping, once the design is proven, to market these puppies. I have a double designed as well. It's really long and stable and holds much gear as well.

Thanks all for enjoying the new board.

Sorry for the double post. My 'puter had a bit of a stroke...

Quote:

Hey Fred, any estimates on the finished weight of that kayak your building?

It calculates at between 47 and 52 pounds. I haven't factored in the kevlar or marine epoxy but it should be fairly close to fiberglass.

Throwgar

Quote:

Sooooo many 1" long shiplapped pieces of cedar.

Actually I'll be using 5/8 x 1/4 bead and cove cedar to get a thicker wall after the finishing. I have to make it myself. Shiplap isn't a very strong joint and I want these boats to last for many generations.

Bentov

Quote:

I was thinking maybe a thread on grafting fruit trees, but this may not interest anybody on these forums.

That's the exact purpose of this board. We all have various interests and I'm sure that there will be someone with the interests or information that you need.

Xynamax

Quote:

Thanks for the new forum for sure!

and congrats on your new color Fred.

Thanx bud, I hope it helps bring us all a little closer together.

Quote:

Kevlar or marine epoxy

That should take a lickin and keep on ah kickin. cool.gif

Be sure to keep us all updated on your progress...No pressure, but remember I'm a pothead with a very limited attention span. wink.gifgrin.gif Seriously though, I can't wait to see the finished job.

Quote:

Yeah Horticulture, Botany and the rest. Help me explain why my Thyme, Cigar Plants, sunflowers and strawberries did well, yet my dill died. All in same soil and everything.

Good question.

It could possibly be a specific plant disease, or nematodes. Dill may be more prone to damage than the others.

Either way, there is good news. It is called soil solarization, and it is very effective and inexpensive.

If there were one sure way to destroy virtually every kind of harmful insect egg and larvae in your garden soil, would you be interested? How about if the process were easy, cheap, and carried a host of other benefits along with it? Solarization is a simple, five-step process that kills insects, plant diseases, nematodes, harmful fungi, and weed seeds. At the same time, helpful microorganisms within the soil apparently benefit, possibly form the lack of competition. Soil that has been solarized allows plants to draw on the nutrients, especially nitrogen, calcium, and magnesium more readily. Seeds germinate more quickly. Plants grow faster and stronger, often maturing earlier with substantially higher yields than in unsolarized soil.

Solarization works in the same way as a greenhouse, where a transparent covering, in this case 3 or 6 mm plastic sheeting, traps the sun's heat. After several days of sunshine, soil temperatures rise to as high as 140 degrees at the surface and well offer 100 degrees as far down as 18 inches. It takes four to six weeks of sunny weather to pasteurize the soil. For most of the USA, that means planning to spread plastic somewhere between the end of June and the first of September.

Any size plot, down to a 3-foot wide bed, will retain enough heat to do the job, although the larger the area, the more heat is generated and maintained, and the longer lasting the effects. It's easier to lay plastic down in a narrow strip than a wide patch. so that is a major consideration. And therein lies the solitary expense in using the sun's energy to improve your soil: a strip or roll of clear plastic large enough to cover your area and overlap on all sides by at least a foot.

Five Steps to Healthier Soil

1.Prepare the Soil. Pull any weeds or old crops. Turn in any soil amendments and then rake the surface smooth. It's important to remove any stones or clumps that might raise the plastic and create air pockets that could cause uneven heating.

2.Water thoroughly. Leave a sprinkler on for several hours or overnight to soak the soil. This creates 100 percent humidity under the plastic, which acts with the heat to kill all those unwanted critters.

3. Dig a trench all around the bed or plot 6-8 inches deep.

4. Lay a clear plastic sheet, 3-6 mm thick, over the area, overlapping the trench on all sides. Fill in the trench, weighing down the plastic while pulling it as tight as possible.

5. Sit back, relax, and wait. Although cloudy weather will slow things down by cooling the soil under the tarp, a few weeks of sunshine will improve your soil dramatically, easily, and inexpensively. If you live in an area with cool or cloudy summers, or if you just don't want to wait all season, you can speed up the process by adding a second sheet of plastic. Using the hoops commonly used to elevate row covers or bird netting, raise the second sheet of plastic over the ground-level sheet. The airspace between acts as a temperature buffer zone during cloudy weather and the combination of the two sheets of plastic serves to raise the soil temperature an additional 6 degrees.

Thanks Bentov.

I think I'll try that later in the summer. Still got a few rocks to harvest in the garden this spring.

I would imagine the clearer the plastic the better as well?

Wouldn't black plastic heat the area quicker? Probably not really what is nessesary though eh? grin.gif

Quote:

Thanks Bentov.

I think I'll try that later in the summer. Still got a few rocks to harvest in the garden this spring.

I would imagine the clearer the plastic the better as well?

Wouldn't black plastic heat the area quicker? Probably not really what is nessesary though eh?
grin.gif

I have concidered the same thing. I think I will give the black plastic a try in a small area. I came close to experimenting with black last summer. It makes sense that the black would probably work faster because of heat and all...

post-1071-138579575035_thumb.jpg

Kinda new here and still looking around, must say the rocks you painted are eye catching. I live near a big lake and may try a hand at this form of art, tried everything else....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.