Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      22 Jul
    SeaWeed

Rumors of our infection have been GREATLY exaggerated!

Show comments (4)
  • Photo
      10 Jul
    ΘℏΙℊℏο ☞

Happy Oil Day! Happy birthday to Tesla, Busch and Orff and me!

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      02 Jul
    adrok

The more i learn the more i feel i've just scratched the surface....

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      26 Jun
    Schwann

“Synchronicity reveals the meaningful connections between the subjective and objective world.” - Carl Jung

Show comments (1)
View All Updates

Photo

Pot-TV Bit Torrent

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 niall

niall

Journeyman

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:56 AM

As discussed in How to save POT TV and Pot-tv Downloads a few of us would like to use BitTorrent to download and distribute Pot-TV shows.

Primarily this reduces costs for Pot-TV itself - shows could be shared amongst pot-tv viewers, reducing pot-tv's bandwidth costs and sharing the load amongst pot-tv fans who are willing to contribute their outgoing bandwidth.

Secondarily, this allows us to download and retain copies of our favourite shows, even the entire archive, without putting any burden on the pot-tv servers.

There's lots of background and rationale in the threads above, so onto the beta test. I've been downloading the archive over the last few weeks. So far I have about 80Gig, and as a beta test I'm going to start publishing sample torrents in this thread for people to try and comment on.

If you know what you're doing, skip on ahead to the torrents below. Otherwise, you'll want to read up on BitTorrent and get yourself a good client like Azureus and check out some of the popular BitTorrent sites like TorrentSpy etc.

Here we go:

Pot-TV Show #0373
Pot-TV Show #0800
Pot-TV Show #1131
Pot-TV Show #1300
Pot-TV Show #1556
Pot-TV Show #1574
Pot-TV Show #3334

I'll add more files as I go. What I ask for in return is comments and feedback, as well as fellow seeders!

#2 kractor

kractor

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:49 AM

going to fire some of these up in a few moments and i'll be sure and let you know what sort of results i have ... more than happy to share out some of my bandwidth to seed these things for a time after they're done ... let me know when you put more torrents up, i'll be sure to keep archives of both the shows and the torrents.

#3 v00d00

v00d00

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:05 AM

Oh how flippin sweet is this!

I'm throwing them all on my client to help host!

I'll donate 90% of my bandwidth (4Mbit connection) while not using the computer myself.

Edit: Wow, those torrents downloaded *FAST* and with a few more people jumping onboard it's going to be insane. Pot-TV really needs to dig there hands into this technology.. it may not be a replacement, but its a fantastic aid in their cause with little to no additional cost on their part.

Awesome job Niall, I just gave you 5stars for your selfless assistance to spread the seeds of revolution!

#4 RaceNeked420

RaceNeked420

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationPanama City Beach, Florida

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:26 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

This is the coolest idea! I certainly wish that I diddnt haqve bandwidth restrictions, but I shall certainly be happy to review and send comments and feed-back.

[image]http://www.geocities.com/raceneked/ani-cool.gif [/image]

#5 Bud-D-andPal

Bud-D-andPal

Stoner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Locationherbville

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:29 AM

Awesome!

Keep ém coming. I'll seed.

And thanks for the work you did. Much appreciated!

Can I get an Amen????

#6 JodieEmery

JodieEmery

Mrs. Marc Emery

• Administrators
  • 8,942 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

Absolutely!

I don't understand BitTorrent yet (when I have an hour of free time to browse the info page, I will! ) but this is such a generous and wonderful way to support us and help spread and share information world-wide.

Thank you Niall! I am SO glad we have your assistance. You're fantastic. Keep up the great work!

#7 v00d00

v00d00

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:10 PM

I think the next step is for Pot-TV to supply the torrent links alongside the streamed file links on their site.. then once all the files have torrents, we can start supplying them to other places like torrentspy.com, which will hit a mostlikely UNTAPPED audience.

I'm sure once people start doing searches on torrent spy for "pot" or "marijuana" and see these videos all up for sharing.. we'd even get a number of new members on CC and rally further support for our cause.

Hip Hip Hooray for the Internet!

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:48 PM

Working great! I'll continue seeding.

#9 Kirk Tousaw

Kirk Tousaw

Barrister

• Members
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationJoin the NDP!

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:56 PM

I'm currently grabbing all in the first post.

Small files, actually. Biggest is less than 2 MB. This may have already been suggested, but may I suggest a different naming convention? Perhaps: nameofshow.pottv.net.filetype?

Great idea to propogate these shows.

Kirk Tousaw
Barrister

Blog: TousawLaw
Law Firm: Conroy & Company

#10 Gopal108

Gopal108

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  • LocationTime and Space

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

It works really well for me. I would definately watch the all the shows this way if it were available. Does one become a seed if they simply keep bittorrent open after completeing the download?

#11 kractor

kractor

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:09 PM

Quote:

It works really well for me. I would definately watch the all the shows this way if it were available. Does one become a seed if they simply keep bittorrent open after completeing the download?

generally, yes ... though i have seen some clients that allow the user to set various parameters for what happens when a file finishes downloading. myself, i've just been leaving the files seeding since they finished this morning, strangely doesn't seem that many people are hitting me for pieces ... heh.

keep the eps coming, i'll keep grabbing them and seeding out as long as i can ...

#12 Gopal108

Gopal108

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  • LocationTime and Space

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:22 PM

Yeah, it was just a straight download for me, no upload, but this is an obscure part of the forums. I imagine that newer shows on pot-tv would be quite popular.

#13 kractor

kractor

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:45 PM

haven't even watched any of the ones i've downloaed yet myself, been busy getting the apt ready for moving and trying to tie up other things before i start the new job.

#14 ganesha

ganesha

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,822 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:21 PM

SWEET!
Thank U, Thank U, Thank U!

Marijauna: The Steroids of Competitive Eating

#15 niall

niall

Journeyman

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 09:22 PM

Wow, glad to see such a positive response!

The statistics are pretty impressive so far, I've got graphs up now and will maintain links to all torrents here:
https://www.Marijuan...a.net/torrents/

So far we've transferred about 2.7Gig (at no cost to pot-tv) of these 7 shows. A total of 42 people have downloaded them, of which 29 are still seeding. If I read this right, we hit 1.63Mbps at peak. I think pot-tv can only stream at about 100-200kbps.

What speeds are people getting from the current seeders?

What we need to do now is open this up to more people and see how this affects the stats. Could people start spreading this thread's URL to other pot-tv viewers?

I'll make my next priority to get the most recent 20 shows up, and maybe we could trial some links on the pot-tv homepage. We really need as many regular viewers using these torrents to see what potential this system has.

After that, if all goes well, then we need a technical contact from pot-tv who we can hand over to, setup an official pot-tv.net tracker so that they can retain statistics themselves, and try to automate the generation of .torrent files as new shows are published. If the budget is tight and there are no technical staff available, I'm happy to help via ssh.

Thanks guys, this is looking quite successful so far!

#16 v00d00

v00d00

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:08 PM

Wow, my mind has been blown.

#17 Ebl

Ebl

Stoner

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • LocationE. Sussex, UK

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:27 AM

Great idea, torrents will take a huge strain off the Pot TV servers. Another idea could be to start a usenet group to upload binaries to, say a few a day.

Alot of good usenet servers have long-term retention(http://www.newshosting.com provides 45 day retention) so episodes would not need to be uploaded constantly. I'll get a few uploaded once these torrents are done, and post the group name here

With blood I soak my idols, with pride I set my sails

Othala

#18 RichRawlings

RichRawlings

Old hand

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Location861 S. Kim Moor Rd. Peoria, IL. 61605

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:00 AM

I just made my first torrent file. It is Loretta in DC and you can download it HERE

Yesterday WE cannot change,
Today WE can,
Tomorrow WE will GROW!

#19 v00d00

v00d00

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:44 AM

Quote:

I just made my first torrent file. It is Loretta in DC and you can download it HERE

Link doesn't work Rich.. comes up saying "You do not have permission to download documents"

#20 Karlis

Karlis

Enthusiast

• Administrators
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:46 AM

Nice work guys! The "official" pot-tv torrent tracker has been up for some time now but it's way more in alpha than even beta. But check it out anyway
http://media.pot.tv:6969
The system is set up to produce a torrent from anything chris uploads to the server (which doesn't work for the shows he's posting lately, since they're from other sites). I consider this an incomplete solution since I haven't been able to get the system seeding all the shows, I haven't seen any good software for seeding 3000+ files at once (reliable and stable).
Where are you downloading the shows from? Are you capturing the data from the stream? What are you using for a tracker? I really like the tracker graphs, what are you using to generate those?

If you want to help integrate the tracker info and the pot-tv site, you can contact me via email tracker 'at' gpster.net